Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2015, 11:03   #46
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: On getting liked and getting along..,

On the mobile versions of CF it doesn't remi d me how long I have been here. But I guess it was about 2007.

Over the years I have spoken to a number of the Old and Bold and most have mentioned becoming jaded with idiots with little experience telling the person with experience they are wrong. So the old guys drift off and don't miss it after a while.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 11:16   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I looked for people that used to post in 08 when I started this. Only Gordon, Z are left now. Where did they all go? Even the even handed ones are gone, had their feelings hurt by some yahoo who wanted to give an opinion, or maybe a few that wanted them to conform.
No more.
I am not going to be hurt by someone's post. If they listen or feel like they have the better way- more power to them.
I will still pick them up when they are treading water.
Please put me on ignore if you don't want to hear what I have to say.
But I'm going to say it anyway.- no matter what is PC, or the groupthink is.
I think (i.e., my yahoo opinion) that you're overlooking the obvious.

It is altogether possible that some forum members:

1) Drown (or just wind up on the rocks and give up)
2) Go sailing
3) Just like to read, instead of post, or just don't wish to contribute very much
4) Get arthritis (or worse) and sell the boat (or their children sell it)
5) Learn what they need to know and log off
6) Find a new hobby

Not really a big mystery. Most Internet forums revolve in just such a manner.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 11:41   #48

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I am very happy that I have (recently) joined this community. I started to learn more about a subject I really love and it has been great for that. Have there been some curmudgeons on here that I would love to put a harpoon in to? YES! But I may be one of those too. What I have learned, and try to practice, with some failures, is to be as neutral and even kind as I can be to those who are new, ask "silly" questions, ask the same question a thousand times (what boat should I buy?), and even those who get under my skin.

And, I have an OCD in "trying" to help people. Not sure why. I don't really think I am trying to show others just how much I know to make me feel better. I try to do it to actually help someone who hasn't traveled down the same path before, or who struggles with some aspects that don't come as easy for them as it does for others. I have noted a few times when I didn't phrase things in the best way and I try to make amends if needed. Anyway, it is fun for me, and now I spend hours on this stupid forum!! Must be trying to avoid some real work I have to do.

I think some of the sarcastic ones don't always do it on purpose and don't realize how it comes across sometimes. I have learned a great deal from some of those on here. The nature of the medium I think.

There are lots of opinions, many of which are diametrically opposed, and some even violate the basic standards of common sense and reality, but they are as valid as any others in the scheme of things. If something might end up being dangerous if someones best advice is followed by a newbie I will go out of my way to emphasize those parts. But otherwise there are a gazillion ways to skin the proverbial cat (now where did that little gem of an adage come from?).

What I really enjoy though is irritating those who like short responses to everything.

I thank everyone on this forum who has answered my questions and answered questions I didn't know I had. And viva la difference. Or as Jack Nicholson says in "Mars Attacks", "Why can't we just all get along?"
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 12:00   #49

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
I looked for people that used to post in 08 when I started this. Only Gordon, Z are left now. Where did they all go? Even the even handed ones are gone, had their feelings hurt by some yahoo who wanted to give an opinion, or maybe a few that wanted them to conform.
No more.
I am not going to be hurt by someone's post. If they listen or feel like they have the better way- more power to them.
I will still pick them up when they are treading water.
Please put me on ignore if you don't want to hear what I have to say.
But I'm going to say it anyway.- no matter what is PC, or the groupthink is.
Come on really!? Maybe thicker skin is in order here. I've been here since 06. IMHO most of the people that left were non-boat owners living vicariously through others experience, trolls or arm-chair sailors.
This is a forum...an electronic way of communicating an opinion. It's not a chat room. Although some treat it as such and the drama comes into play.
In reality...if someone does not like what I say, they should not read it or at least except it as some ones opinion and move on.
In all actuality, I don't care about your opinion, so no need to ignore you. This is not High school and not a popularity contest (read the likeability thread) I think they got it right.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 12:30   #50

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
I think (i.e., my yahoo opinion) that you're overlooking the obvious.

