Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2021, 17:51   #31

Re: Should I stay or should I go now?

Amen to that. Drop the attitude. You're at the cruisers site.
PanamaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 18:49   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post
So for those unaware i'm one of those nuts that is selling off everything and going to sail around the world. Current step? The house is nearly sold and i'm planning what the next step should look like.

The question is, do I stay in Spokane, WA and look for a boat online (Which likely means either flying to inspect a potential boat, since i'm not going to buy sight unseen), or go where boats are more likely to be found, (Which means trying to figure out where I am likely to find a boat I want).

Staying means I can continue my existing job, but work for me isn't a high priority, and i'm a high-demand kind of employee.

Perhaps moving someplace nearer to a major airport would be a good in-between choice.

My boat requirements:
  • Monohull
  • Capsize Ratio < 2
  • Comfort Ratio > 30
  • Headroom > 6'
  • Length => 40'
  • Structurally Sound

Most likely the east coast is my best bet, I suppose a foreign boat is not out of the question, but that would complicate my existing plans a ton.

I figured I would see what folks had to say.

Thanks
I wouldn’t read too much into the capsize ratio. It’s far from the be all.

https://www.worldcruising.com/content/S637123693895465510/ARC2019_Results_Cruising_ByClass_vFIN.pdf

There’s plenty of regular boats on that list and the other ARC lists that don’t have ideal capsize ratios but people happily cruise around the world on them. You’d have to screw up pretty bad to capsize a mono. Do you plan to hit a lot of hurricane type situations without reefing?

Lots of boats in Seattle. Get a broker to show you some. You can also easily fly to Long Beach to check out boats there. Boat shows are good as well but fewer used boats around.

Nail down your list. Find something you like, get a survey and go from there. Someone who surveys boats professionally is the peeps on who you need there more in person.

Good luck!
sea2ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 03:55   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
No offense intended, but a lot of these sell it all and sail around the world posts are made by people who have never even been aboard a sail boat or have no to little experience.

I didnt notice anything in your post about sailing experience so I asked. On a second read, I still dont see anything. Is my reading comprehension really that bad?
I will simplify the question for you because your reading comprehension does seem to be that bad. Where should he live?
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 04:02   #34

Boat: Antigua 44

This is a troll.
Talk Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:57   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Story View Post
This is a troll.
Maybe just a dreamer at this point?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:02   #36

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Because you don't bother to find out things such as for me there will be no "buying back". I'm "breaking up with America", and have no plans to ever return. It will work or I die, one or the other.
Breaking up fully? Like renouncing citizenship?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:07   #37

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
I will simplify the question for you because your reading comprehension does seem to be that bad. Where should he live?
He is talking about heading off sailing...experience is releavant. Seems a few other folks here think so too.

But more directly to the question as you interpret it. I think he is better off to narrow down the search and then go physically see the boats. I dont think relocating to a boat market is a big advantage since the boat you find may not be in that market.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:27   #38

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Breaking up fully? Like renouncing citizenship?
Sounds like he wants to make a political statement.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:17   #39

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Sounds like he wants to make a political statement.
Ya...like we haven’t had enough of that, these last years. Look, this is nothing more than just a guy living in a bedroom with nothing to do but get attention to feed his disfunctionality
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:16   #40

Quote:
He is talking about heading off sailing...experience is releavant. Seems a few other folks here think so too.

But more directly to the question as you interpret it. I think he is better off to narrow down the search and then go physically see the boats. I dont think relocating to a boat market is a big advantage since the boat you find may not be in that market.
How does experience relate to where he lives? What would you suggest to him if his sailing experience were limited to playing with plastic sailboats in his bath tub versus having sailed around the world a few times?
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 13:02   #41

Boat: Bateau FS17

Quote:
Because you don't bother to find out things such as for me there will be no "buying back". I'm "breaking up with America", and have no plans to ever return. It will work or I die, one or the other.
Found it!!!???
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 19:09   #42

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Friendly suggestion....head to Annapolis. There are a LOT of sailboats there.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:45   #43

Boat: Irwin MK III 43ft

Those nuts like you say might be smarter than you.

1- buying in other countries means that most likely the boat is geared for long term sailing. water maker, solar panels, wind generator, good electronics etc...

2-Even if your house is paid for, you are still paying municipal and state tax, school tax, water tax, you pay for heat, power etc.... Yes you ight rent it, but what if it needs repair, who does it, tenants stop paying the rent, $20,000 of damage when they leave, okay you hire a management firm, they will take 50%. the list goes on.

3- Depending where your boat is, you might be able to live on less than $2,000 a month including maintenance if you are smart.

4-Constantly worrying about the condition of your house, the cost of traveling back and for versus not having to worry about anything at all.

the list goes on and on. but the most important point, is you do what feels right for you, not what other NUTS like you call them do. You might call Me nut for what I do, but I might call you a moron for what you do.
Riggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:50   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Prout, Quasar, 50'

US East coast has plenty of boats that would fit your requirements... especially Florida, as it has 5,500+miles of coastline. If you plop yourself in the middle of the Atlantic side, you’ll be able to get to just about any port within reasonable driving time. One thing you didn’t mention is draft. If you plan to spend any time in the Bahamas, which are fantastic, you’ll need a shallow draft boat or be limited as to where you can go. Gunkholing, one of the best parts of cruising, will probably not be possible in many places
Old 12-03-2021, 07:42   #45

If you can't find the boat you want in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale & Tampa/St.Petersburg area it probably does not exist. Just kidding about the last part, but this is the stopping off point, for both northbound and southbound cruisers and also the final destination for many. And by chance if a boat of interest is in the MD or NE area you are a short plane ride away.
oceanluvr is offline   Reply With Quote