Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2023, 08:20   #136
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Rocna 10 vs CQR 45

Quote:
Yeah, with a 35# CQR on a 20,000 lb. boat I'm sure you did drag.

I almost bought a 35# CQR to replace my old 20 lb. CQR for my 6600 lb. 27' sailboat but happened to find a new 25 lb Mantus M1 for about the same price

You probably needed a 50 lb CQR for that 20,000 lb. CSY
thomm225 is online now Report Post
The 35# CQR came with the boat, previous owner said it worked ok, which it did 90% of the
time. The other 10% was scary however.
I slept really good with the 55# Delta, and even better with the Rocna.
Old 30-04-2023, 12:35   #137

What is the point of having a lunch hook. Do people actually stop sailing to have lunch..we had a 10 ton boat that we used a 35 pound anchor on. What size would a luch hook be?

Sailing for almost 40 years not once did I say this would be a great place to stop and have lunch
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2023, 13:07   #138
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yeah, with a 35# CQR on a 20,000 lb. boat I'm sure you did drag.

I almost bought a 35# CQR to replace my old 20 lb. CQR for my 6600 lb. 27' sailboat but happened to find a new 25 lb Mantus M1 for about the same price

You probably needed a 50 lb CQR for that 20,000 lb. CSY
Curiously a 33lb. Rocna is the recommended size for his boat. I guess CQR's just have to be that much bigger to work as well as the Rocna
Old 30-04-2023, 13:52   #139

Boat: Rafiki 37

I used a 35# CQR for years with my 12,000# boat. Worked OK, although dragged occasionally. I used a 45# CQR on my current boat (~30,000#). Again, worked OK, but it was happy days when I got the 55# Rocna.
Old 30-04-2023, 13:53   #140

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Curiously a 33lb. Rocna is the recommended size for his boat. I guess CQR's just have to be that much bigger to work as well as the Rocna
Maybe but I had to get a 25 lb Mantus M1 new gen anchor to do the same job as my 20 lb. CQR which also came with my boat.

I used it for 10 years though and it worked fine, but this being my 7th or 8th boat with an old anchor, I knew the drill
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2023, 14:11   #141
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Maybe but I had to get a 25 lb Mantus M1 new gen anchor to do the same job as my 20 lb. CQR which also came with my boat.

I used it for 10 years though and it worked fine, but this being my 7th or 8th boat with an old anchor, I knew the drill

35lbs is the recommended sized CQR for your boat
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2023, 15:13   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
35lbs is the recommended sized CQR for your boat
Yeah, but the CQR is such a good anchor that the 20 lb'er the PO left on the boat worked fine for many years. (about 10 years)

Then I got the 25 lb. Mantus M1 for $300 instead of a used 35 lb. CQR for $225.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M1 (2).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	274807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mantus M1 25LB.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	274808  

Old 30-04-2023, 16:14   #143
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Many of the posters here have decades of cruising/anchoring in widely different conditions in many different parts of the globe. I listen to their opinions carefully. The weekenders who have never done any distance or long term cruising ... not so much.
Old 30-04-2023, 18:02   #144
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
What is the point of having a lunch hook. Do people actually stop sailing to have lunch..we had a 10 ton boat that we used a 35 pound anchor on. What size would a luch hook be?
I guess a Lunch Hook was a thing a few years back:
Bought my first boat in 1985, a 44' Bill Tripp Bermuda Yawl and it sported a 12 lbs Danforth HT
on the bow as a "Lunch Hook", as well as a 35 Danforth as the "Working Anchor".
(That was it, big heavy boat, small anchors, no windlass, no roller furling, no bimini, no dodger, no fridge, no autopilot, no Sat Nav, no nothing and we didn't know any better)
This was my first boat, I had never sailed before, never owned a boat before and I was clueless, a typical newbie in my late 20s.
When we sailed from St. Croix to Buck Island in the USVIs we'd drop the lunch hook to do just that, have lunch and snorkel before we sailed back.
A few times however we would meet nice folks on other boats and have dinner and drinks, then spend the night with the 12 lbs HT Lunch Hook keeping us in place even in a squall as we forgot about which anchor was deployed.
The 12 lbs HT Danforth did a great job..

The 35 lbs regular Danforth, not HT however did a lousy job and dragged all over if the wind picked up.
(I know, both anchors were too small and we met some bad holding here and there, like Lindberg Bay in St. Thomas. No insurance on the boat, beginners luck kept us afloat.)

Learned a lot since then and my boats got smaller while the anchors got bigger and better and the Lunch Hook, the Working Anchor and the Storm Anchor got rolled into a big one, like a 55 # Delta on a 33' boat.
Or a 33 # Rocna on a 28' boat some years later. (Power boat, Albin 28TE)

"Lunch Hook" may be a thing of the past, like dinosaurs.
Old 30-04-2023, 18:11   #145
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Bought my first boat in 1985, a 44' Bill Tripp Bermuda Yawl and it sported a 12 lbs Danforth HT
on the bow as a "Lunch Hook", as well as a 35 Danforth as the "Working Anchor".
(That was it, big heavy boat, small anchors, no windlass, no roller furling, no bimini, no dodger, no fridge, no autopilot, no Sat Nav, no nothing and we didn't know any better)
This was my first boat, I had never sailed before, never owned a boat before and I was clueless, a typical newbie in my late 20s.
When we sailed from St. Croix to Buck Island in the USVIs we'd drop the lunch hook to do just that, have lunch and snorkel before we sailed back.
A few times however we would meet nice folks on other boats and have dinner and drinks, then spend the night with the 12 lbs HT Lunch Hook keeping us in place even in a squall as we forgot about which anchor was deployed.
The 12 lbs HT Danforth did a great job..

The 35 lbs regular Danforth, not HT however did a lousy job and dragged all over if the wind picked up.
(I know, both anchors were too small and we met some bad holding here and there, like Lindberg Bay in St. Thomas. No insurance on the boat, beginners luck kept us afloat.)

Learned a lot since then and my boats got smaller while the anchors got bigger and better and the Lunch Hook, the Working Anchor and the Storm Anchor got rolled into a big one, like a 55 # Delta on a 33' boat.
Or a 33 # Rocna on a 28' boat some years later. (Power boat, Albin 28TE)

The Danforths have large fluke areas and incredible holding power in the right bottom. Our old anchoring system if we were to stay awhile in one area would be 2 large danforths set 180 degrees from each other. Never failed.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:57   #146

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
. . . and the Lunch Hook, the Working Anchor and the Storm Anchor got rolled into a big one, like a 55 # Delta on a 33' boat. . . "Lunch Hook" may be a thing of the past, like dinosaurs.
I agree. I don't think I've seen anyone using a "lunch hook" since the 90's.

FWIW we normally heave to for lunch, if the conditions are lively and we want some calm while we eat.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:24   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Many of the posters here have decades of cruising/anchoring in widely different conditions in many different parts of the globe. I listen to their opinions carefully. The weekenders who have never done any distance or long term cruising ... not so much.
Nice.

Many of us weekenders though have anchored in many different places over the globe as well.

It seems there are weekend sailors everywhere.

Also, these days it's quite easy to research areas you may not have been before.

Most of us also realize that anchoring in different places a few 1000 miles from home will be somewhat different, but then again, my boat had the CQR on the bow when I found it.

The PO was returning North from the Bahamas so from here to the Bahamas I should be good. If my new gen anchor fails to hold, I know my CQR will get the job done.

It's not rocket science; it's just anchoring so when you have been doing it since your early teens you start to have a feel for it after a few years
Old 01-05-2023, 06:42   #148

Quote:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've enjoyed reading this thread. I'm 77 and have boated since the mid-1950s.

Lunch hooks are/were relics of the past because one needed a huge heavy anchor to be able to sleep an entire night on the hook and they didn't want to deploy the big heavy one for just an hour for lunch. They hadn't learned how to heave to yet because they didn't have the internet or roller furling so the jibs were too big to do so.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:58   #149
smj

Quote:
Nice.

Many of us weekenders though have anchored in many different places over the globe as well.

It seems there are weekend sailors everywhere.

Also, these days it's quite easy to research areas you may not have been before.

Most of us also realize that anchoring in different places a few 1000 miles from home will be somewhat different, but then again, my boat had the CQR on the bow when I found it.

The PO was returning North from the Bahamas so from here to the Bahamas I should be good. If my new gen anchor fails to hold, I know my CQR will get the job done.

It's not rocket science; it's just anchoring so when you have been doing it since your early teens you start to have a feel for it after a few years

Knowing your love for the CQR, why did you throw good money at a Mantus?
Old 01-05-2023, 07:39   #150

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I've enjoyed reading this thread. I'm 77 and have boated since the mid-1950s.

Lunch hooks are/were relics of the past because one needed a huge heavy anchor to be able to sleep an entire night on the hook and they didn't want to deploy the big heavy one for just an hour for lunch. They hadn't learned how to heave to yet because they didn't have the internet or roller furling so the jibs were too big to do so.
....AND back in the day electric anchor windlasses were rare or non-existent. So being able to drop and retrieve a lightweight anchor easily by hand for short-term stops in fair weather was quite desirable.

The term "lunch hook" was never meant to literally mean an anchor used by sailors to stop and have lunch, as has been implied by a few in this thread.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cqr, rocna