It is altogether possible that some forum members:

1) Drown (or just wind up on the rocks and give up)
2) Go sailing
3) Just like to read, instead of post, or just don't wish to contribute very much
4) Get arthritis (or worse) and sell the boat (or their children sell it)
5) Learn what they need to know and log off
6) Find a new hobby

Not really a big mystery. Most Internet forums revolve in just such a manner.
Yeah, sure Clyde, but where the HECK have YOU been??!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 13:02   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Yeah, sure Clyde, but where the HECK have YOU been??!
You lost me. Can you rephrase that question?
Old 15-12-2015, 13:26   #52

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
You lost me. Can you rephrase that question?
Just haven't "seen" you around for awhile. But this forum seems so vast that maybe I'm the one who hasn't been around.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 13:34   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Just haven't "seen" you around for awhile. But this forum seems so vast that maybe I'm the one who hasn't been around.
Oh. Now I understand. I fall into categories 3 and 5 from my list, as do many others here, I suspect; i.e., not much to say (add) or just read, learn, and leave. I had a pen pal when I was 8, yet that was many many years ago.

I sometimes notice a very cogent post, and when I glance at the contributor it is a member that has posted 4 times since joining in 2006. Some folks keep to themselves, others post daily. That, in and of itself, is quite instructive.

I wonder if my pen pal is a member here.
Old 15-12-2015, 13:39   #54
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
"Why can't we just all get along?"
Wasn't that Rodney King?
Old 15-12-2015, 14:00   #55

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
On the mobile versions of CF it doesn't remi d me how long I have been here. But I guess it was about 2007.

Over the years I have spoken to a number of the Old and Bold and most have mentioned becoming jaded with idiots with little experience telling the person with experience they are wrong. So the old guys drift off and don't miss it after a while.
Seems like longer…

Yes, those idiots who keep sailing their Beneteaus around the world and on long offshore passages have jaded some of the experts to apoplexy.

No wonder they don't stick around.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 15:00   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Wow, forgot that I bared my soul yesterday and this thread is already 4 pages long! Forgive my not mentioning all the old timers that are here. I was just too lazy to go through and find all of you, but believe me, I enjoy your company (maybe not as much as Astrid and Sarafina) and I am glad you are here.
The one post thanking for advice was very nice, I will pass it on to MarkJ and Jackdale and Ann and Jim and.... (the ones that I admire)
And I will mention the designer of my boat- who was banned- Bob. I still wish I could hear from him.
To my friends who have gone...I raise a toast. And to my friends still here...have a Merry Christmas and I look forward to a great year learning with you!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 15:01   #57

Boat: Gemini 3200

Sometimes people just move on. I used to post frequently in a hacker forum but then I got busy and then it just bored me. 8 hours of security talk is enough for one day. I suspect the same is true here...one day I will become bored and move on but for now, it's a good break.

Regarding meaness: life's too short. I will quickly put someone on my ignore list if someone crosses the line.
rassabossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 15:38   #58

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: On getting liked and getting along..,

Quote:
Wow, forgot that I bared my soul yesterday and this thread is already 4 pages long! Forgive my not mentioning all the old timers that are here. I was just too lazy to go through and find all of you, but believe me, I enjoyyour company (maybe not as much as Astrid and Sarafina)

I've had electron crushes on both those great women.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 18:47   #59

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

I like this thread - almost feels therapeutic...

Some have a goal of sailing, and use the forum for knowledge in building toward the goal. I have learned to be clear in my posts when requesting info, and patient when others either don't read well, or just feel like not answering the question. It is what it is.

However, there are some who rub me the wrong way. I hate the negative shutdown reply: "No, you are not doing it correctly". With nothing to add. It is like some folks need a class in netiquette and how to post a constructive comment. Oh well. I sail for a laid back relaxing time, and am learning to try to experience this forum in a similar manner.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 03:12   #60

Boat: Catalina 25' "Grace"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
I like this thread -...
Some have a goal of sailing, and use the forum for knowledge in building toward the goal. I have learned to be clear in my posts when requesting info, and patient ....
"No, you are not doing it correctly". With nothing to add.... how to post a constructive comment. ...sail for a laid back relaxing time, ... try to experience this forum in a similar manner.
Tankersteve
These forums are my best sources for learning sail boating, relaxing and how to be a part of a community.
I really appreciate everyone's contributions.
Thank you, James
jmczzz is offline   Reply With Quote