Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2021, 07:41   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Should I stay or should I go now?

If you Google Lasivian, you will find in at least the first 4 hits, an individual that seems to parallel this character on here. Except the fact he does not own a home but rents a room in a house. It kind of came together for me what is going on with this thread.
....Good grief!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:46   #17

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
I have read your first post twice now and do not see any mention of your sailing experience? Not that it matters as plenty of my customers have little or no experience before buying a boat. The secret for the most ignorant is to have a delivery skipper hold your hands for a few weeks then start with baby steps......not that it matters much as I have sailed with circumnavigators who I would not lend my yacht.
You need to dial the attitude back a notch. People on here are just trying to help. I certainly can tell you about plenty of people who have realised what a huge mistake they have made diving into the cruising life. The quickest realisation one customer couple I know made was in 7-10 days and they put their yacht back on the market. They fast realized whatever fantasy they had dreamed was not their reality. To put it bluntly Lasivian plenty of boating can be boring, challenging and down right uncomfortable. We all have our limits and I know mine have been tested more than a few times while afloat.
Cheers
Probably good advice,
But.

I would imagine far more people in their late years wish they had gone ahead and made the plunge rather than waiting and and doing nothing. So what if they find out too late that their "dream" is more of a nightmare. At least they tried! As far as sailing experience, I would say the average person with little experience once they move aboard can learn on their boat in a few months, sailing in not a hard skill to learn. Hell probably half the folks on this forum probably have just a rudimentary sailing skills, but will pick it up once they actually go sailing rather than motoring up and down the intracoastal.

As for the OP, my suggestion would be to stay and search on line, no matter where you move to you will most likely end up going someplace else to look at a boat. Good luck to you!

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:00   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post
So for those unaware i'm one of those nuts that is selling off everything and going to sail around the world. Current step? The house is nearly sold and i'm planning what the next step should look like.

The question is, do I stay in Spokane, WA and look for a boat online (Which likely means either flying to inspect a potential boat, since i'm not going to buy sight unseen), or go where boats are more likely to be found, (Which means trying to figure out where I am likely to find a boat I want).

Staying means I can continue my existing job, but work for me isn't a high priority, and i'm a high-demand kind of employee.

Perhaps moving someplace nearer to a major airport would be a good in-between choice.

My boat requirements:
  • Monohull
  • Capsize Ratio < 2
  • Comfort Ratio > 30
  • Headroom > 6'
  • Length => 40'
  • Structurally Sound

Most likely the east coast is my best bet, I suppose a foreign boat is not out of the question, but that would complicate my existing plans a ton.

I figured I would see what folks had to say.

Thanks
What's your sailing experience? I'm quoting your post so you can see you don't list it here given the snarky comment you made to someone else.

If crossing the Pacific this year is your goal, your sort of have to leave on that journey by April really.
sea2ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:36   #19

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2ocean View Post
What's your sailing experience? I'm quoting your post so you can see you don't list it here given the snarky comment you made to someone else.
It's all here

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-243339-4.html

[Provided as a public service to forum members asking about OP's experience]
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:10   #20

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
So for those unaware i'm one of those nuts that is selling off everything and going to sail around the world. Current step? The house is nearly sold and i'm planning what the next step should look like.

The question is, do I stay in Spokane, WA and look for a boat online (Which likely means either flying to inspect a potential boat, since i'm not going to buy sight unseen), or go where boats are more likely to be found, (Which means trying to figure out where I am likely to find a boat I want).

Staying means I can continue my existing job, but work for me isn't a high priority, and i'm a high-demand kind of employee.

Perhaps moving someplace nearer to a major airport would be a good in-between choice.

My boat requirements:
  • Monohull
  • Capsize Ratio < 2
  • Comfort Ratio > 30
  • Headroom > 6'
  • Length => 40'
  • Structurally Sound

Most likely the east coast is my best bet, I suppose a foreign boat is not out of the question, but that would complicate my existing plans a ton.

