Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2024, 08:13   #1

Boat: Oyster 48 Lightwave
Seasonal Mooring New England? (Just bought a boat)

Hi there,

First time poster...

Just signed the paperwork on a '91 Oyster 48 Lightwave. Now the hard part....finding a place to keep it for the season. The boat is currently on the hard at NEB in Newport. We are from out of state and will be traveling to the boat. I've made dozens of calls, as well as inquiries on Dockwa, but no luck so far. We will move the boat south at the end of the season. Happy to hear any tips, tricks, ideas, bribes to help.

Thanks!
Midwaysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 08:19   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Seasonal Mooring New England? (Just bought a boat)

Quote:
Happy to hear any tips, tricks, ideas, bribes to help.
Do you need to keep the boat in Rhode Island? If not, there are lots of possibilities in Massachusetts. Check out New Bedford, for example. In this season I have found it helpful to visit the boatyard office with checkbook in hand. Also, call the mooring service/installer people. They may know someone who has some empty moorings.
Old 15-05-2024, 08:23   #3

Thanks, JJ! Just need it relativley close to a major airport, and perferably with a launch service. For better or for worse I'm headed out on a transpac next week and don't have time to get out there to go door to door until my return...when whatever remains will be long gone. Any leads on the mooring/service people?
Old 15-05-2024, 08:26   #4

RI Mooring Services: https://rimoorings.com/rhode-island-...ring-projects/
Monarch Moorings: https://monarchmoorings.com/
Pioneer Mooring: https://pioneermooring.com/
Old 15-05-2024, 09:25   #5

Boat: Allied Seawind II

Mattapoisett Boatyard in Buzzards Bay had moorings as of a few weeks ago. The staff is nice and they have a launch. It’s just over an hour to Logan.
Darin Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 11:01   #6

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Congratulations on the acquisition. How far are you “out of state” ? Depending on location and local town permitting practices there maybe a way to wiggle your way in.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 11:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
Congratulations on the acquisition. How far are you “out of state” ? Depending on location and local town permitting practices there maybe a way to wiggle your way in.
Thanks! Very far....western US.
Old 15-05-2024, 12:01   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Have you tried any marinas in upper Narragansett bay?
A number of them have rental moorings but they've been harder to get since covid and dock prices went up.
Warwick Cove, Greenwhich Cove, Appanoag Harbor.
Several Marinas in that area. Only issue would be a launch service, not all have them.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 12:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
Have you tried any marinas in upper Narragansett bay?
A number of them have rental moorings but they've been harder to get since covid and dock prices went up.
Warwick Cove, Greenwhich Cove, Appanoag Harbor.
Several Marinas in that area. Only issue would be a launch service, not all have them.
Thanks. I've been using dockwa and now snag a slip, but there are some new one's here that you mention that I will try. This is harder than finding a pretty hard to find boat!

Also, can anyone plese talk to me about launch service? I'm only familiar with keeping a boat in a slip but, as you mentioned, it's gotten rather pricey. Seems to me that it might be better to have a place with a launch service since we'll be away from the boat for strethes at a time and having a dingy in the water doesn't seem ideal.

Thoughts?
Old 15-05-2024, 13:14   #10

Lots of harbors have places you can leave your dinghy on the beach or on a rack, sometimes for a fee.
Old 15-05-2024, 14:45   #11

Boat: Adams 45

If you're willing to consider the NYC area, Port Washington is a lovely harbor with a very nice town on the north shore of Long Island. The Port Washington train station is a 15-20 minute walk from the town dock, and it's about a half hour train ride into NYC. Launch service is provided and it's a first-class operation. The launch will take you to/from the town dock, or the nearby shopping area with a supermarket, liquor stores, etc. and a West Marine. Mooring is $2100 for the season, or $35/day.

https://www.portwatertaxi.com/mooring-services
pjShap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 17:28   #12

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

[QUOTE=Midwaysailor;3899726

Also, can anyone plese talk to me about launch service?

I can only speak to my experiences, my vessel is on a mooring in Oyster Bay, Long Island about 40 min. From JFK or LaGuardia airport. We get our mooring permit from the town and (we rent a mooring ball that is weight appropriate for our vessel) from a marina with launch service. The fees are separate. An 800# mooring for 1,500$ and the launch service for 1800$ ish. From April 1st to thanksgiving.

Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 20:38   #13

Have you considered Maine? Some of the best cruising in the world. Uncrowded. Stunningly beautiful. From NEB it's three easy day sails or one overnight.

Lots of options in Maine but I'd look at Handy Boat in Falmouth Foreside. Excellent launch. 15 minutes from Portland Airport. Or fly to much bigger Boston and rent a car or take the train.

Farther along the coast consider Rockland Harbor which has a great little airport with frequent flights to Boston. Here you are right in the middle of famous Penobscot Bay with more great anchorages than you could visit in a decade (I've tried).
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2024, 10:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Have you considered Maine? Some of the best cruising in the world. Uncrowded. Stunningly beautiful. From NEB it's three easy day sails or one overnight.
Yes, we are looking at that and Handy does have a mooring available. $4700 for the season, FYI.

OK, with local knowledge can you fill me in on cruising up there with teens? Is the water tolerable to play in? Sound like tons of exploring and local culture. Understand there can be fog and rocks to make things challenging. What is typical summer weather?

We plan to take the boat south come winter time and with the boat in Newport now it seems like now is the time to go visit Maine. Probably take the boat up there in late June/early July, and have weeks with the boat in July, August, and September before starting the treck south (SE coast, still TBD, and eventually the Caribbean).

Thanks!
Old 16-05-2024, 11:56   #15

Boat: Sabre 402

If they don't jump right out, teens might be able to spend ten minutes in Maine ocean water before getting cold. Early summer in Maine (June, early July) will likely be foggy, which is not good for swimming, especially coupled with the cold water. Later on is fantastic, though the water stays cold. Wetsuits?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, England, mooring, new england