Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2021, 12:04   #46

Boat: Sailboat 51'
Re: Owning and keeping 2 boats at different location

I also have boats in two locations. Experience what others share in this post. Like most two (or more) boat owners we are chasing the climate. We have our cruiser in Alaska and can't ask for a better place to explore in the northern summer than up here. We keep our sailboat in the Sea of Cortez, the season down in Mexico for us runs from Nov - June. I'll be taking my last trip for the season next week to tidy things up for the summer.

My personnel preference for when we are away is to have a "boat watch person" you can trust to keep an eye on things.

All of this cost money, so for many it is not in reach and or a big commitment. 95% of my time is split between work and boat work, both I enjoy one just a little more than the other.

We do this because it is the lifestyle we love, being on the water as much as possible. And by the way my therapy is boat work and I need a lot of therapy!
Kenatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 12:25   #47

Boat: Catfisher sloop w/ Mercedes & Catfisher 28' w/ Kubota

We have two Catfishers with one in Michigan and one in Florida. We keep the Florida Catfisher in the water between two locks year around so it sits in fresh water with a dehumidifier running in the summer and a guy walking by every day. We spent the winters on board (5-6 months) and then back to Michigan for the summers. We put the Michigan cat on the hard for the winter.....it's about one mile from our house. Cost is very reasonable.
Huey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:08   #48

I am surprised that there are much more people than I thought keeping 2 boats at different climate, and larger boats that I initially thought as well.
It is encouraging to see that it isn't as much trouble as I imagined.

I planned to relocate to another northern country for business opportunity, but still keep a boat in my home country.
I hope it'll work out well.
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:38   #49

Boat: Hunter 450,42,456 (3 boats)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wckoek View Post
I've heard of people keeping a boat near where they stay and another in their vacation location, or they use one boat dedicated to racing.

I wondered if anyone here keep more than one boat, especially at different location?
If such arrangement works out well for you?
Well,”Who has the most toys……..”. We have 3 boats and a class C motor home. We are technically homeless. Two of our boats are in Europe and one is in Georgia. The RV is in Florida. The boat in Holland is a Hunter42 we have cruised for 10 years 6 months a year around the rivers and canals. The Hunter 456 we bought in Greece and use 3 months or more in the Adriatic, presently tied up in Porto Montenegro. ( a super yacht marina) The third “floating home” in Georgia is a Hunter 450 we stay on when not in Europe or RVing. We did a 10 year circumnavigation back in the day with our young kids as far as Australia and I single handed back to Hawaii via the Indian Ocean, Good Hope, Panama a pleasant 49 day passage. I’ve had no trouble keeping up with maintenance as the boats are very similar and after all “Cruising is boat maintenance in exotic places.”
stacyanna21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:37   #50

Boat: Hunter 46

stacyanna21...........Hunter 460, 42 & 456.....now that is a testimonial for Hunter sailboats!! We love our Hunter 46.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:36   #51

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

RE: Storing boats in FL
I had 2 boats for several years. One in NJ and one stored over the summer in FL.
I stored in FL in two places. The first was in Green Cove Springs. It was in a grubby do it yourself yard which is just what I wanted. Green Cove Springs is a day past Jacksonville in the Saint John River. The advantages are cost, way inland for protection and fresh water. The fresh water was relevant the year I stayed in the water at the Reynolds Marina. Disadvantages are being several days away from a good jumping off inlet for going to the Bahamas and a bridge on the river with barely 64' clearance. Another problem several years ago was theft on stored boats. I hope this is no longer a problem.
The last place I had the boat for storage was at Riverside Marina near FT Pierce. This was also a grubby do it yourself marina for a good price. It is more exposed being on the coast, but, positioned well for going and coming from the Bahamas. Their equipment and service was excellent.
You must "summerize" a boat for summer storage in FL which is quite different than winterizing up north.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 15:16   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.g.evans View Post
RE: Storing boats in FL
I had 2 boats for several years. One in NJ and one stored over the summer in FL.
I stored in FL in two places. The first was in Green Cove Springs. It was in a grubby do it yourself yard which is just what I wanted. Green Cove Springs is a day past Jacksonville in the Saint John River. The advantages are cost, way inland for protection and fresh water. The fresh water was relevant the year I stayed in the water at the Reynolds Marina. Disadvantages are being several days away from a good jumping off inlet for going to the Bahamas and a bridge on the river with barely 64' clearance. Another problem several years ago was theft on stored boats. I hope this is no longer a problem.
The last place I had the boat for storage was at Riverside Marina near FT Pierce. This was also a grubby do it yourself marina for a good price. It is more exposed being on the coast, but, positioned well for going and coming from the Bahamas. Their equipment and service was excellent.
You must "summerize" a boat for summer storage in FL which is quite different than winterizing up north.
What do you mean by "summerize"

Ventilation? or antifoul if you left it on the wet?
Old 01-06-2021, 19:07   #53

Boat: Ferrari. Enzo 11mtr cat

I keep a 14mtr Schionning cat at the Goldcoast, on the hard Nov to April and a 11.8mtr Ferrari Enzo cat in an Auckland marina by my house for use in summer, Nov to April.
Works for me, no more winters!
FerrariSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 02:57   #54

Boat: Corvette 320 32’

An interesting topic. It was great to read how some of you actually manage such a situation with very informative detail. More of these types of response would be much appreciated.
Britboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:28   #55

I was asked what "summerized" meant for storing a boat in FL over the summer.

