Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 14:05   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Overland vs. ICW vs. Captain

Not sure where to post this, so I decided to keep it general.

Tayana 37 in Galveston, Texas and in the middle of the second big refit (we did a big one and sailed her for three years - Texas to Maryland to Puerto Rico to Carribean and back to Texas. Now we know what we actually want and have started doing that). Half the damn boat is in a storage shed.

The boat needs a new engine and the mast is getting pulled soon. Of course, life decided to screw with us, and we need to move to Maryland soon for family reasons.

Here are the choices as far as I can see it:

1. Overland transport - quotes are coming at at 11 freaking thousand dollars and much higher.
2. Replace the engine, strap down the mast, and take her via the ICW from Texas to Maryland - minimum two week off from work, need crew (or wife takes two weeks off as well) risking the shallow spots (she's 6 foot draft.) and motoring the Chesapeake bay.
3. Replace the engine, put the entire boat back together, make her seaworthy at time and cost and hire a captain to get her to Maryland.
4. Sell our beloved Tayana for whatever a half dismantled project will bring (not much, I know), move to Maryland, and buy a new Tayana (or something).

Am I missing anything?
Advice?
What would you do?
Thanks all.
Old Today, 14:13   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Overland vs. ICW vs. Captain

Considering the $$ required to move it, (which will be lost money) option #4 to sell it, and start over.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:11   #3

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
Re: Overland vs. ICW vs. Captain

Based on past experiences with deliveries, overland transport is the least painful and probably cheapest. Sorry to say, but in my opinion, an old sailboat in that state of affairs literally has no value or may have negative value (cost to dispose of.) If you have the energy and funds to finish the work, and the boat has sentimental value to you, then $11,000 is not too bad to have the project close enough to home to finish.

Hope I'm not being too blunt! Trucking a boat is a quick and easy way to move it. And it's a long, long way from Texas to Maryland by water.
Tia Bu is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, icw