Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2020, 13:01   #1

SAIL AROUND THE WORLD !!!

Good Afternoon

Firstly i hope everyone is well and doing ok.

Our Boat is currently in The Bahamas and we are looking to get things together to travel around the world. We will be back in Florida in December to get the boat hauled out and prepared for the adventure.

The Reason for the Post/Thread

Must see destinations
Sailing Plans
Information on the challenges
Discussion with people that have done a sail around the world or currently mid adventure

Our Boat is a fountain Pajot 46 ft catamaran 2001
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	344082f6-9363-48a0-8997-d44f31dd2424.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	226588   Click image for larger version

Name:	377216b7-fa11-4c1d-a1d7-cf3feb4471be.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	226589  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf SAILING Plan !!!.pdf (637.3 KB, 83 views)
Roundtheworld85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 18:42   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27
Re: SAIL AROUND THE WORLD !!!

Just noticed this thread.

Can you explain the steps you have taken in getting ready for this life changing experience?

I am asking because many on this forum dream about doing the same thing.

For example
1. What type of sailing experience do you have?
2. Have to practiced any heavy weather sailing?
3. What is the longest sailing trip you have taken?

etc.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 20:40   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundtheworld85 View Post
Good Afternoon

Firstly i hope everyone is well and doing ok.

Our Boat is currently in The Bahamas and we are looking to get things together to travel around the world. We will be back in Florida in December to get the boat hauled out and prepared for the adventure.

The Reason for the Post/Thread

Must see destinations
Sailing Plans
Information on the challenges
Discussioncobras with people that have done a sail around the world or currently mid adventure

Our Boat is a fountain Pajot 46 ft catamaran 2001
Nice, ambitious plan. Not sure what the numbers are on your pdf passage plan. Obviously the timing of this depends on Covid season slacking off.
A couple of comments:
If you aren't in a rush, far better to plan one year or one season at a time. Let the rest just catch up. We are 3/4s of the way around and its taken 10 years.
Sounds like you are starting in Florida and heading to the Windward islands first. That's 900 miles to weather. Not really fun. An alternate approach would be to head south and on to Panama for a Canal transit. Do the east Carib on the way back.
French Polynesia, especially the Marquesas and Tuamotos, is some of the best cruising you'll do. More work to get to and harder to come home from than the Carib. But much nicer IMO.
Don't skip New Zealand. Great place to spend the cyclone season.
Why did you route under Indonesia, instead of passing through? They have 17,000 islands and either way its 3,000nm.

Just a few comments,
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 21:25   #4

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Bula from Fiji RoundTheWorld85.
Hoping that you'll gain help and useful information from the forum and benefit from being involved. But I suspect that your post is way too wide to receive any useful replies.

Perhaps try posting your own thoughts, questions and ideas, say about specific locales or passages, asking for comments. Then I'm sure you'll receive helpful information from people who've been there, done that and have the tee shirt to prove it.

Also it is a good idea to complete your profile details so others know a little about you.

One question I have right off the bat is what do the numbers signify on the map?
Also who is the 'we'? Is that 4 experienced sailing friends all on the adventure of a lifetime or is it you and a cat called Muffy? Makes a big difference in reply relevance.

Obstacles right off the bat are Covid, Covid and Covid, certainly throughout the Pacific and South Asia, definitely for the next couple of years. And don't underestimate the Pacific as it is a a third of the surface of the globe. The next obvious problem is to fit the passages you plan around cyclone seasons. So perhaps include some tentative dates on your map.
Old 18-11-2020, 21:58   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

We're 5 years into or little sojourn - we thought we would stay on the Coconut Milk Run, but so far we've diverted up the east coast of the US to Canada and now we've diverted north again over Hawaii to The Seattle area, waiting for Canada to open so we can get to Alaska next summer. We're a bit indecisive at the moment as to where after Alaska.

Certainly down to Mexico but then what? Back across the Pacific? Polynesia is fantastic, but we could also wander down the west coast of Central America, a ride few others have done, then go back through the canal and back to Europe

What I'm saying is - great to have a plan, but you're better off saying (as we do

"We have no plan, and by golly - we're gonna stick to it!"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world, sail