Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 06:49   #1

Questions about moving to Victoria BC

Hi all,

My partner and I are considering a move from to Vancouver Island. Our job offers are in the Victoria area. Since sailing is a big part of our life here in Ontario on the Great Lakes, we really want to ensure this move will work for us. We would really like any advice or recommendations where we could keep a 30 ft boat within an hour of Victoria. We would welcome any other advice.

Thank you,
Chris and Sarah
Ontario, Canada
madman280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:19   #2

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Re: Questions about moving to Victoria BC

There are marinas in Victoria and Oak Bay, but personally I think you would get more variety in cruising/sailing based out of Sidney. Things get a bit cheaper if you go over the Malahat to the Duncan area, but that can be a horrid commute if weather/traffic are bad. You may have to shop around a bit, but slips for 30ft boats seem to be reasonably available.

The winds can be fickle and the tides can be fierce, so you may have to change your game a bit ... but you get to use all 12 months (except this year, when I seem to be quarantined in Alberta, while my boat sits neglected).

good luck, and hopefully I'll see you out there somewhere.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:45   #3

Boat: Passport 40
Re: Questions about moving to Victoria BC

I'll leave the thoughts on individual marinas to the folks on the island who know them best, but Sydney is a huge center of pleasure boating for the greater Victoria area, and you're much closer vs downtown to the Gulf Islands and to the San Juan Islands here in Washington state should you care to come see us. (Once these virus bans are lifted, of course.)

And Kelkara is correct, our sailing here on the West Coast is a bit different than Ontario....it's way better! But we're all biased. You two come try it, and tell us all what you think.

Fair winds.