Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2020, 07:24   #91

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Propane use - How much do you need/use

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Interesting. I have never seen anyone use a scale, although I know they should, and there is a sticker to that effect right on the tank. I typically go to larger suppliers, but sometimes just a regular filling station.

In every case, they use the vent. They open the vent, and when liquid comes out, it's full. This way they stop before the OPD kicks in.

Must be a law/regulatory thing? I'm in Canada.
Old 24-12-2020, 08:30   #92

Boat: Gemini 3200

On my boat, which is used only once in a while for coastal cruising, a 20-lb propane tanks lasts about two weeks. I use propane to power my refrigerator, cook stove, and water heater. When I'm not cruising, of course, the propane lasts indefinitely because the gas is turned off.

I carry two 20-lb tanks. When the first one is empty I swap the second into the system and start looking for a place to refill the empty one. But it is getting hard to find marinas that sell propane. When the boat is home I just refill or exchange empty propane tanks with the car. These days it is easier to find a place to exchange tanks than to have them filled. The cost is about the same and you don't have to worry about your tanks getting too old to refill.
fgd3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 11:37   #93

Boat: Tartan 3800

A propane water heater will use more gas than cooking will. I had them on RVs in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
These days it is easier to find a place to exchange tanks than to have them filled. The cost is about the same and you don't have to worry about your tanks getting too old to refill.

Most tank-exchange places only offer steel 20 pound tanks. A few have 30 pound tanks also. These won't fit most sailboat propane lockers, which are nearly always designed around one or two 10 pound tanks. Usually aluminum tanks are preferred both for corrosion resistance and light weight.

Another problem with tank exchange is that many tank exchange companies short fill the tanks so you only get 15 or 16 pounds of propane in a 20 pound tank.
Old 24-12-2020, 12:39   #94

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
A propane water heater will use more gas than cooking will. I had them on RVs in the past.

Most tank-exchange places only offer steel 20 pound tanks. A few have 30 pound tanks also. These won't fit most sailboat propane lockers, which are nearly always designed around one or two 10 pound tanks. Usually aluminum tanks are preferred both for corrosion resistance and light weight.

Another problem with tank exchange is that many tank exchange companies short fill the tanks so you only get 15 or 16 pounds of propane in a 20 pound tank.
No way do I want to do tank exchange. My two tanks were expensive and I paid to have them powder coated and out boat logo is on them. They are my tanks.

And anyhow I doubt that exchange tanks will fit in my lockers. I guess I could hang them on the aft railing like the Beverly Hillbilly crowd, but I don't like the look.

But in 24 years of cruising (and before that 10 years living aboard in Seattle) I've never had, in 35 countries, much problem getting my tanks refilled.

Filling is done in various ways. Several counties (New Zealand for example) insist on weighing. They see that my tank is supposed to weigh 26kg, or whatever, when filled and they fill it until it weighs that much., If your tank does not have the full weight stamped on it they won't fill it. (metro Auckland, anyhow).

Other places open the valve and fill until it comes out the valve. I prefer that.

Some places fill until the float valve inside closes and filling stops.

I have decanted from a bigger bottle a few times and I keep filling until the liquid no longer flows or it overflows.
Old 24-12-2020, 13:09   #95

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubifig View Post
This questions is directed to full time liveaboards with 2 to 3 people living aboard. I am curious of how much natural gas do you carry, what size tanks, how long does it typically last, how readily available globally is it to purchase/re-fill? Do you recommend electric stove or grill over propane?
We had two expensive Aluminum tanks on board, not sure of the size but it is a standard size for boats, about 24" high. With two full time liveaboards that lasted us around 2-3 months and we do quite a bit of cooking - although we used the grill with a different propane source for some of that cooking.

The US and Caribbean use propane and US style fittings. Most places will refill your own tanks, although some places require that you drop off your tanks and pick them up later. When we returned to pick up our nice new tanks had been taken and we had to accept ropey old tanks.

The Mediterranean countries use butane which has different thermal properties and different fittings. They do not offer refill facilities, you turn in your old tank and pick up one that is pre-filled. These tanks are quite small made of steel and rust easily. I would say that they are about 12" high and 12" diameter. Obviously they don't last as long. I had room for 4 of these in my propane locker which only held two US propane tanks.

I can't speak to other countries worldwide.

I covered the issues of changing over from US to European tanks and fittings in my website here:

Moonstruck Hylas Yacht European Modifications

I was told that we would need to change out the burners in our propane stove but that proved not to be the case.

We much prefer propane over electric, although my last two (motor) boats have electric. It's nice to be able to cook without having to run the genny.

~Alan
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane