Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2016, 11:58   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Question: leading the mainsheet aft

I really think you should mock up your proposed arrangement with some hardware store blocks and a 2x4. The difference in swing from mid boom to end boom makes me think you won't like the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 12:38   #17

Re: Question: leading the mainsheet aft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I really think you should mock up your proposed arrangement with some hardware store blocks and a 2x4. The difference in swing from mid boom to end boom makes me think you won't like the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thank you for your response.

I have done the mock-up in my head. If I simplify the 'traveler' to an attachment point on the cabin top and one block on the boom, directly above, led forward, down and back, I have a 2:1 purchase. If I add the second block at the end of the boom and the sheet is led up, aft and down, I have a 2:1 purchase. In both cases, if I pull in one foot of sheet, the boom moves about 6".

The only difference I am seeing with these two scenarios is that the two block version distributes the load to two points on the boom, mid and aft, as opposed to one point, with a standard traveler system. I am viewing this as a positive feature.

I am also seeing that the 'pull' on the boom might be coming from two slightly different angles in my proposed system. If the mid boom load is at more of a horizontal angle and the aft lee sheeting lead is more vertical, then this would contribute to holding the boom down. As the boom swings out this effect will be reduced.

But, if I use the double sheet system, it is typical to sheet the main with the weather sheet and this will be more in line with the angle of the sheet at mid boom on all points of sail.

Maybe in my mental mock-up I am missing something that would emerge from your 2x4 idea? What do you expect I will find with a physical mock-up?

Thanks
Ecohawk is offline   Reply With Quote