Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2016, 04:55   #1

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32
Project Boat Builders Worldwide

Lately, there has been a lot of references to a venerable old name in boat building. Being on the market for a small to mid-sized sailing yacht (30’ to 40’), I was wondering what you could tell me about Project Boat Builders.

They seem to be common knowledge to the old salts, but there is precious little solid information about these storied boat builders. Despite repeated references in articles, forums, blogs and ads, there is very little actual data on their existence. Here is what I know:

Evidently, almost every major designer and builder has at some point have had Project Boats participate in some of their production runs. They also participate in a large percentage of kit assembly, one-offs and custom configurations and designs of every ilk. To hear some people tell it, they build the most valuable boats in the market. There is no way you or I could build a boat like this for thrice the price!

It is with a great deal of certainty that some believe in the supernatural powers at work in the Project Boats worldwide facilities. I personally have read accounts of ancient electronics, old on-board systems, rigging, sails and hulls resurrected with more value, capability or power than their most modern and cutting-edge equivalent. In several cases, not only have the accoutrements of a genuine Project Boat exceeded today's technology but the dimensions of the nearly finished yacht surpass all understanding and the natural limits of the physical universe. Just today I found a legendary Project Boat of a diminutive 25’ LOA with an interior as spacious as any 40-footer! How do they do it?

Usually I'm not one to follow the crowd. However, after so much publicly unrefuted information, testimonials and amazing descriptions, I succumbed to the pressure.

Yes fellow Mariners, I am the proud, if somewhat befuddled owner of a much storied Project Boat; one that was evidently built under contract through Endeavour Yachts. But let me add this word of warning. When you sign the contract, when you place your bloodied thumbprint upon the page, when you exchange remuneration, be it gold, fair barter or your first born child - the magic imbued these mythical vessels wrap tentacles around your heart and you feel suddenly enraptured and enthralled. And like all emotion, that hot rush of pride is a wave ridden to the breakers and with it the magic of the Project Boat is dashed upon the rocks of reality. It will fade like the morning mist staked out in the sun.

The good news is that the love that inspired your interest lives on. Your life is changed. The yacht becomes your high maintenance mistress. Your wife becomes your Admiral. Your status is equally split between that of the all-powerful captain and the lowly deckhand. It's not a bad life.

Fair Winds to all ye that have heard the songs of sirens and abide by the ways of the waters. And good on ya.
Old 18-12-2016, 06:15   #2

Re: Project Boat Builders Worldwide

Funny, our boat is also a Project Boat Builders boat.

I knew that the design was originally built in Europe by Jeannneau and then licensed to a builder here in the States but only found out after we had it for a year or so that it is in fact a Project Boat Builders boat and wasn't actually built by the company that branded it.

I wonder if the Jeanneau versions were actually built by Jeannneau or if they were also Project Boats?

All in all, I can't say the quality of construction is terrible. I might have done a few things differently. Mainly the problem is simply that it is a thirty year old boat. Systems need to be updated. It's just a fact.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 17:15   #3

There is no rule that says you have to confuse the issue with facts.
Old 19-12-2016, 17:53   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

My boat from the venerable Ta-Yang Shipyard is 27 years old so she is projecting herself into the prospective ranks of Project Boat.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 17:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
My boat from the venerable Ta-Yang Shipyard is 27 years old so she is projecting herself into the prospective ranks of Project Boat.
Oh yeah, I'm sure she qualifies!

Tags
builder, project