Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 04:18   #46

Boat: Jupiter 40 built by Klaus Baess 1968
Re: Repainting my steel boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Zinc phosphate used to be widely used, it was usually a greenish color.
Do people ever use it as a primer for antifoul? It’s what the previous owner recommended but seems strange or maybe I didn’t understand him correct.

Thanks
JimMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 13:10   #47

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMann View Post
I’m looking at Hempel 2 packs but there’s a couple to choose from, can you point me in the right direction please. It’s all so confusing

Thank you
Erm.. good question! I don’t know much about Hempel paints but you’re just looking for a two part epoxy primer. Do Hempel make one of them? If so, do your grinding and get two coats of the primer on - that’ll lock it down nicely.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 14:06   #48

[QUOTE=ausnp84;2883981]Erm.. good question! I don’t know much about Hempel paints but you’re just looking for a two part epoxy primer. Do Hempel make one of them? If so, do your grinding and get two coats of the primer on - that’ll lock it down nicely.

N[/QUOTE

https://amzn.to/2VkoGJc This is the stuff I found, could be the one
Old 06-05-2019, 20:11   #49

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Do people ever use it as a primer for antifoul? It’s what the previous owner recommended but seems strange or maybe I didn’t understand him correct.

Thanks
I don't know much about it but phosphating, which I think was boiling steel components in a phosphate liquid, is a very old method and phosphate paints were used as shop primers before the synthetic resin paints took over from the drying oil based paints.

I am of the school which proffers that if you sand blast properly the epoxy based coatings are very hard to beat from a coating adherence and longevity viewpoint but if you cannot blast clean the metal some of the older coating methods, such as red lead, give better results.

When I painted my newly built steel boat in 1987 their recommendation was a vinyl tar paint inside and below the water line outside and an epoxy primer first coat followed by a high build undercoat with a chlorinated rubber hull above the water line and an enamel on deck. It seemed to work OK and I used to roll a coat onto the hull and deck about every two years.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 21:37   #50

[QUOTE=JimMann;2884032]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Erm.. good question! I don’t know much about Hempel paints but you’re just looking for a two part epoxy primer. Do Hempel make one of them? If so, do your grinding and get two coats of the primer on - that’ll lock it down nicely.

N[/QUOTE

Nah, that looks like GRP stuff. What country are you located in?

N
Old 07-05-2019, 01:05   #51

Boat: Island Packet 40

[QUOTE=JimMann;2884032]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post

N[/QUOTE

Light primer is just an epoxy primer without much filler. It will be low viscosity and consequently wick into any rough or porous surface and establish a good bond. A good first coat under a high build primer which will then establish a good coating thickness.

Functionally: The light primer establishes good adhesion. The high build establishes a good coating thickness for durability purposes. The final coat establishes a good finish of the wanted color.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:27   #52

Ah ok.. I thought it didn’t seem right. I’m in the UK

Thanks
Old 07-05-2019, 01:32   #53

Quote:
Ah ok.. I thought it didn’t seem right. I’m in the UK

Thanks
Ok cool! Give SML paints out in Cirencester a call. They supplied all the Jotun paint for my steel project and do next day delivery for not a lot. If memory serves me correct, the Jotamastic 80 epoxy primer is a about £50-£60 for 5L, and that covers about 10sqm a litre. The Hardtop AX topcoat is nice stuff as well... flows well and gives a good gloss finish.

Malcolm, the owner, also knows a thing or two about steel boat projects...

Nathan
Old 12-05-2019, 07:43   #54

Jim,

Jotun or Hempels 2 pack paints are overall very good products.
You should get the correct advice in their use from the suppliers.
The small job you want to do ~

• prepare the surface well.
  • flair off the other paintwork surrounding paintwork
  • check the ambient temperature
  • ensure proper ratio mixing
  • apply 2 x base + 1x intermediate and 1x or 3 x top coats.
Psy at SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 03:57   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
If you can find amerlok sealer in Europe I'd love to get some

Spoke with PPG, all went quiet when it transpired I was a yachtie and not 100M long
Not even sure it's made anymore, pity - it was great for steel when sand blasting wasn't an option. Like the inside of a boat Took days to go off and seeped into every little pore.
The UK has quite a big marine sector so there is a lot of protective coatings out there - think postage may be the only barrier to cross? but try Jotun (do you get Jotun in the US?) via a distributor https://www.ultrimaxstore.com/marine-paints-c-66 or somebody like this. Most will post/courier to you especially in quantity.
andyp1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 04:30   #56

Hi
Ive had very good advise from our hemple rep here in Cape Town, he has been in the buisness for 40 years with various manufactures and knows his stuff.
I am rebuilding a 45ft steel boat and Hemple quattro is cost effective and stick like sh1t to a blanket. (Was advised not to spray in the baotyard as you can not get overspray off except for sanding) Used topsides and as a tie coat below before antifoul.
Hemple poly as top coat
CharlesKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 05:16   #57

guess that will depend on your hull ?

wooden hulls def overspray - but if you have an all metal or part metal hull as long as not ali then you could go electro-static ? less waste and no real overspray . Earth yourself obviously if you don't want to look like a fishing trawler!
andyp1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, paint, steel