Thanks
While I'm pretty sure there are no boats worth mentioning in Spokane (as it's landlocked) there must be a ton of boats in the Seattle area and maybe after you look around a bit BC will reopen. Plenty of choices up there. Where you plan to start your odyssey might be the best place to look but don't blow half your budget on plane tickets and hotels.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:13   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I did read your post. Twice. And then a third time when another post mentioned the same. No mention except a recitation of somewhat dubious design ratios and that you live in Spokane. I guess that means your sailing resume is you have an Amazon account and read books on sailboat design but not sailboats themselves.

If the fire is burning so hot within you that your plan "either succeeds or you die," go to where the boats are. San Francisco, a long days' drive, is one of the world's premier sailing venues. If you can't find a suitable 40-ish footer there, find another book on sailboat design metrics. There's an active sailing scene there so you may even meet like minded people

Peter
I gleaned as much as you from the OP about experience.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:51   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

My boat requirements:
  • Monohull
  • Capsize Ratio < 2
  • Comfort Ratio > 30
  • Headroom > 6'
  • Length => 40'
  • Structurally Sound

Thanks
I would just go on yachtworld and shop for boats starting at the nearest to me. Why would you ask for advise before shopping?

BTW - I bet you are shopping for an old heavy boat
Old 08-03-2021, 10:53   #23

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

You could find a good selection on the west coast...or the east coast. But it's wise to spend some time sailing the design you're looking for before deciding. Keep an open mind. For the best selection and prices, the Med is by far the best place, given their charter fleets flood the market with used boats every October and prices plummet until spring when the new replacement arrives. Chartering one will give you hands on experience to compare your preferences. Where you plan to sail will impact your design choice greatly, as a Seattle good for sailboat is far different one for the tropics where wheelhouses are stifling. I started looking at last centuries boats until I charted one from this century, Night and day. Modern boats have more room, sail far better, heel less, less problems, leaks, etc. In mast furling? So easy! Huge cockpit, the list is endless. Keep an open mind.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:12   #24

You can do a lot of the work sifting on the internet to narrow down the choices. Then take some time out see the selected boats.
Andy744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:06   #25

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

We are going to sell our Downeaster 38 soon. Located in Bodega Bay California. I have done some upgrades to it. It might fit your needs. PM me if interested.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:20   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2ocean View Post

If crossing the Pacific this year is your goal, your sort of have to leave on that journey by April really.
The question posed in the first post of this thread has nothing to do with sailing. He simply wants to know if it is better to remain in Spokane or move closer to a market where he is likely to find many boats available for purchase.

Asking about his sailing experience is not relevant.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 13:22   #27

Lots of boats for sale in Seattle and Anacortes (including a Valiant 42 that may fit your bill), both within reach from Spokane. Why not starting from there for a while and go look at a few local boats? If that fails, then expand your horizon.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 14:07   #28

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
I'm sorry, I think you should read my post again.
No offense intended, but a lot of these sell it all and sail around the world posts are made by people who have never even been aboard a sail boat or have no to little experience.

I didnt notice anything in your post about sailing experience so I asked. On a second read, I still dont see anything. Is my reading comprehension really that bad?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 14:45   #29

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Ontario and Toronto area have a lot of fresh water boats and short sailing seasons . Boats are well prepped for harsh winters. Seen some nice boats over the years in that area. Then again, Canadians as a whole are difficult to deal with. Snicker.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 15:00   #30

Boat: Moody 40 CC

I would say what you want to figure out first is where you might want to sail. I'm in the process of doing something similar and have been checking out yachtworld for a few years to find a boat that meets mine and my wife's needs - damn near impossible. But in the process I have made many different plans of where we would sail based on where we would buy. We have sailing experience, but not bluewater - we want to head in the south pacific, but we want to sail for a year or two with smaller passages before we bite off something like that. So, planning the type of sailing you want to do and where might help figure out where you want to look for your boat. I'm also in Washington, and the west coast would be cool - sailing up to Alaska or down to Mexico would be in the plan, but after that you have to decide to commit to the big dream or head through the canal and into the Caribbean. Beating back from Mexico to Seattle doesn't appear to be as easy as working up and down the east coast. Spending a year or so in the Med was also considered, but then you have to make the commit to take on the Atlantic. In the end we are looking at something in the Caribbean to we can build our confidence and skills before going through the canal and pointing the bow west.

Best of luck
JohnEvans is offline   Reply With Quote