Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2020, 10:49   #1

Should I be concerned?

I’m attaching a picture of a universal m25 diesel 1988. There seems to be oil all over this one section of the motor near alternator/ exhaust manifold area. What could this be from? I’m looking to buy the boat and don’t know how long it’s been like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	738488A6-8120-49E6-B488-AF3780E772F0.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	206663  
Dpmmvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 04:42   #2

Boat: J Simpson 44' Steel Ketch
Re: Should I be concerned?

It's sloppy but maybe not especially urgent or concerning if it's running well.

Can you rule out something spilled or sprayed by PO? It's difficult to see in the photo - just looks wet - so are you certain that it's oil and not fuel or something else - like some kind of belt dressing they may have hosed it down with? Is it FWC? I'd be a lot more worried about coolant getting out than oil.

You'll probably need to wipe it down then run it to really figure it out. Westerbeke is great about their manuals - all online. Here's the M-25 page. I've rebuilt one, there isn't a whole lot to them. I don't remember what side the dipstick is on, but it could be something really silly like the dipstick not being seated properly and squirting when pressure comes up.

https://www.westerbeke.com/Category/...BF7A5#techdocs
dnbchrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 04:56   #3

Boat: J Simpson 44' Steel Ketch

Oops just found your other thread after replying here. Have you had any luck?
dnbchrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 05:06   #4
Marine Service Provider

Even the most experienced diesel mechanics would likely be hard pressed to tell you a whole lot from this photo, but you are looking at a 30 year old engine in a sailboat. It could be very minor or it could be indicative of a significant problem, but gain--it is a 30 year old diesel in a sailboat--AND The rigging and sails and the deck are probably way more important than this fairly small engine. My guess is this is a boat on the 30-36 foot range? And what is the asking price? And are you getting a hull survey? And if you really like the boat and like the asking price, then hire an engine surveyor and get an oil analysis. But at least wipe off the engine, start it from cold, listen, look, run it up, check it out and see if the leak shows up. But again--it is a 30 year old engine and it is bound to have some issues but it could still last for many years and unless it is catastrophic, it would be better to invest in rigging, sails and other upgrades and just do the basics on the engine. I would venture a guess that the seller and you have no ideas as to whether the boat was ever re-rigged. If there a maintenance log? Do the belts and hoses look ok? What is the general condition of the rest of the boat. And please keep us informed--we want to help but all we have is a photo--you have the entire boat to inspect. If you are worried, do you wish to trust the capriciousness and whims of strangers in cyber space (no matter how well meaning or informed...) or do you want to trust a professional who will actually see the engine???
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote