Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2018, 13:39   #61
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Oyster Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Get the VFR, that is a nice sport touring bike, except for my old CBR 1100 XX. The VFR is a close second in my mind, but the Blackbird was something special.
Naah.. I'll stick with my 1992 Kawa 500 thanks.. it'll do the speed limit with ease with 50kph to spare and returns up to 220km to the 15litre tank..
In Portugal bikes n cars cost double what they cost in the UK..
My bike can be bought for £1000 in the UK.. it cost me €2500, mind that was with just 21000km on the clock.
Rather have a sailboat and the Kawa..
Nearly bought this.. sadly a week long trial put me off, wrists were killing me.. awesome ride tho'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170523_115924.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	164094  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 14:07   #62

Boat: L42
Re: Oyster Yachts

The best off road and Motocross bikes are now KTM, an Austrian company, which also happens to own HUSQVARNA Motorcycles.

HUSQVARNA will likely win the Supercross championship in the USA this year for the first time!
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 14:16   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Beta are Kubota, Japanese.
Right...and British.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 14:29   #64
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

The UK is Japans back door into the EU.. as there's a ban on completed imports, so Japan ships parts into assembly plants in the UK and they are then sold in the EU as Made in the UK.. cars, engines etc.
They're now franticly doing trade deals with the EU in case Brexit happens.. and the EU who previously rejected them will now welcome them to try and stuff the UK.
Actually.. come to think on it.. Turkeys best hope of getting membership after over 20yrs of trying would be to pretend to negotiate a Trade Deal with the UK.. Junker, Barnier and Soros would be kissing Erdogans butt again in no time.

Old 13-02-2018, 14:34   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Naah.. I'll stick with my 1992 Kawa 500 thanks.. it'll do the speed limit with ease with 50kph to spare and returns up to 220km to the 15litre tank..
In Portugal bikes n cars cost double what they cost in the UK..
My bike can be bought for £1000 in the UK.. it cost me €2500, mind that was with just 21000km on the clock.
Rather have a sailboat and the Kawa..
Nearly bought this.. sadly a week long trial put me off, wrists were killing me.. awesome ride tho'.
You need a Suzuki Vstrom, upright seating and very comfy on longer trips. I had one of these for rode trips and camping and an Aprilia Tuono for track days.
Old 13-02-2018, 15:13   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
You need a Suzuki Vstrom, upright seating and very comfy on longer trips. I had one of these for rode trips and camping and an Aprilia Tuono for track days.
This will likely be the last bike I own.
But then again.. I am a fickle soul..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171010_172251.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	164106  

Old 13-02-2018, 15:18   #67

Quote:
This will likely be the last bike I own.
But then again.. I am a fickle soul..
Can't say I know this model...We folks in NA or way over biked. 500cc is just right for 90% of the riding anyone does.
Old 13-02-2018, 15:23   #68

The question re Oysters demise was not about quality or customer satisfaction, except for the customer who insisted on stretching a 85ft design to a 95ft vessel, with a garage in the stern, resulting in the keel falling off.
The liability for Oyster and their insurers to replace the vessel and associated costs was more than could be handled from the profits from their 80 Million order book, hence a pull out from the investors.
Oyster has satisfactory designed, build, sold and serviced thousands of yachts over many years without major issues but as someone rightly observed the 95 footer could have been THE mistake.
Not sure what motor cycles have to do with it though.
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 15:29   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari View Post
The question re Oysters demise was not about quality or customer satisfaction, except for the customer who insisted on stretching a 85ft design to a 95ft vessel, with a garage in the stern, resulting in the keel falling off.
The liability for Oyster and their insurers to replace the vessel and associated costs was more than could be handled from the profits from their 80 Million order book, hence a pull out from the investors.
Oyster has satisfactory designed, build, sold and serviced thousands of yachts over many years without major issues but as someone rightly observed the 95 footer could have been THE mistake.
Not sure what motor cycles have to do with it though.
Me thinks your somewhat prone to exaggeration Oyster have never built thousands of yachts...motorcycles were a good break in the subject.
Old 13-02-2018, 15:30   #70
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I fail to see how stretching a design 10ft would result in a keel falling off, if the design was modified surely that would have extended to the keel.. and the mounting structure strengthened for the extra length/ballast.
If not, they were blatantly stupid.

Old 13-02-2018, 15:36   #71
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Get the VFR, that is a nice sport touring bike, except for my old CBR 1100 XX. The VFR is a close second in my mind, but the Blackbird was something special.
I sold the Blackbird to go cruising, something that I thought I would never do, cause I’m pretty certain that it was my last Superbike.
The VFR is my favorite road bike. I sold my '86 700 after I picked up a '98 800 with the fuel injection. Best thing to ever hit motorcycles, fuel injection. Just put it into long-term storage this past fall for an extended hibernation. It probably won't see light again for at least 5-10 years. I have no doubt that after that time if I throw some fresh gas in the tank and a new battery it will crank right over and fire up immediately. Best road bike I ever owned. I quit racing dirt bikes back in the early 90's and my last Yamaha IT200 is parked in a shed and will probably never run again or even be unearthed from the pile short of a fire. I let my dad use my XR650L to putter around on now that I'm going cruising. Not really a dirt bike in my mind but would do OK in the woods as long as it wasn't too wet or greasy where its morbid obesity would really slow it down. Made for a fun thumper city bike to ride for short hops around town.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 15:42   #72

Quote:
I fail to see how stretching a design 10ft would result in a keel falling off, if the design was modified surely that would have extended to the keel.. and the mounting structure strengthened for the extra length/ballast.
If not, they were blatantly stupid.
As was mentioned they made a MISTAKE! And it probably cost them the company!
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 15:44   #73

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari View Post
It seems that there is some confusion here. It was not the costumer that modified the Oyster, it was Oyster that modified the boat, I hope under the designer supervision.

That's Oyster responsibility not the customer responsibility. if it could not be done or if it was dangerous Oyster only had to inform the client that it was not possible.

I don't know if you know but after the accident Oyster called all the 85fters that were reinforced on the keel area. That is not consistent with the problem to be caused by the increase in length of a particular boat.

Regards indemnization I heard somebody that knew the owner saying that Oyster had not acted correctly (in what regards indemnization) and that the problem was not yet solved.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 15:44   #74

VFR is a very high quality bike, never owned one but have ridden them often. These days the slight forward seating position makes it a bit uncomfortable for me after a couple of hours riding but they are uber smooth and deliver almost sport bike road control.
Old 19-03-2018, 23:46   #75

Boat: Southerly

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...eneur-richard/
Adrian Chen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oyster, yacht