Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2021, 17:38   #16

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Re: Sharing a dock finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heller View Post
I did, she suggested either me switching my dock side or moving to another open dock. I feel completely bullied into accommodating.
The step and the lines left on the dock are a total safety hazard to us when we dock. I dock slowly enough so people can just step off, but if you're not looking down with the bow line it's easy to trip.
I'm going to check out the other dock today, I just wondered if anyone had suggestions other than me caving. I've tried to reason with her, she doesn't get back to me.
Wondering why your attached to the problematic dock?
Would it be a big Problem for you to move, or principal.
They Are the business owners right?
Many Marinas operate this way to accomidate as many business offers as possible.
Part of Boat Life.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 18:18   #17

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
I’m surprised the step didn’t fall off the dock.
That’s what I was thinking, wind has been known to get those steps you know 😉
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 18:20   #18

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
I went today to check out a new slip and the woman FINALLY got back to me!! She had called the harbor master as well and said she'd put the steps port side.
I'm glad I don't have to give notice & move docks. As for ME being the problem, I've been there 5 years w/ no requests or complaints ever. My rent is auto, I never cause a peep. I had asked when they moved the boat in about 4 mos ago, no reply. Asked again about a month ago when there were a bunch of us on the dock @ the same time, no reply.
If that step didn't take up 3/4 of the finger & is about a foot in front of mine, there'd be no complaints whatsoever.
Probably just the fact I'm complaining on here makes some of you think I'm a complainer...I'm really not, I just was asking what I should even do besides tripping over the thing when no one gets back to me about it.
If it were me, I would have seen what a hazard it was right away & had the clients dock port with more room.
It sounds resolved though, so it's not going to cost me.

Heller, I hope I didn't come across as think YOU were the problem. I don't. But that doesn't stop people some times from punishing people who make them do their job, if it's in their power.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 18:26   #19
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
That’s what I was thinking, wind has been known to get those steps you know ��

Ropes too. They can get really grotty after a few days in the water.

(kidding in my case)

I'm not a fan of sloppy ropes on the dock, but I can also watch where I put my feet. As for steps, many marinas have rules about those. Typically, they have to be moved off the finger after use.

I've really never run into a situation that bothered me.
Old 04-12-2021, 18:49   #20

Boat: Hanse 430e

It would be a shame if that step fell in the water and sank when no one was around.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 19:06   #21

Not super attached, just a pain for me because they're dockminiums & privately owned. I have to give 30 days notice, put in another deposit, etc. & probably wait that 30 days to move. That wouldn't be a big deal, I'm glad I don't have to do it though!
Heller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 19:11   #22

oops, I don't think I'm replying right?
LOL on the step falling in...believe me, that has occurred to me & everyone else who's seen it before I've ever said anything!
Old 05-12-2021, 20:40   #23

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:

I see what you did there
Old 05-12-2021, 21:33   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
If it were me, I would send a registered letter to the dock master. I would explain that I worked with the business owner, which was also a tenant at the dock, as are you but no resolution was forthcoming. I would state that in your opinion, placing a set of steps on the dock the size that was placed, as well as leaving lock lines arbitrarily scattered on the dock instead of being neatly placed out of the way, or coiled up, created an unsafe condition which had the potential of leading or contributing to serious injury, or loss of life. Ask that the dock master step in to request that the business owner replace the large steps with smaller ones that presented less of a safety hazard, and that they either remove their dock lines, or take care to coil them up and keep them out of the walkway.
Having said that, you need to be prepared to be asked to leave the marina due to YOUR being perceived as being a problem.
Best of luck in whatever you do, and please keep us advised regarding progress, or lack thereof . . . .
I know it's already been sorted but.....

Going all "Perry Mason" is a last resort kind of thing. Only to be considered when other more reasonable options have been addressed.

If the other owner isn't responsive, a friendly chat with the marina manager would be my next step. They be paying a premium to operate a commercial operation out of the slip and taking an antagonistic approach could backfire and encourage them to not renew your lease.

It would only be as a last ditch effort when you are ready to leave the marina that I would consider an aggressive legal letter.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 22:53   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

And a note. Here in Oz, when people need more cleats on the dock, they often just go buy them and install them. Instant center of finger is then possible. Don't sweat the small stuff, guys. Galvanized cleats will do. Don't make things harder than they need to be.

Ann
Old 06-12-2021, 01:59   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
And the lines lying all over the dock
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 21:16   #27

I got a note tonight saying it's been moved, not sure if that was moved to port side or just pushed closer to the boat?

Yeah, I get what you're all saying about not causing trouble with the marina. I never have before, I pay the owners of the dock without ever complaining.

There's some loophole for this specific business since they're kind of time share boats & not charters. There's a brokerage that keeps their boats docked there too. It's a really nice/safe marina, so I guess if I have to trip over a dock step if she just pushed it closer, so be it. I can't say anything more about it to the marina.

Otherwise, no, we can't airB&B or charter out our boats (per marina rules). I don't even have a live aboard boat close by.

It's just a bummer, this could have easily been resolved right away if she hadn't taken a hard line on it from the gate.

I live down an easement too, nobody gets the easement when they first move in & park me in the first couple of weeks.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:39   #28
TPG

Boat: Admiral 40

I've had issues like this before, had to take it up with the marina on occasion. Usually, it's a safety hazard item and could cause liability issues, this usually gets quick attention and resolution from the dockmaster/marina management. I hate legal speak but that's what it seems to get people to act.
TPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:43   #29

Quote:
Hi,

I'm not sure how to deal with as the business owner is not getting back to me. I've had my boat @ the same dock for 5 years, no problem. A time share type of boat is now on the dock next to me & the owner of the business put a big ass step right in front of mine & they leave the lines on the dock when they go out.
I asked if they could dock port, or move the step closer, and she hasn't gotten back to me (this has been going on a few months). She did tell me I needed to switch to a starboard docking & I needed to switch the way I dock to be more like her charters.
When this boat goes out, they bring 50 of their best friends (OK, exaggerating here) & when we come in at the same time we're tripping all over each other. If I come in 1st, I have to deal with the mondo step & their lines all over the dock (I don't leave lines on the dock).
Yes, I could dock on the Starboard side & share the finger with the other side. The other option is me moving docks since she won't budge.
Should I just give in and move slips? I feel like she wins & I'm VERY upset over it. Any suggestions?
If it’s not your personally owned slip and you rent it from her, then she will win every time. You don’t want to start an argument to where she tells you to take your business elsewhere. I would just move
tfay412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:19   #30

She moved it, the two time share type boats now share the same finger & the steps overlap each other on that side too.
They don't own my particular dock, it's owned by someone else & I just have the payment put right into his account check free. They don't own their docks either, not sure who they rent from?
It's a visible safety hazard, that's what I told her and I'm sure it's super clear now. I would have taken a pic, but the company name is on the steps & I don't really want to reveal that. I'm so relieved!! I dock really slow, people can just step off on the steps. Still, you walked right into the other one in front & if I solo dock and did one miss-step it would get ugly.

Tags
dock