Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2021, 11:43   #31

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Sailing with 2,5 year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes but you lead by example
In general, this is a truism. Yet, there are things an adult can do a child cannot, and while I often try to explain it, the reasoning is at times beyond them.

My example is that I'm not legally required to wear a PFD, I can swim from anchorage to shore, can dive to 40', and can pull myself from the water onto the deck, going from the dolphin striker up over the pushpit. When the kids can say that, they don't have to wear a life jacket.

The kids have seen me wear a PFD, and seen me tethered. They know that I know when it's time for them to don a PFD, and when it's time for me to.

Sometimes examples can be conflicting. They've seen me rush off to save distressed vessels when USCG was too chicken**** to go out. On the one hand, they know what I'm doing is dangerous and I'd not recommend anyone do it. Bad example? On the other hand, the example I set is that "somebody" has to do it, and that somebody is me.

Over time, kids put the pieces together and it makes sense. Until then, they do as they're told.

Back to the OP, a 2 YO with no boating experience is likely to be a handful. Of course a 2 YO should wear a PFD. No example or explanation is necessary.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:18   #32

Oh, going sailing with an 18-month baby is great.
Zachary M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 16:02   #33

Boat: Chartering so far

Great great thanks to everyone on the tips and discussions!!
Super helpful and hopefully they can make it!
Jaimesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:40   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimesan View Post
I am sailing this summer for a month in Greek Dodecanese.
My sis wants to come with husband and a baby girl 2,5 years old.
Baby does not know how to swim or even basic water skills (call for help, hold a rope, swim etc).
I just see danger everywhere, we can have a net around the deck but still there are so many points of danger: quays, transom open, etc. I just imagine the girl
We set sail from southern Denmark to the arctic circle with 4 children on board - aged 8 weeks old, 4yo, 6yo, and 8yo. No regrets - just being careful with the 4yo and the baby, making sure we knew at any time where they were. The 3 kids (not the baby) always had to don the life vests before going on deck, and click themselves into a life line whenever they wanted to leave the center cockpit - regardless of sea and weather conditions. It worked out fine. They all survived to adulthood...

Yes, **** can happen. On a boat and on land. But worse is never to make experiences out of excessive fear.
pufferfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:11   #35

My eldest had sailed 1700 miles by her first birthday, no problem at all. She had done another 4000 by her third, still no problem.

I always felt the most dangerous place was the dingy, so she was tethered in it.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:16   #36

Boat: Back Cove 33

Not to throw a blanket over this whole thing but here’s my thoughts. It will stressful at best and downright dangerous at the worst. A 2.5 yr old should have basic water education. What about the adults. Can they swim? What about seasickness for anyone, baby included? Small children make lots of laundry. Holding tank issues? Need frequent pump outs. Food issues? And how about sightseeing? Small children get tired easily. Will you rent or bring a stroller? Medical care? Do the adults understand what it’s like when the boat moves? On the top level it sounds like a great time. But think through all these issues completely before saying yes. Or be prepared to be at a slip for the whole time.
Adiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:12   #37

Thumbs down Re: Sailing with 2,5 year old.

You are begging for trouble. When things go wrong, you will get the blame.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:23   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
When things go wrong, you will get the blame.
As with all things in life. Either you get the blame if you're doing stuff or you're one of the charming people whose way through life is by blaming others.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:14   #39

Boat: Maxi87 29' sailboat

OP :
"I am sailing this summer for a month in Greek Dodecanese.
My sis wants to come with husband and a baby girl 2,5 years old."

You didn't say if this was one month with them, or if they just will stay with you for a week or two ?

However, my advice (if you must do this) - plan to stay in marinas every night.
Long passages are a hell for those who don't really want to, so just make short daytrips.
Then, if anything goes bad, it will just be a matter of hours, before all of you can relax in a marina.

Sail your daytrips around an island with an airport, if everything goes way down.

Good luck ! You'll need it !
carstendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:03   #40

My daughter started sailing at 2.5 weeks. She will love it!
grogport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:05   #41
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

The first post in this thread implied that an inflatable life jacket was an option. It isn't allowed at all for children under 16, I think (USA/Canada). I don't know about the rules where you will be.

In addition, even a child who can swim can easily drown if thrown into deep water suddenly. Adults too. Either panic or a reflex intake of breath while underwater and they never come up.

Personally, I would book a hotel or pension for your guests and take them out for day sails. Then you're not trapped with each other and an unhappy child.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:25   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstendenmark View Post
However, my advice (if you must do this) - plan to stay in marinas every night.
Long passages are a hell for those who don't really want to, so just make short daytrips.
While I agree with no long passages in general for guest not into sailing, having to go back to the marina every evening is destroying a lot of the experience.

What always worked well for me, be it with or without children, is a rhythm of 1 or 2 nights at anchor, 1 night in a marina and to make sure the passages between anchorages and marinas are shortish. Given my current cruising ground, we usually start out with a 4-5 hour passage from the marina and anchor. Next day a short hop (1-2 hours) to the next anchorage to be followed by another short hop (2-3 hours) to the new marina to arrive in the late afternoon. Repeat to finally arrive in the original marina when the vacation is over. If they like an anchorage specially well, stay for 2 nights and skip the second anchorage. And sometimes in the morning, in the place where I am, there's a pod of dolphins swimming through the bay.

Laying on the foredeck with a clear and glorious night-sky, paddling out early morning into the sunrise, having dinner at anchor are experiences you can't have while in the marina.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:32   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Personally, I would book a hotel or pension for your guests and take them out for day sails. Then you're not trapped with each other and an unhappy child.
What kind of terrors do you have as children to consider such things? There are so many unusual activities on a boat that to distract any child from being unhappy. I've sailed with a few children, but they never were the problem - even if one tried to sink the boat by not closing properly the seacock in the head. He learned his lesson by being handed the bucket and a sponge to clean up the mess instead of being shouted at. He made eyes like saucers - I guess it was the first time in his life that he really had to bear the consequences of his actions.

On the other hand, adults - specially know-it-all men can be a little of a pain to handle. The pampered princess type women usually get a lot more mellow, when they're put on the helm. Seems the implicit and visible trust in them is often something they miss in their life.

All of the above assumes nice weather for lounging vacations. If the weather is bad, it's better not to go out sailing or seek shelter somewhere.
Old 05-07-2021, 13:26   #44
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
What kind of terrors do you have as children to consider such things? There are so many unusual activities on a boat that to distract any child from being unhappy. I've sailed with a few children, but they never were the problem - even if one tried to sink the boat by not closing properly the seacock in the head. He learned his lesson by being handed the bucket and a sponge to clean up the mess instead of being shouted at. He made eyes like saucers - I guess it was the first time in his life that he really had to bear the consequences of his actions.
On the other hand, adults - specially know-it-all men can be a little of a pain to handle. The pampered princess type women usually get a lot more mellow, when they're put on the helm. Seems the implicit and visible trust in them is often something they miss in their life.
All of the above assumes nice weather for lounging vacations. If the weather is bad, it's better not to go out sailing or seek shelter somewhere.
Well, I nearly drowned as a kid of 6 years old, even though I could actually swim - but I don't have terrors of the water. A kind adult saved me

However, I have found that when we were confined with my own sibling and spouse it was pretty well intolerable after a few days.

And when we took a couple of close friends aboard on a 2-week ICW passage, it turns out the guy was an alcoholic and things got ugly when we didn't permit drinking until the hook was down.

Perhaps it's us. YMMV.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 13:37   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
And when we took a couple of close friends aboard on a 2-week ICW passage, it turns out the guy was an alcoholic and things got ugly when we didn't permit drinking until the hook was down.
I agree with you on this. Adults can be a problem, specially when they expect alcohol or other recreational drugs to be a major part of anything considered fun. That is a way to get quickly uninvited with me. And I don't feel bad kicking people off the boat at the next marina, if things don't work out.

Tags
sail, sailing