Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2023, 19:07   #61
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Rocna 10 vs CQR 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I don't dispute that modern anchor designs have shown to be good at holding power, etc, but some thought must also be applied as to how to stow the thing on the bow of a boat.

Anyone can design a massive plate of steel with phenominal holding power, but to do it in such a manner as to be stowable and manageable on deck or on a roller is a big challenge.

The Bruce was designed sometime in the 70's as I recall, to serve as an anchor for floating oil rigs and found it's way onto the sailboar market...and was no longer made around about 2007 when the patent expired ??...not exactly sure of all these dates without spending the time to google it all.

The Bruce was then cloned by Lewmar and sold as the "Claw". Hardly a fitting name for an anchor. Seen side by side, I'd be hard pressed to tell a difference, but those smarter than me inform that there is a difference. The only difference I could tell was the $$ price.. a substantial difference at that.

From my perspective, the Bruce is a one-piece casting....no bolts, hoops, swivels, etc, so right off the bat this appealed to me.

It also stows with relative ease on most bow anchor rollers...another plus.....even side by side adjacent to ...say...a CQR....'jes sayin'...and launching and retrieving it has always been a cinch....another important aspect.

My personal experience has been that it resets easily when the boat swings...another important factor.

Interestingly, most shrimp boats in my neck of the woods sport a homemade Northill type anchor on the bow, likely welded up in some garage somewhere. I've been reliably informed that they swear by these things and consider any other type of anchor as a toy. Goes to show.....some people like a certain type of anchor and are unlikely to be swayed. In any type of projected hurricane, they go into the marshes and drop their homemade anchor to live to fight another day.

At the end of the day, I reiterate, that I know what to expect when I drop the Bruce, so much so, that the CQR has been replaced by a second Bruce.....er..."claw"

I offer only my experience, knowing that others will differ, which is understandable as people sail different boats to different places and were introduced to different type of anchors.

Finally, anchor sales people also resort to "marketing" when trying to promote their anchors. This may take many forms...studies...reports...feedback...and off course...$$price$$.

Chosing an anchor, for many, often comes down to $$$.

To get back on topic....Rocna vs CQR, I'd likely pick the CQR simply from a practical point of view as I've opined above.

$$$$$$’s?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2022.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	274574

Name:	IMG_2023.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	274575
So save $320 and get a far superior anchor.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2023, 23:32   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Rocna 10 vs CQR 45

Defender sells a welded 45 lb CQR for $528.39

Get an anchor with a known history...and....stows well on the bow.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 04:20   #63
smj

Quote:
Defender sells a welded 45 lb CQR for $528.39

Get an anchor with a known history...and....stows well on the bow.

The Ford Pinto has a known history, and does a dandy job fitting into a parking space......but there are much better choices for a reliable vehicle.
Old 26-04-2023, 04:35   #64
Marine Service Provider

knock yerself out, smj, and get all the Rocna's you want....
Old 26-04-2023, 04:37   #65

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The Ford Pinto has a known history, and does a dandy job fitting into a parking space......but there are much better choices for a reliable vehicle.
Funny thing about the Ford Pinto was that many of them didn't last more than 40,000 miles with the wrong engine (2000cc), but if you got the little Kent 4 cylinder 1600cc (Ford UK) then you had something that was very reliable......

I put 85,000 miles on one in 2 years and mine had a header on it. I did trips as far South as (East) Palm Beach, FL and North to Elmira NY then constant teenage cruising around locally. With gas at close to 32 cents a gallon a couple dollars worth gave you 1/2 a tank

We were drawn to this original TV spot for the 1971 Ford Pinto because it shows us gearheads a little more mechanical hardware than the usual commercial of its time. We get to actually see the 1600 cc Ford Kent inline four, the original base engine at the Pinto’s introduction. (Later on, bigger fours and even a V6 were offered.) The Kent is a gem of an engine from Ford UK that powered an entire fleet of Formula Ford open-wheel racers, where many Formula 1 drivers launched their careers. We also get a good look at the Dagenham four-speed transmission and the rack-and-pinion steering unit, too. Ford’s front-engine, rear-drive subcompact was an early adopter of rack steering in the USA.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 04:39   #66
smj

Quote:
knock yerself out, smj, and get all the Rocna's you want....

Only takes one! But I do prefer the Mantus…….
Old 26-04-2023, 05:32   #67
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Funny thing about the Ford Pinto was that many of them didn't last more than 40,000 miles with the wrong engine (2000cc), but if you got the little Kent 4 cylinder 1600cc (Ford UK) then you had something that was very reliable......

