Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2022, 07:44   #16
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
rbk, that’s getting uncomfortably close to a flooded exhaust, never trust an engine to be able to blow out all the water that goes in while dead cranking.
Nothings idiot proof unfortunately. The same person that would flood their engine winterizing this way would flood it starting normally any other time as well.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:31   #17

Talking of idiots , have you any clue on how to find posts and answers on this site .
frank7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:43   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank7 View Post
PS When you say upstream of water pump ( 2nd method) l assume you mean between the belt driven water pump and the cat off valve.
I like that method , as belts and pulleys running very close to your face if pouring into strainer .

Yes, my technique is to detach a hose between the pump and the raw water strainer. Then I make a quick join with an short dedicated hose (insert it into the detached hose, and clamp tight), then take that to my bucket of antifreeze.

I do this, instead of pouring into the strainer because it’s simpler for me. The angles and spaces are awkward to get to the strainer. Do whatever is easier.

The only challenge with this is removing the engine hose. If they haven’t moved in a long time they can be very stiff.
Old 11-12-2022, 12:02   #19

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

As a final check, I usually catch the outflow and measure it with a hydrometer to make sure it is of sufficient concentration.
This^^^

Exactly the way I do. After shutting off, I drain the water lift and use a refractometer to check the mix. If there is any water present, the antifreeze efficiency declines immensily.

BTW, there is mention of "pink" (propylene glycol) in one of the posts. To make sure I don't incurr very expensive repairs, I spend more $$ for the "green" one (ethylene gycol) here in the great white north.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
This^^^

Exactly the way I do. After shutting off, I drain the water lift and use a refractometer to check the mix. If there is any water present, the antifreeze efficiency declines immensily.

BTW, there is mention of "pink" (propylene glycol) in one of the posts. To make sure I don't incurr very expensive repairs, I spend more $$ for the "green" one (ethylene gycol) here in the great white north.

I too have always used the “green” stuff. I buy in concentrated and then mix it to our desired temperature. When we were in northern Ontario I aimed for ~70:30 concentration, so around -60C. Now that we’re in a more temperate climate (Newfoundland), I’m more like 50:50.

I know many who use the standard pink stuff on the engine. I learned using the standard engine antifreeze, so have just kept on doing so, although I know it is less environmentally friendly.
Old 11-12-2022, 13:08   #21

Thanks for info l will take a look at that method.
If that worked out , would the pump suck even if bucket of anti freeze was above engine level on floor .
Like you it’s super awkward to get at , combined with pulleys and belt running during operation.
Old 11-12-2022, 13:21   #22

Thanks for feedback on anti freeze .
As a matter of interest what is the other pipe 2 inch that runs from bottom of boat ( raw water with cut off valve) directly into side of engine , or whatever it is ??
Seems to be part of the cooling circuit !!
Old 11-12-2022, 13:32   #23
rbk

Quote:
Talking of idiots , have you any clue on how to find posts and answers on this site .
Totally legitimate question. Search button top right. The more specific thr search the fewer results.
Old 11-12-2022, 13:36   #24
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
This^^^

If you’re using ethylene glycol on the raw water side to winterize your engine be very sure you capture all that comes out the exhaust. While debatable on how harmful it is to marine life it is toxic to many animals and is an offence to discharge it into the water. By no means should you use pink propylene glycol on the fresh water side of your engine.
Old 11-12-2022, 14:43   #25

Thanks
Old 11-12-2022, 15:00   #26

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Since this thread and your comments don’t specify are we talking about an inboard or outboard engine
You mention 120 Yamaha is this an outboard??

Note your profile doesn’t provide any details as to what kind of boat you have and a Yamaha engine could be an outboard in which case the instructions change
Old 11-12-2022, 16:35   #27

Quote:
Thanks for info l will take a look at that method.
If that worked out , would the pump suck even if bucket of anti freeze was above engine level on floor .
Like you it’s super awkward to get at , combined with pulleys and belt running during operation.

My setup is as you describe; my bucket of antifreeze is above the engine. I’ve never had any problem. The raw water pump sucks it up quite easily.

As noted, the hardest part about this method (as opposed to pouring into the sea strainer) is detachment of a hose. They can be quite stiff if they haven’t moved in a long time.
Old 11-12-2022, 17:23   #28

Quote:
Does anyone know how to anti freeze engine raw water cooling system on engine for the winter .
I seem to have , valve cut off, water filter , water pump driven by belt , pipe to large Y pipe which attaches to section of engine and from Y pipe a large pipe to kick water out the stern.

I also have a pipe running from hull to centre of engine section
Could attach drawing

Are you wanting to antifreeze the raw water circuit to prevent the heat exchanger and raw water pump from freezing up and cracking or are you doing it to protect the engine by trying to lessen the corrosive effects of the humidity in the aqualock on the cylinders, valves and turbo?
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 18:29   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
If you’re using ethylene glycol on the raw water side to winterize your engine be very sure you capture all that comes out the exhaust. While debatable on how harmful it is to marine life it is toxic to many animals and is an offence to discharge it into the water. By no means should you use pink propylene glycol on the fresh water side of your engine.
Agree 100% and thanks for posting.
Although the (Starbrite) label states clearly that it is "non toxic", I do turn the engine on and try to capture what I can, with a water hose in the bucket which is a complete reversal of the winterising procedure BEFORE the boat is launched[emoji106]
Old 11-12-2022, 18:31   #30

Quote:
Thanks
Frank7, where are you located? Depending on the answer you need to expedite this as it is getting pretty cool out there.