Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2021, 13:16   #16

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Please... Make it stop!

Brave browser blocks adds and other stuff out of the box. No extensions or plug ins required.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 13:20   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Brave browser blocks adds and other stuff out of the box. No extensions or plug ins required.
Yes, I use it as well, but I find it breaks things more than other browsers. The nice thing about adblock is you can selectively turn it off on websites where the functionality is required.

In addition to ad blocking I also run snooper and tracker blocks via Ghostery. Right now there are eight snoopers on this very page that are being blocked. This prevents Google (mostly) from tracking my every digital move.
Old 16-02-2021, 13:49   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
Methinks you all have far too much spare time on your hands, me included for being sucked into this maelstrom...
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 13:50   #19

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

No less than 50% of my computer screen is taken by unwanted advertisements. It is enough to drive any sane person batty. I am not a PC WIZARD, but even those who are PC Pros cannot get rid of adverts. I suppose that ADVERTS are like Mother-N-Laws, you learn to live with them, or you Throw Mama From The Train.
The Old Senior Chief Retired
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 13:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing4Jesus View Post
No less than 50% of my computer screen is taken by unwanted advertisements. It is enough to drive any sane person batty. I am not a PC WIZARD, but even those who are PC Pros cannot get rid of adverts. I suppose that ADVERTS are like Mother-N-Laws, you learn to live with them, or you Throw Mama From The Train.
The Old Senior Chief Retired
My screen has 0% of its space taken up by ads. You don't have to be a computer wizard these days. Look up Adblock and Ghostery. Follow the instructions.

Or just enjoy all the ads. Your choice .
Old 16-02-2021, 14:23   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
How about "Feet/Pound" or "Feets/Pound or even Feets/Pounds for torque. Since the word "feet" is plural none of these make any sense at all. Torque (for 200 years) is measured in "foot/pounds" you morons who mostly write ads for car manufacturers.

PLEASE Let us get this straight, once and for all.

The foot-pound force (symbol: ft⋅lbf, ft⋅lbf, or ft⋅lb) is a unit of work or energy in the engineering and gravitational systems in United States customary and imperial units of measure. It is the energy transferred upon applying a force of one pound-force (lbf) through a linear displacement of one foot. The corresponding SI unit is the joule.

Whereas a pound-foot (lbf⋅ft or lb. ft.) is a unit of torque (a pseudovector). One pound-foot is the torque created by one pound of force acting at a perpendicular distance of one foot from a pivot point. Conversely one pound-foot is the moment about an axis that applies one pound-force at a radius of one foot.

The value in SI units is given by multiplying the following approximate factors:

One pound (force) = 4.448 222 newtons
One foot = 0.3048 metre.
This gives the conversion factor:

One pound-foot = 1.35582 newton metres.
The name "pound-foot", intended to minimize confusion with the foot-pound as a unit of work

1 Pound-foot (lb-ft) is equal to 1.355817952 newton-meters (N-m).

FYI.

The newton (symbol: N) is the International System of Units (SI) derived unit of force.

One newton is the force needed to accelerate one kilogram of mass at the rate of one metre per second squared in the direction of the applied force. The units "metre per second squared" can be understood as change in velocity per time, i.e. an increase of velocity by 1 metre per second every second.

For torque, one could also use pound-inch, or ounce-inch, but never, NEVER, foot/pounds, or meter/newtons.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 14:26   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
I am thinking of naming my next boat "Rocinante."
Steinbeck beat you to it

That was the name he gave his campervan as described in his "NYT#1 Best Seller" book "Travels With Charley".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 14:44   #23

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

My popups all say ch*#ks with d*#ks. I have no idea why they are targeting me with these ads.
Old 16-02-2021, 14:44   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, I use it as well, but I find it breaks things more than other browsers. The nice thing about adblock is you can selectively turn it off on websites where the functionality is required.