I put 85,000 miles on one in 2 years and mine had a header on it. I did trips as far South as (East) Palm Beach, FL and North to Elmira NY then constant teenage cruising around locally. With gas at close to 32 cents a gallon a couple dollars worth gave you 1/2 a tank

We were drawn to this original TV spot for the 1971 Ford Pinto because it shows us gearheads a little more mechanical hardware than the usual commercial of its time. We get to actually see the 1600 cc Ford Kent inline four, the original base engine at the Pinto’s introduction. (Later on, bigger fours and even a V6 were offered.) The Kent is a gem of an engine from Ford UK that powered an entire fleet of Formula Ford open-wheel racers, where many Formula 1 drivers launched their careers. We also get a good look at the Dagenham four-speed transmission and the rack-and-pinion steering unit, too. Ford’s front-engine, rear-drive subcompact was an early adopter of rack steering in the USA.
and ... they make excellent anchors
Old 26-04-2023, 05:40   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rocna 10 vs CQR 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You must have one helluva bow roller..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 06:15   #69

Boat: Rafiki 37

Getting an anchor that fits your bow roller is certainly an important factor. This is why I suggest getting the biggest new-gen anchor that fits your existing roller/holder. There’s enough range of options in these anchors that most people will find an option that fits most boats. So don’t let the fit problem be the barrier.

All this is aimed at people thinking about buying a new anchor. Obviously, if someone have a system that works perfectly, they’re not going to want to change. But for those who are looking to upgrade, or are starting with a new-old boat (as is the case of the OP), it just makes sense to go with the best current knowledge about anchors.
Old 26-04-2023, 06:42   #70

And if you don't have a bow roller, there are many other options depending on your boat.

My boat has a bow platform, and the Mantus M1 I bought fits on it perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mantus M1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	274593  
Old 26-04-2023, 06:48   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
They might be a bit bulky to use as an anchor, but would probably cost about the same now.

Mine was a 1971 and I got it for about $1500 with maybe 16,000 miles on it in 1973.

Then being a teenager growing up in a rural area I ran the crap out it going through the gears with the pedal to the metal in each gear and the engine still held up.

The car may have save my life also because it would only do around 84 mph. The car I traded for it a 1965 Impala with a 283 V8 would do close to 120 mph.
Old 26-04-2023, 07:59   #72
Marine Service Provider

I note that West Marine, in the US one of the go-to store for marine hardware, has a wide selection of Rocna's....some with a big hoop....some with a small hoop, and some with no hoop at all.
I count 9 varieties of the same anchor, but these include the Mantus.

Switching gears...my first car was a convertible called a Datsun Fairlady. It was an unusual name for a car. It was a two seater, had a four cylinder, 2,000 cc engine if I remember correctly. Loved it, but had to tune it almost every weekend to keep it running good.
Old 26-04-2023, 14:56   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
. . . Switching gears...my first car was a convertible called a Datsun Fairlady. It was an unusual name for a car. It was a two seater, had a four cylinder, 2,000 cc engine if I remember correctly. Loved it, but had to tune it almost every weekend to keep it running good.
I restored and resold one of those during one summer when I was in high school. Summer of my junior year.

It's an imitation of the MGB, and superior in some ways to the original. I liked it. It had license-built SU carbs which, on my copy, did not indeed need tuning that often. I put a few miles on it before selling it but only owned it for about 4 months.

My first car was a 1960 MGA 1600. Still have it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 15:37   #74

My first car was a 1959 Chevrolet Belair. (paid cash)

Second car 1966 Chevrolet Impala. (Financed $25/Month payment)

My third car was the 1971 (yellow) Pinto which I financed at age 16. ( $72 Payment Monthly)

4th Car 1973 Pontiac Lemans. (Financed $117/ month bought in 1974)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	59-Chevy-Bel-Air-DV-09_GC-a04-800.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	274619   Click image for larger version

Name:	1971 Ford Pinto.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	274620  

Name:	Lemans.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	274621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Used-1966-Chevrolet-Impala-FRAME-OFF-SS-RESTORED-BIG-BLOCK-427-SEE-VIDEO-1402319796.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	274622  

Old 27-04-2023, 06:39   #75

The only way to arrive to a conclusion for an anchor thread...
...talk about beautiful cars

Tags
cqr, rocna