c) Jerry cans were never cool

d) Wind generators are passe
Succinct and accurate.
Old 24-08-2023, 21:03   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Not right now...

Well I agree with Dalbright

I really can't be bothered filling in an on line form to leave England and another to arrive in France. So next week we are going sailing along the Jurassic Coast to Devon and Cornwall sampling the delights of cream teas with clotted cream and jam.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cream tea.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	280079  
Old 24-08-2023, 23:56   #18

Not right now...

There were many people In 2020 who would have given practically everything they owned to be swinging at anchor 150’ off a beautiful beach.
Most countries I’ve been to don’t accept US currency…. The money changers will… happily, and give you local currency to buy stuff with. Indonesia, Laos and Vietnam like $US to varying degrees. Most world cruisers have various methods of dealing with foreign currency transactions that include cash, cards pre loaded with the currencies of the countries they plan to visit(Revolut) and even gold and silver coins( bullion’s not quite so useful).
Old 25-08-2023, 00:14   #19
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Well I agree with Dalbright

Devon and Cornwall sampling the delights of cream teas with clotted cream and jam.

Pete

No better place in the world to do that!!
Old 25-08-2023, 00:33   #20

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
Here you go:

As someone who deeply cares about the preservation of our culture, heritage, and way of life, I implore you to reconsider your reckless desire to sail around the world. While the allure of adventure may be enticing, it is imperative that you recognize the potential threats that such a journey poses to our cherished traditions.

First and foremost, embarking on a global voyage opens the door to exposure to foreign influences that could erode the very fabric of our society. Each land you visit will undoubtedly introduce you to unfamiliar customs, languages, and beliefs that run contrary to our established norms. The risk of contamination from these alien ideas could lead to a dilution of our values and a loss of the unique identity that defines us.

Furthermore, the act of sailing to foreign shores inherently endangers our national security. In an era of uncertainty, we cannot overlook the possibility that you may unwittingly gather sensitive information or be exploited by malicious actors seeking to undermine our way of life. Your interactions with foreigners could inadvertently provide them with insights into our strengths and weaknesses, making us vulnerable to potential threats.

Let us not forget the economic ramifications of your proposed endeavor. Every dollar spent abroad is a dollar that could have bolstered our own economy. By venturing into foreign markets, you divert resources away from local businesses and contribute to the decline of our own industries. This, in turn, leads to job losses and economic instability, putting the livelihoods of our fellow citizens at risk.

Moreover, the environmental toll of global travel is undeniable. Sailing around the world requires the consumption of precious natural resources and the emission of pollutants into the atmosphere. The carbon footprint generated by your voyage would contribute to climate change, further destabilizing our environment and impacting the lives of those living in vulnerable regions.

In conclusion, I implore you to reconsider your ill-conceived notion of sailing around the world. Instead of chasing after fleeting thrills, let us focus on safeguarding our heritage, security, economy, and environment. By staying home and preserving the sanctity of our way of life, we can ensure a brighter future for ourselves and the generations to come.
[emoji1787] Priceless, lol, rofl.
Old 25-08-2023, 00:38   #21

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Well I agree with Dalbright [emoji3]

I really can't be bothered filling in an on line form to leave England and another to arrive in France. So next week we are going sailing along the Jurassic Coast to Devon and Cornwall sampling the delights of cream teas with clotted cream and jam.

Pete
Enjoy. I do remember Scones & clotted cream as delightful treats!

Still, the delights of Sardegna or France are worth the occasional escape [emoji3]Click image for larger version

Name:	20230823_133146.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	280083
Old 25-08-2023, 01:07   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

It doesn't really matter, to cruisers [international travelers], what the world's RESERVE CURRENCY is; as long as it's stable, with large and open [liquid] financial markets.

To date, this best describes the U.S. Dollar.

The U.S. dollar has been the world’s principal [but, not only*] reserve currency, since the end of World War II [the Bretton Woods Conference, in 1944], and is the most widely used currency [59%], for international trade.

As of July 2023, China has by far the most reported foreign currency reserves, of any country, with more than $3 trillion.
Japan, in second place, has around $1.1 trillion.
India, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Switzerland, and Taiwan also have large reserve holdings.
The United States currently holds roughly $244 billion worth of assets, in its pool of reserves, including $36 billion worth of foreign currencies.

* The International Monetary Fund [IMF] recognizes eight major reserve currencies: the Australian dollar [2%], the British pound sterling [4.9%], the Canadian dollar [2.4%], the Chinese renminbi or yuan [2.6%], the euro [19.8%], the Japanese yen [5.5%], the Swiss franc [3.9%], and the U.S. dollar [59%].

Old 25-08-2023, 03:02   #23

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

"Tha Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, on this very forum."
Old 25-08-2023, 03:36   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Not right now...

I Wish I Had One More Chance To Say What Really Mattered but.. The Answer is out there Neo..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 28-08-2023, 22:44   #25

Boat: Nordship 808

You forgot that with the rising whale population, you are almost certain to hit one at night and sink.
If you are lucky it will just eat your rudder.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:30   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Sweet Jesus, someone's been watching too many apocalypse movies. Take a deep breath. It's going to be OK.
I SECOND THAT!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2023, 09:02   #27

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Feel safer in the Bahama out islands than in many US locations.

That said, the world is upside down from the perspective of this old man. But what Ya gonna do?
Old 01-09-2023, 09:05   #28

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Stopped reading at "organic couple".
Old 01-09-2023, 09:10   #29

Boat: Looking

Fear mongering.
Old 01-09-2023, 12:30   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

A true cruiser learns to regard adversity as a game. Just when you think everything is going right is the time you should be looking around and worry. Something important is about to break or everything is about to change.

Being able to adapt and cope becomes what makes cruising satisfying.

I miss the Philippines not because it was easy, but because I learned where to buy things on different islands, how to important engine parts, and which machine shop located in a hard to reach location could be trusted.

People who have no ability to cope with adversity have no business sailing.
Closed Thread