In addition to ad blocking I also run snooper and tracker blocks via Ghostery. Right now there are eight snoopers on this very page that are being blocked. This prevents Google (mostly) from tracking my every digital move.
It seems to have improved in this respect in recent times. I use it on most of my Android devices and good old Firefox and adblock plus on the PC's.

Never see ads and if I hit one of them sites that won't let you continue with an ad blocker, I either move on to the next one, or just open the link in a private windrow.

Both the above block all ads on YouTube, but here's a handy tip for cruising YouTube addicts; If you stream YouTube through the freely downloadable VLC player, you won't get the ads. Even better, it's pretty easy with the help of a few minutes internet research to download them for later off-line viewing using VLC, too.
Old 16-02-2021, 14:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
My popups all say ch*#ks with d*#ks. I have no idea why they are targeting me with these ads.
We could tell you why, but you probably ain't gunna like it!
Old 16-02-2021, 14:53   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Steinbeck beat you to it

That was the name he gave his campervan as described in his "NYT#1 Best Seller" book "Travels With Charley".
I love that book as does most every Montañan.

As depicted in the photo below, quoted are the words of John Steinbeck, from “Travels with Charley" expressing his sentiments regarding "The Last Best Place", my home state of Montana.

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it's difficult to analyze love when you're in it.”

The photo is taken at Apgar, at the west end of Lake McDonald in Glacier National Park, Montana at the west entrance to the park. The Going to the Sun Road travels along the south side of this 10 mile long, one mile wide, crystal clear, and cold alpine lake and travels up and over Logan Pass which is seen in the distance. So love sailing in Glacier.

Also attached is what Lake McDonald looks like in winter.

Steinbeck was not the only famous American that greatly admired Montana.
On May 26, 1864, then-President Abraham Lincoln signed into legislature the Montana Organic Act. This document effectively made Montana a territory of the Union. Abe Lincoln had not travelled to these northern territories but upon signing the Montana Organic Act, Lincoln remarked:

“My favorite state has not yet been invented. It will be called Montana, and it will be perfect.”

And Honest Abe spoke the truth, Montana is perfect. IMNSHO.

Speaking of pop up ads. When I click on an attached thumbnail image of a cruisersforum post, an add overlays the right side of the image disabling one to see the entirety of the thumbnail image in an enlarged format. This is a recent difficulty with the forum's advertising because in the past no advertisement overlayed the enlarge thumbnail images, the ads were displayed far to the righthand side. I wonder if someone could have the ad formats revised in their display to avoid this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steinbeck.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	232704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Steinbeck1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	232705  

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 15:29   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
It seems to have improved in this respect in recent times. I use it on most of my Android devices and good old Firefox and adblock plus on the PC's.

Never see ads and if I hit one of them sites that won't let you continue with an ad blocker, I either move on to the next one, or just open the link in a private windrow.

Both the above block all ads on YouTube, but here's a handy tip for cruising YouTube addicts; If you stream YouTube through the freely downloadable VLC player, you won't get the ads. Even better, it's pretty easy with the help of a few minutes internet research to download them for later off-line viewing using VLC, too.

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out VLC player, and spend more time with being Brave .
Old 16-02-2021, 15:54   #28

6000 Amps per day. This is a well known standard lightening unit. It means you get struck by a lightening bolt once every day. The 6000 Amps fries your brain making you susceptible to banal ads. that follow you around from one web site to another.

As for average and median intelligence, you should only accept comments from chaps called "Norm". Or guys with two names as in "bi-nomial".
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 16:41   #29

I'm a big Montana fan as well. I lived there 18 years. I climbed the highest mountain there which is a real bastard (but in a good way) and skied bottomless powder many times but for some reason I am now in Charleston, West Virginia USA. Long story.
By the Rocinante is also the name of the space ship in the Expanse saga on Amazon Prime. One of the best shows on now.
Old 16-02-2021, 16:42   #30

Firefox blocks trackers like FB btw.

Tags
lease