Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2019, 05:10   #1

Boat: Jupiter 40 built by Klaus Baess 1968
Reregistering a boat and finding info on it

Hi,
I bought a project boat and I’m nearing completion but I have noticed a few inconsistencies with my info on the boat I.e it’s size, I was sold her as a Bruce Roberts 36 but bow to stern is roughly 37.5 (not including the bowsprit). I have an SSR number but I can’t seem to find anything from it and the boat builder is long since passed away which is a pain as I really could do with the original boat plans as I would like to make a v berth but there seems to be structural angled steel in my way. I would like to know the process of taking official ownership of it as I have only paid cash on it from the guy who bought it from the original owner.

Thanks
JimMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 05:56   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Reregistering a boat and finding info on it

Jim, the SSR is a cheap registration scheme for UK residents that lasts 5 years.

Details of the scheme are here and costs £35 for 5 years. You are expected to have a UK address, or at least live in the UK for some of the year.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-boat/the-uk-ship-register

The BR yachts were mainly home built, though some professionally built from the plans. It is not inconceivable that the original owner or builder decided to extend it a bit. There was an excellent article in the UK PBO magazine 2 decades ago were an BR36 sloop owner cut out the stern and added a sugar scoop extending the length by about 2 feet. This helped break the stern wave clear of the hull and transom but also made a useful transom for entering the dinghy.

BR is still in existence, you should contact them for advice, though you may have to pay for it.

https://www.bruceroberts.com/

Do you have a official looking receipt for this boat?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat