Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2020, 19:49   #76

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Propane use - How much do you need/use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Slight quibble, I would have stated usage in tenths or hundreds of a pound or tenths of a kg, more resolution.

::shrug:: I didn't see that level of precision in the incoming reports.

Quote:

Also, my experience is that tanks tend to be filled by weight not volume.
In practice the small ones used on boats are most often, these days, filled until the OPD trips, which is sloppy. They're supposed to fill them by weight.

Bulk propane is sold by the gallon and metered using a temperature-compensated meter on the truck. I've bought many thousands of gallons of the stuff that way. In the late 1990s and early 2000s it was around $0.70 a gallon. I'm still in the habit of thinking like that, I guess.
Old 23-12-2020, 20:40   #77

A 10 lb tank lasts us two months cooking at least two meals a day, every day, 365 days a year. No other use.

We have three tanks, we have NEVER struggled to fill them because we plan ahead, and have 4 to 6 MONTHS to get find a filling location. Really not a great deal of planning needed, all you have to do is take advantage of the easy opportunities.

People who carry one tank, or postpone getting a fill of multiple tanks until they are eating cold beans from a can deserve what hassles they get.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 20:46   #78

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
::shrug:: I didn't see that level of precision in the incoming reports.

In practice the small ones used on boats are most often, these days, filled until the OPD trips, which is sloppy. They're supposed to fill them by weight.

Bulk propane is sold by the gallon and metered using a temperature-compensated meter on the truck. I've bought many thousands of gallons of the stuff that way. In the late 1990s and early 2000s it was around $0.70 a gallon. I'm still in the habit of thinking like that, I guess.
Yeah, you're right I'm wrong, false precision on my part.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 20:51   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I have no idea what they are "supposed to do", but I do know I have NEVER seen a scale at a propane filling station--anywhere. Maybe they hide them in the back. Or I just go to the low budget operations.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 00:58   #80

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
How big's the tank? Lb or kg, I'm ambi-measurement.
How often do you eat off the boat per week?
The tanks are 9 kilos, or 20 lbs. Eat off the boat? you mean growth buouillabaisse? Never! ..... Rarely. Maybe 4 times a month, but that's a pizza night at the club, and the pizza has given us re-flux, so we take boat cooked food to heat in the microwave at the club, and visit with our friends.
Old 24-12-2020, 03:37   #81

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thanks Jammer, I haven't checked the math, but it looks good (and thanks for checking Adelie).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
I have no idea what they are "supposed to do", but I do know I have NEVER seen a scale at a propane filling station--anywhere. Maybe they hide them in the back. Or I just go to the low budget operations.
Every fill station I've seen here in Canada have scales. Tanks are filled by weight, although I also had mine filled using the OPD tripping technique as well.
Old 24-12-2020, 04:36   #82

We have used propane on our power boat for years , to feed a large RV propane reefer , with both fridge and freezer sections.

Uses one 20 lb bottle per month. With the new idiot fill valve the bottle is only 15 lbs.

No dead batts , no noise and solid ice cream.

Our unit was from the 1960's so had a pilot light. New units require a bit of electric to light , instead of a pilot light.

The aft cockpit was self draining so no fears of the gas.
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 05:07   #83
CLOD

Boat: none

Wonder why some use so much more.

I reported one of the smaller rates. I also said my use went down after replacing a hose and regulator that had a leak. Does that suggest a lot of people have leaky systems?
Old 24-12-2020, 05:14   #84

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks Jammer, I haven't checked the math, but it looks good (and thanks for checking Adelie).

Every fill station I've seen here in Canada have scales. Tanks are filled by weight, although I also had mine filled using the OPD tripping technique as well.
Interesting. I have never seen anyone use a scale, although I know they should, and there is a sticker to that effect right on the tank. I typically go to larger suppliers, but sometimes just a regular filling station.

In every case, they use the vent. They open the vent, and when liquid comes out, it's full. This way they stop before the OPD kicks in.
Old 24-12-2020, 05:22   #85

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

I reported one of the smaller rates. I also said my use went down after replacing a hose and regulator that had a leak. Does that suggest a lot of people have leaky systems?
I use 10lb tanks. When I had crew that made coffee twice a day, one tank lasted one month. By myself, with no coffee and one hot meal per day, I get 3 months. When I am in port and occasionally eat out, I get 6 months from one tank.

So, there can be a huge variance just from peoples habits. But given that boiling a pot of water takes as much fuel as a whole meal, I'd guess that coffee would be a large dividing factor, especially if someone is making multiple pots.
Old 24-12-2020, 05:50   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I use 10lb tanks. When I had crew that made coffee twice a day, one tank lasted one month. By myself, with no coffee and one hot meal per day, I get 3 months. When I am in port and occasionally eat out, I get 6 months from one tank.

So, there can be a huge variance just from peoples habits. But given that boiling a pot of water takes as much fuel as a whole meal, I'd guess that coffee would be a large dividing factor, especially if someone is making multiple pots.
We are using kerosene not propane but your comments about variability is spot on. Living in the tropics our use is very low, mid Atlantic states in winter consumption goes way up. And yes, coffee or tea, are a big part of that.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 06:03   #87

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
.... growth buouillabaisse? Never! ..... ......
Took me about 3 reads to realize what you'd meant and realize I'd been roasted. Very good.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 06:22   #88

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

As one of the higher consumers I can report that on our boat we enjoy cooking and often use three burners and the oven in meal prep. Yes there are multiple uses for the kettle in a typical day. The oven is by far the largest consumer of propane cranking out bread, pizza, and many roasted or baked dishes. Mid afternoon cookies are a prized ritual on passage.

We consciously prioritize deliciousness over propane minimization.

...Checking propane system integrity is a regular task on our boat. But your point is a good one, a dodgy regulator or wisp of a leak at a fitting would make a big difference.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 06:58   #89

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'm impressed how close most of the usage numbers are. There's a few outliers on the upper and lower end, but most cluster around the average (average=1.99, median=1.90), assuming the math is correct .

There surely must be a fair bit of variability in appliance efficiency, let alone usage patterns. But even with this, most are clustered in the 2ish range.
Old 24-12-2020, 07:13   #90

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

The fill to OPD cutoff is a dangerous way to do it if you have to transport the tank. I had a place do that to a grill tank once in cold weather. Finished the last bit of the drive home nervously with the windows wide open and the heat off in 25 degree weather, as the tank had warmed up slightly in the car and started to vent off propane because it was over-filled.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane