Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2020, 19:37   #1

Boat: Catamaran between 38 and 46 ft.
Sailing apps

Hello CF members!
I am new here, will be buying a catamaran in a few years. I am a novice sailor but plenty of time to learn over the next few years to master some new skills.
Asking what would be the best apps to download to get to learn: navigation, weather, sailing techniques, boat maintenance, travel destinations,etc...
Thank you.
best regards,
Peter
Cathominem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 21:52   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Sailing apps

Best app? Kindle
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 22:26   #3

Opencpn on Windows or Mac or Linux - a real computer.
Stay off Android. It sucks on Android.
Old 13-04-2020, 05:45   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1997 Cobalt 232

Hello all! I just noticed this thread and thought I'd chime in. Also, feel free to delete this if self-promotion is a violation of the rules.

I'm the creator of the Boating Suite app for iOS and I have a new version of the app launching this Thursday, April 16th. You can read all about it here:

www.boatingsuite.com

Boating Suite: Logbook & Expense Tracker is a mobile app dedicated to assisting boaters with tracking their boat’s maintenance, expenses and detailed trip logs and runs on iPhone and iPad. It's a general boating app so it's not designed specifically for cruising or sailing.

I first launched Boating Suite in March of 2010 and it's been the #1 boating logbook on the App Store ever since.

For reference, I'm a boater myself and I created Boating Suite to fill my own needs...and if you send us an email, you'll get a reply from me. I'm a one-man show with occasional help from my two teenage boys.

You can pre-order the new app today and it will automatically be installed on the 16th.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have!

Thanks,

Rob Anonen
Founder/Creator
Boating Suite: Logbook & Expense Tracker
Tonka Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 23:58   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Rob, how many more of these boating app log books do you think we need?

I notice there is no contact address on the "Contact Us" page. That is a big red flag for me. Nor is the price on the website, you have to go to Apple App Store.

God luck, but a paper log book and a shopping list for me is just easier to manage.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 00:34   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka Boater View Post
Hello all! I just noticed this thread and thought I'd chime in. Also, feel free to delete this if self-promotion is a violation of the rules.

Boating Suite: Logbook & Expense Tracker
Yep, definitely irrelevant self-promotion.

How does a logbook/expense tracker answer the OP's question " to get to learn: navigation, weather, sailing techniques, boat maintenance, travel destinations,etc..."

... “Serving the Boating Community” ... trademarks of Boating Suite, LLC
You'd better do something about enforcing that. It's common usage worldwide

Here's one you can start with

Old 14-04-2020, 06:38   #7
Marine Service Provider

Hey guys -- thank you for the warm welcome. The mods contacted me and changed my account to service provider so this post doesn't serve as self promotion.

My goal certainly wasn't to ruffle any feathers. A friend pointed out this post to me and the timing of the OP's question coincided with the re-launch of my app. The OP mentioned boat maintenance and, since my app tracks maintenance, I thought it was relevant to the question.

As for the red flags mentioned by @Pete7... as I noted in my post, I created the app to fill my own needs. I'm a boater and an independent developer and run my little operation of out of my home. That's why I don't post my address publicly. I post my real name everywhere...not trying to hide who I am. I have a "real" job by day and run the app business with my teenage boys in the evenings and on the weekends...we're boaters just like you and I'm happy my boys would trade the Xbox for a weekend on the water. Another reason I don't post my address...not smart with kids involved.

As for the price on the website.... you said it yourself, the price is clearly listed on the App Store. One click from my website. It's $5...I'm not trying to hide anything. I charge for an update every 5 years to help fund new features and fix bugs. This equates to $0.08 per month. Again, it's not as though I'm trying pull one over on anyone with my huge price tag.

Finally, as for "how many more of these boating app log books do you think we need?" My question is, how many others are there? Are we really being flooded with them? I know of one, maybe two others but none have been around 10 years like mine.

I understand if certain apps aren't your thing or they don't meet your needs. No problem. But what's the point of trashing them? If an app causes a real problem for you then, yes, say something. But why bash something you haven't even tried?

So much for boaters being a band of brothers or for people supporting independents like me.

For those who have read this far, I have 5 promo codes for a free copy of the app. I'll give a code to the first 5 people who PM me. All I ask is that you provide constructive feedback for what the app is vs. flat out trashing the app because it's missing a feature that you want. I'm aware that there are a lot of things the app could do. We're not trying to the be the end-all, be-all boating app. The goal is to a be a quick, simple, efficient way to log your boating activities. Sure, I can add the ability to store PDF manuals, have fields for every single part # imaginable, allow photos of pets/kids/grandparents, NMEA integration, anchor alarm, float plan, social media integration... you name, I've heard it. That's not us. We're a logbook.

Again, thanks for your time and the warm welcome.

Rob
Old 14-04-2020, 08:02   #8

I am asking for “apps” as in applications like “navigation” “reading weather charts” “maintenance checklists” etc...Not an operating system like Apple, Android or Linux (or Kindle).
Apologies, if I was not clear in my initial request.
Thanks.
Old 14-04-2020, 08:19   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathominem View Post
I am asking for “apps” as in applications like “navigation” “reading weather charts” “maintenance checklists” etc...Not an operating system like Apple, Android or Linux (or Kindle).
Thanks.
I think it's smart to educate yourself in advance of your purchase. More knowledge will make you a safer boater for you, and your fellow boaters.

A company called Double Dog Studios has a handful of useful boating reference apps (no affiliation to me. I don't know them at all).

Double Dog Studios - Apps

I use their Boater's Pocket Reference Guide but they have others.

- Boating Calcs
- Navigation Rules (and a Pro version)
- Seamanship

Here are some other apps that I use:

- ProKnot (proknot.com)
- Navionics (navionics.com)
Old 14-04-2020, 08:40   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

ASA has a few sailing education apps and some instructional videos on their web site:

https://asa.com/sailing-app/

Nautical Ed has online sailing education:

https://www.nauticed.org/

StarPath also has excellent online education:

https://www.nauticed.org/

The " New American Practical Navigator" can be found online too. The original multivolume set was produced in 1802. The most well known contributor to this original tome was Nathaniel Bowditch...a true mathematical/navigation genius. This encyclopedic publication has been updated over the years and is now accessible for free at the link below.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_A...gator/Bowditch
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 10:28   #11

Boat: FP, Lavezzi, 40

Once you have your boat there will be many apps and programs that can help you. Until then here are a few that I use.

I like having Navionics (https://www.navionics.com/usa/apps/navionics-boating) on my phone as a cheap backup in case the larger systems have problems. There are many other phone navigation programs so you can look to see what you like. I use it a lot during the winter months to plan trips and dream of others.

While looking at destinations I find active captain (which is now owned by Garmin) https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/ helpful.

I also use have used https://fastseas.com/ (which lets you try a few routes for free each month) but pay for https://www.predictwind.com/ and use that more for weather prediction and weather routing. You can take a look and play to plan your dream cruises.

I would also search around on youtube. There are videos on just about everything including OpenCPN and sailing in general. They are no substitute for COLREGS or ASA but can be a fun way to get some info.
OneKoolCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 14:16   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The reason I lightheartedly suggested Kindle is because you will get a lot more out of reading books by people like Alan Calder, Peggy Hall, the Dashews and copies of COLREGs, Bowditch etc than you will from any "app".
Old 14-04-2020, 14:27   #13

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Any of the ship day and night signal tutorial apps like
Colregs: lights and shapes of vessels.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 16:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathominem View Post
Thanks.
INavX is $4.99 for the base app, but that comes with a full set of usable U.S./NOAA charts. So you can familiarize yourself with charting software, plotting routes, waypoints, etc. before you have a boat.

If you're not in the US, other charts are available but you will have to purchase them as in-app purchases. There are also weather overlay services in the in-app store.
iNavX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 18:01   #15

Thanks Tonka boater, belizesailor, OneKoolCat, StuM and bensolomon! Just what I needed! My motto will be KISS - Keep It Simple Sailor!

Tags
sail, sailing