Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2018, 19:15   #1

Boat: 39' Whitesell Ketch
Progressive Lenses on Deck?

I recently bought two pairs of progressive lens sunglasses. Like many, I had perfect vision until about 40. Reading glasses followed, now I qualify for a distance prescription too, so I got the progressives. One of the side effects of them is blurry peripheral vision. Last week after a day sail, I went forward to do something, and lost my balance twice. I did not fall, but I think it was because the deck and bowsprit appeared to curve. Will I get used to this? Or should I take the glasses off up forward?
WanderingStar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 19:24   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Progressive Lenses on Deck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar39 View Post
I recently bought two pairs of progressive lens sunglasses. Like many, I had perfect vision until about 40. Reading glasses followed, now I qualify for a distance prescription too, so I got the progressives. One of the side effects of them is blurry peripheral vision. Last week after a day sail, I went forward to do something, and lost my balance twice. I did not fall, but I think it was because the deck and bowsprit appeared to curve. Will I get used to this? Or should I take the glasses off up forward?
I moved to progressive lenses about three years ago and I still dislike them and don't use them anywhere that is not straight and level. I find that they have their place but prefer single lenses.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 19:25   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

You're asking a personal question. Some people love them others can't stand them. I tried progressive lens for a year. When I sail my lenses are often smugged in places - nose sun screen, being bounced around, occasional spray. So you naturally tend to look around any dirty spots, but that changes the focal point. For me progressive lenses meant always having something out of focus.
Old 22-10-2018, 19:31   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

I've been wearing them for at least 20 years. I don't notice the different focal areas.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 20:37   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
I've been wearing them for at least 20 years. I don't notice the different focal areas.
I think some people are just much better at visually processing the info and naturally moving their eyes and head to a clear, focused position. I know other people who really like their progressives. They just didn't work well for me. A couple a months ago I asked my optometrist if I should try them again. Its been 6 or 7 years or so. He said no way, it ain't gonna be better.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 20:48   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I wear progressives on the boat, both regular glasses and sunglasses. They work great for me. My glasses have rather large lenses (as do most sunglasses) so there isn't a tiny sweet spot.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 06:25   #7

I have been using progressives for more than ten years now. Yes, they take some getting used to. I really kind of hated the first pair that I had. But with my eyesight a set of single-focus lenses just didn't work. So I kept using them, got used to them, and now I don't even notice the changing focus.

I work in front of a computer all day long, though, and for that I do have a set of single-focus lenses that I'm wearing right now. These lenses allow me to focus from about a foot and a half out to about 4-5 feet. This way I don't have to keep my head tilted at just the right angle all day long.

For everything else, though, I would not go without my progressive lenses.

Good luck, whatever you do.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 06:36   #8

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
I am also with progressive lenses for over 30 years. Your lost balance was probably due to changes between your reading glasses and sun glasses as the "transition" in the lenses may be slightly different - hard to get used when changing often. To avoid this, I got prescription sunglass for distant only. I rarely read small print with sun glasses so this has worked for me everywhere.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 06:55   #9

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

I've been using progressives for nearly 15 years. The doctor told me to put them on and leave them on for two days straight (except when sleeping). A patient shopping nearby echoed the same thing and said "You'll hate them for two days and then love them." They were right. Since then, I use them as both regular lenses and sunglasses when aboard and have no problems. Seems like it's a matter of letting your brain get accustomed to the visual inputs.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 07:17   #10

I get the distorted curved view with just my readers (my distance vision is still OK).

It also matters how severe your script is, and the difference between the two scripts in progressives.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 07:37   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

I have a pretty strong prescription for nearsightedness, and bad astigmatism, plus I am 69. That said, I have been using progressive lenses for about fifteen years, and love them. At first, they were a bit of a bother, and yes, there were some curves. But, I got used to them pretty quickly and wouldn't consider anything else, no matter whether it's sunglasses or not, sailing or not. Like many things optical, I think the brain learns to interpret, give a bit of time. In my case, it wasn't long, so perhaps I was lucky.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 07:49   #12

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I had the same issue several years ago . I just ajusted to them although peripheral still not super
Old 23-10-2018, 08:40   #13

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Progressive corrections aren't worth the risk if there is a tripping or falling hazard.
A sharp delineation - as in a reading bifocal with a crisp 'break' or line - is manageable, but even then you find yourself looking down all the time to peer over the cheater.
I've got a couple of pair of sunglasses with 'safety' glass lenses rather than plastic; I can clean them many times a day while at sea and not worry (so much) about scratching. One pair has a SMALL cheater for close-up work, as in fighting with the furler on the bowsprit. I keep straps on them when they're on my head.
My 'fancy' glasses with a 2.50 cheater and a prescription lens for distance (astigmatism) I rarely bring on deck, except to look at the stars on a quiet night. They are a 'lined' bifocal. Not sure what I'm saving them for, but hey.
I was a welder/rigger in construction, and knew a guy who had his reading bifocal lens put on top, for welding, so he wasn't always looking down his nose under the hood. If you've got the money and know a clever eyeglass store you can get 'em anyway you want, I reckon.
Back to the point. None of us that worked on the iron would wear glasses with 'progressive' lenses. Good way to get killed. Usually carried a cheap pair of dime-store cheaters in a pocket for reading prints in the air.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 08:41   #14

Boat: Island Packet 40 cutter

My wife had progressives and hated them . She went to lined tri focal and is happy with no issues now.
Capt. Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 08:42   #15

Boat: Pearson 30

I use progressive contact lenses. I have needed distance lenses since 10 yrs old and have been wearing contacts since 16 ( 40 years).
As you mentioned, the day I turned 40 while wearing contacts for distance I needed help reading up close.
A few years ago progressive contacts came about and now I only need reading glasses while looking at my phone. For pc work - 18" or so to infinity my vision is great
Gravy26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck