Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2023, 18:32   #1

Boat: Catalina 36 MarkII
propane vs gas 5-6HP outboards?

for a harbor dinghy.
Nothing crazy. Just a family inflatable.
pluses and minuses for both options are welcome.
LibertyAtNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 18:53   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: propane vs gas 5-6HP outboards?

Propane does have carb problems. But is more hard to get than gas.

Gas has carb problems, but few if you don't use etholcol. Get it any where.
Old 04-08-2023, 18:55   #3

Am I wrong to believe that it's like exchanging a propane tank for your grill?
Old 04-08-2023, 19:35   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyAtNight View Post
Am I wrong to believe that it's like exchanging a propane tank for your grill?
If you are ok carrying an awkward steel tank, then yes, it's like exchanging a tank. But they also sell nice lightweight composite tanks that won't rust and would need to be filled at a filling station.

Even so, gas is everywhere. You can usually find a fuel dock and refill your gas jerry cans at the same time you fill your boat.

If you are never moving and know that you have a place nearby for an exchange, that's great. If you travel, you might find it extremely inconvenient. You won't be able to take a propane tank on a bus, and some taxis might balk at it as well. And in some areas, anywhere outside of the US, you are SOL. You simply might not be able to do an exchange no matter how badly you need it.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:27   #5

Boat: Catalac 12 M

Have you thought about an electric motor. For use in the harbor.
DrDelmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:50   #6

Boat: Columbia 36

If the big boat was diesel and you had propane for cooking, I'd go with the propane OB. If there was such a thing as a diesel OB that size I'd do that. You're already carrying two different fuels, why make it three? Likewise gas in the big boat and no propane stove, stay with a gas OB. Keep it simple, minimize the number of fuels you need. Or electric, the only downside I know of is battery range. You can get an extra battery but even that will only go so far.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 14:20   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Had a OB Liehr 5hp propane thinking it was the Cats Meow by just carrying propane for the oven-stove, grill and OB..but with difficulties in parts replacement and starting issues…got rid of the Liehr. Now a gas OB Tahatsu and Honda generator
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 15:23   #8

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

If you live in a place (looks like you do) where you put the engine away for the winter, propane has the huge advantage of not caring about storage.

Gas is better in most other ways.

I got propane. Only been 2 seasons. It’s been nice to just plop it in the basement for the winter, no carb draining, no stabilizer, it’s just ready to go whenever I pull it out again.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 16:29   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I sold Lehr propane outboards. I got tired of rebuilding the carb of my gasoline 2 hp outboard every time I wanted to use it. The propane outboard started easily every time, once you learned the trick. The Lehr 2.5 would run for an hour at full throttle on a pound of propane. The 5 hp would run for half an hour on a pound of propane.

I think propane is an excellent fuel for small outboards. Unfortunately Bernardo, the owner of Lehr, envisioned making very large propane outboards. He should have concentrated on improving the quality of the small ones.
Old 06-08-2023, 18:08   #10

Get a gas 4 cycle and buy “small engine fuel” . No carb problems. No end of season draining. Gas stays fresh for years. Engine always starts.

It’s expensive but I use less than $100/year in my harbor dinghy.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-Cycle-...0202/318306341
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 21:26   #11

I’ve had a propane OB for the past 4/5 seasons. The only other propane used on the boat is for a outside grill. I will only buy propane dighny OBs from now on. Not having a flammable liquid container on board and stored is the biggest reason. If you are using it for just putzing around I’d look at the 3.5 hp. They are manageable. Without a OB lift.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 15:13   #12

I really appreciate all the different viewpoints and they all make a ton of sense. I really am looking to putz around. Feels like the reduction in maintenance on the motor goes in the propane favor if I'm staying local which will be the case for the next few years at least.
Old 21-08-2023, 07:03   #13

I never new what the hype was over propane outboards. Propane does burn cleaner is about the only reason that I can think of to buy one.

If you want it to just putt around the bay use oars. Not that much slower than electric motor.
That is what I do all the time to get some much needed exercise which I find lacking when cruising.
I see folks starting there outboards to putt over to the dock, 200 yards, alll the time.

Dave
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 07:14   #14

Boat: '86 Catalina 25, swing keel

I have a Tohatsu Sailpro 5hp on my Catalina 25. I’ve had no concerns whatsoever with her. I did pick up an 11lb composite tank. I’ve never used it all in a season but then mostly out and in from the marina and some on the water. I have the small camp size bottles on Haven for the gas grill and they serve as a backup. Just pick up an adaptor. I hated my old motor. Heavy, Gas stinks and fouls the water no matter how you try not to. Fuel had to be toted on and off or take time to go over to the other marina to the gas dock. Seemed like there was a new issue all the time and then finally the fuel pump was starting to go and could not replace it. I do have to take the tank to a propane fill, but that’s cheaper than tank exchange. There is a way to fill the composite tank from a steel tank if need be. Google it. I use a fish scale to weight the tank to see how much fuel I’m using. I stopped though when I had only used about 8lbs for the season. I guess if you use it more often there would be a need. Happy sailing and harbor putzing.
Captain Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 07:33   #15

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodxcharly View Post
I never new what the hype was over propane outboards. Propane does burn cleaner is about the only reason that I can think of to buy one.

If you want it to just putt around the bay use oars. Not that much slower than electric motor.
That is what I do all the time to get some much needed exercise which I find lacking when cruising.
I see folks starting there outboards to putt over to the dock, 200 yards, alll the time.

Dave
So I am not the only one who prefers to row. If I take the maintenance and the lifting into the travel time - rowing is faster for the first few hundred meters / yards.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard, propane