I did not worry about freezing, although I emptied the water tank and filled the fuel to avoid water intrusion due to the humidity. I spread every poison available at the hardware store about the boat for insects. I stuffed a mesh in all through hull fittings to stop insects. I wiped most surfaces with 50% vinegar and 50% water to avoid mold. I propped the cushions for maximum air circulation. I had solar panels and I connected them directly to 3-4 24 V fans that circulated air around the inside of the boat. They ran when the sun was out and didn't run at night. There were no connections to boat batteries. Some marinas require a drain in the keel to stop the boat from filling with water in a hurricane. I was able to use the raw water engine intake. Finally I covered the boat with an open mesh sun fabric that I got at the Green Cove Springs Marina. Home Depot sells something similar.

The above worked. I had no mold or insects.
Old 02-06-2021, 14:03   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.g.evans View Post
I was asked what "summerized" meant for storing a boat in FL over the summer.

I did not worry about freezing, although I emptied the water tank and filled the fuel to avoid water intrusion due to the humidity. I spread every poison available at the hardware store about the boat for insects. I stuffed a mesh in all through hull fittings to stop insects. I wiped most surfaces with 50% vinegar and 50% water to avoid mold. I propped the cushions for maximum air circulation. I had solar panels and I connected them directly to 3-4 24 V fans that circulated air around the inside of the boat. They ran when the sun was out and didn't run at night. There were no connections to boat batteries. Some marinas require a drain in the keel to stop the boat from filling with water in a hurricane. I was able to use the raw water engine intake. Finally I covered the boat with an open mesh sun fabric that I got at the Green Cove Springs Marina. Home Depot sells something similar.

The above worked. I had no mold or insects.
Good tips, you mean you filled the fuel tanks full to avoid water intrusion or condensation?
The most I do is just boat cover and I am thinking of installing solar vent on hatches.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:32   #57

I have 2 x 28 foot sailboats which are kept in the water all year long. The one in lake michigan is bubbled in a marina condo for the winter. Fortunately, there is only a summer payment of rent to the slip owner and a small fee for electricity in the winter, as they are happy getting help with their condo fees as they do not want to sell their slip.

In Florida, the boat is behind my house at my dock in a canal and the hull is cleaned every month which is standard for everyone in florida. Sailing buddies in both locations keep an eye on the boats. When i leave a boat, it is winterized by removing all cushions, sails, etc and they go into storage in a dry garage. Also, change the oil, close seacock and leave engine and other compartments open so air flows throughout the cabin by using a small marine heating rod heater on the floor over the uncovered bilge which keeps convection currents of air circulating thereby reduces mildew. When I return to a boat there is a lot of work cleaning inside and outside of the boat and preparing for a season of sailing. Been doing it for over 10 years and it is worth it to have the opportunity to sail all year round.
spiritsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:05   #58

RE: Why I fill the fuel tanks while "summerizing".
By filling the tank I eliminate a large air volume that expands and contracts due to heating and cooling. Less volume of air means less humid air is sucked into the tank. I fill the tank for winterizing up N for the same reason.

I have used FPPF fuel additive in both N and S boats for 25 years and can't detect any water or sludge in the bottom of the tanks. The FPPF emulsifies the water and it is then burned in the engine. The Yanmar distributor told me not to use Bio-bore for it kills bacteria growing in any water and causes sludge in the bottom of the tank leaving both sludge and water behind.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:01   #59

I have done that for many years, one in FloridaéBahamas and a summer boat here in Nova Scotia. All of the pervious comments apply, double the cost, double the work etc. But something new: I am always putting one boat to bed and a short time later prepping the other boat for launch. There is never an off season, like having the winter to work in the garage on projects for the summer boat, it can be difficult to keep up. But I love my boats and am not giving it up.
Cabot36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:18   #60

On the cheaper end of things, a friend keeps a ~20 ft minicruiser at a club near his home west of Ottawa ON for the summers, and a 24' Bristol at a marina on the Gulf Coast in Northern Florida, that he lives on from about Feb to May. The boats are on the hard out of season. Not for everyone, but the costs are quite reasonable - a great way to have near year-round sailing without the expense of a larger boat and the hassle/time commitment of moving it back and forth every year.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat