Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2023, 05:34   #16

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: Rocna 10 vs CQR 45

I agree with most of the posts. Panope is probably one of the smartest/unbiased anchor testers on the planet (thinwater is up there too), do listen to him (even if he endorses a car... LOL). You have a false choice.

I hear often, on almost every topic, that "THIS is one place you don't want to skimp", "cheap insurance," etc. It usually makes me barf. But this one I agree with!

You do need to consider your cruising style. If you are a weekend coastal sailor in sheltered local waters, you probably don't need an anchor rated for a hurricane, because you will be home at your slip when that happens. But your anchors are unsuited for your boat.

I had a 33 lb Bruce on the Chesapeake for my 34 ft, 12,000 lb Sabre 34. It worked brilliantly. Granted, your little Rocna is a superior design to the Bruce, but your boat is twice the weight of my Sabre.

You may not need to replace it before your first weekend. And judging by Penope's comments, the CQR is probably the better choice between the two. But as commented up thread, scour Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, and chandlery sales for a more appropriate anchor. You can also do well at used boat part places, such as Bacon's in Annapolis.

As a single point of comparison, our 22,000 lb Saga 43 has a 55 lb Rocna. We have anchored hundreds of times, across thousands of miles and differing seabeds, in winds into the 40s and with the exception of some horrible grass on Lake Ontario, have never dragged. Others might argue for a bigger anchor, but I would suggest that you need an anchor, regardless of design, someplace over 50 lb.

One suggestion. Update your profile with boat and cruising grounds. I looked to see where you sail, and it is blank.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 05:41   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's right!

You've set up a choice between two bad options.

The right answer is neither. Buy a good anchor in the correct size. This is not (!) a place to save money or make that kind of compromise.

Rocna is light years better than CQR, and is quite good but there are still better options. I would suggest doing some research.

The only thing I can add to Mike's post is that, on top of all that, invest some time in developing good anchoring technique. The best gear in the world will not keep your boat safe if you don't use it correctly.

Yes, well said DH. We always focus on anchors, but the single most important aspect of good anchoring is proper technique. Good technique can compensate for poor equipment, and bad technique can erase all benefits of having the best stuff.

And since we're onto it, to the OP: I would not only buy a well-sized "new-gen" anchor for your boat, I would likely buy something other than a Rocna. Again, Rocnas are fine anchors, but just like they surpassed the old CQRs, now there are newer designs that are even better than them.
Old 23-04-2023, 06:09   #18

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

I can only tell you my experience. When we bought our boat ( 41 feet, 28,000 lbs cruise-ready loaded) she was equipped with a CQR 35 and a Danforth 20. Our rode includes 70 feet of 3/8 chain. We drug that CQR all along the Gulf Coast from Brownsville Texas to Annapolis Maryland. In anxious situations I would also set the Danforth. The Danforth invariably held better than the CQR. So why did I continue with CQR so long? Because it more conveniently stowed on the bow roller.
When I finally got tired of dragging anxiety I bought a Fortress 23. It has held wonderfully in every anchoring situation we’ve been in for 23 years, except one time it got fouled on a piece of sheet metal in 35 kt wind in the notoriously silty Offatts Bayou in Galveston. I bought a second Fortress 23 at a resale shop in Pensacola. They wouldn’t take the stainless 35 CQR. They were full up and no one wanted them.
Old 23-04-2023, 06:21   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
I can only tell you my experience. When we bought our boat ( 41 feet, 28,000 lbs cruise-ready loaded) she was equipped with a CQR 35 and a Danforth 20. Our rode includes 70 feet of 3/8 chain. We drug that CQR all along the Gulf Coast from Brownsville Texas to Annapolis Maryland. In anxious situations I would also set the Danforth. The Danforth invariably held better than the CQR. So why did I continue with CQR so long? Because it more conveniently stowed on the bow roller.
When I finally got tired of dragging anxiety I bought a Fortress 23. It has held wonderfully in every anchoring situation we’ve been in for 23 years, except one time it got fouled on a piece of sheet metal in 35 kt wind in the notoriously silty Offatts Bayou in Galveston. I bought a second Fortress 23 at a resale shop in Pensacola. They wouldn’t take the stainless 35 CQR. They were full up and no one wanted them.
I'm sure you did.

A CQR 35 is way to small for your 41 foot, 28,000 lb. boat.

My old CQR 20 worked fine for my 27', 6600 lb. sailboat for about 10 years, but since it was getting worn at the hinge pin area I was about to replace it with a used CQR 35 when I found a Mantus 25 lb anchor new for about the same price

https://www.anchoring.com/pages/plow...r-sizing-chart
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 06:51   #20

I used a 35# CQR (non-genuine) with my previous 12,000# boat for years. When I acquired my current boat, which rings in at nearly 30,000#, it came with a genuine 45# CQR. I again used for years. In both cases the CQR worked fine most of the time, but as per most owners experience, dragging happened occasionally.

Since switching to a Rocna 25 (55#) I've only knowingly dragged once. I've had this anchor for approaching a decade now, and tend to anchor and cruise in some challenging areas.

If/when I replace this anchor I will likely go one size bigger (because I can). At this point I'd choose the Excel, but when the time comes, I'll deep-dive into the current research to decide. I do know that while the Rocna is a good anchor, other designs are outperforming it on tests, and in the anecdotes.
Old 23-04-2023, 07:36   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
. . .

And since we're onto it, to the OP: I would not only buy a well-sized "new-gen" anchor for your boat, I would likely buy something other than a Rocna. Again, Rocnas are fine anchors, but just like they surpassed the old CQRs, now there are newer designs that are even better than them.
I had a 121 pound Rocna on my boat for a few years. It's a good anchor, worlds better than the Delta it replaced, and I never dragged it once set, but in my experience it has some drawbacks:

1. It's badly balanced, wanting to come into the roller backwards, and often hitting the bottom upside down. I needed a swivel (which I hate) and had to manhandle it into the roller, which I hated.

2. The thick roll bar easily clogs in soft mud.

Of the hoop anchors, the only one I would consider is the Mantus, which has a very thin and wide roll bar and apparently better geometry.

I've had great results with Spades since the late 90's, which in my experience are head and shoulders better than Rocna, albeit much more expensive. Drawbacks here are poor galvanizing and very difficult to regalvanize.

The best balanced anchor I've ever used is the Ultra, which appears to be a copy of the Spade but apparently has some tweaks to the geometry. Absolutely great anchor!

The hoopless Rocna, also inspired by the Spade, is also supposed to be a great anchor, but I haven't tried it. Forgot what it's called.

Lastly, there's the Excel, which is hoopless and ballasted so probably well balanced. It's a plow rather than a scoop, and looks like a Delta, but is supposed to perform on a different level, and people like it. I have no experience with that one, so FWIW.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 07:46   #22
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, well said DH. We always focus on anchors, but the single most important aspect of good anchoring is proper technique. Good technique can compensate for poor equipment, and bad technique can erase all benefits of having the best stuff.

The beauty of the new generation anchors is technique really doesn’t matter. Drop the anchor with appropriate scope and back down, no need to let them “soak” into the bottom.
Well, I guess appropriate scope would be considered technique......maybe?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 08:40   #23

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

As others have said, peace of mind is the most important consideration. Not a place to be cheap. Buy the best anchor you can afford, you won’t regret it. We have a Mantus 85 pound anchor. Love it. Buy the Mantus dinghy anchor while you are at it, it’s insanely good.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 09:12   #24

If you are used to the CQR and it has worked well for you then go ahead. To me they are one of the worst. I always found them finicky to set even back when it was the "go to" anchor.
I found even the Delta, (which can be picked up quite reasonable with all the modern types out there now,) to be a vast improvement over the CQR. The only problem with the Delta, or most anchors really, is a big wind shift and it will drag. For steady wind holding they are fine. A Delta stands up when it lands on the bottom. A CQR almost always falls over on it's side. In coarse sand that may be OK, but any firmness to the bottom and it drags nicely along on it's side.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 10:38   #25

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
The hoopless Rocna, also inspired by the Spade, is also supposed to be a great anchor, but I haven't tried it. Forgot what it's called.

Lastly, there's the Excel, which is hoopless and ballasted so probably well balanced. It's a plow rather than a scoop, and looks like a Delta, but is supposed to perform on a different level, and people like it. I have no experience with that one, so FWIW.

Vulcan. We've got a 40 (88-lbs) now, but haven't gotten it wet yet...

Rex swears up and down the Excel is not a plough. Looks like one to me. Would have been my next choice after the Vulcan, but a cardboard mock-up wouldn't fit in our davit...

-Chris
Old 23-04-2023, 12:44   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The beauty of the new generation anchors is technique really doesn’t matter. Drop the anchor with appropriate scope and back down, no need to let them “soak” into the bottom.
Well, I guess appropriate scope would be considered technique......maybe?

I get your point, but I think technique still matters. I’m sure we’ve all seen anchoring failures, even with new-gen anchors. As a personal anecdote, I watched a boat — with exactly the same anchor as mine — fail multiple times to get it to hold. I was anchored.

The anchorage was a bit challenging, but nothing too unusual. The other boat was failing due to poor technique.

Once I offered a few suggestions the other boat was able to get hooked well. So technique still matters. But I agree, new anchors make it a lot easier.

My personal theory is that those of us who first learned to anchor (well) with older-style anchors, are more likely to have learned good technique, vs those lucky enough to start out with a new-gen anchor. Older anchors forced people to learn good technique. With newer anchors, you can get away with poorer technique.
Old 23-04-2023, 13:07   #27

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Fwiw, ground tackle is not an item to be compromised with, buy pretty much any “new generation “ anchor and appropriate chain, and you will sleep well every night. It’s absolutely no fun to wake up at 2:45 am realizing that you are dragging in a crowded anchorage. We have a Rocna 15 on our boat, it is one size bigger than recommended, and we would not have it any other way. A couple of months after you purchase the “correct ground tackle” you will never notice the money spent.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 13:30   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
I had a 121 pound Rocna on my boat for a few years. It's a good anchor, worlds better than the Delta it replaced, and I never dragged it once set, but in my experience it has some drawbacks:

1. It's badly balanced, wanting to come into the roller backwards, and often hitting the bottom upside down. I needed a swivel (which I hate) and had to manhandle it into the roller, which I hated.

I think it's likely the bow roller design was incompatible. I've had my Rocna 55lb. on three different boats and never once had it meet the roller backwards.
Old 23-04-2023, 17:03   #29

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
Forget the words CQR and Rocna for a while.

Go to Steve Goodwin's (S/V Panope) anchor reviews on YouTube, look at the summary chart toward the end of his video #131.

Pick from there. (Unless one of his newer videos has even better info.)

-Chris
I guess you missed his post? Check #8.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 17:23   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
My genuine CQR "45" weighs 50 pounds on my scale.

My rollbar Rocna "10" weighs 22 pounds on my scale.

A brief Google search reveals the Downeast 38 at 20,000 lbs.

The statement "Rocna anchors are superior in all metrics" is false. They are better (than equal size CQR) in many, perhaps most, but not "all" metrics.

I have tested both of these anchors in several seabed types and found the 50 lb. CQR to have higher holding power than the 22 lb. Rocna in all cases.

Steve
22lb. undersized Rocna vs. a 50lb. CQR !!!
Reverse those sizes and tell us what happens.

Tags
cqr, rocna