Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2021, 08:01   #46

Boat: Sundeer 64' ketch
Re: Should I stay or should I go now?

Consider that you’re in a high latitude for the US and boats in your neck of the woods are generally fitted out for cold wet weather. Pilot houses and wheelhouses. They are also usually insulated if they have been used there. These are huge advantages no matter where you are - not to mention security.
My humble Rex is for you to visit the Marina’s and charter something you think you’d like to own.
AN expert is someone who’s screwed up more than the next guy.
Nibiruwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:55   #47

Boat: Hunter 430
Send a message via Skype™ to Briggers

Since you plan to sail the world - an admiral ambition BTW - does it really matter where you start?
At the moment, there are a glut of boats to suite your requirements in Europe and the UK and since Europe might make up a large portion of your voyage, it might be wise to look at a UK registered boat - widely accepted over much of the world and only 25GBP to register.
Fortunately you can search for your dream boat from the comfort of your home but the location in Europe can make a big difference to the purchase price, Scandinavia, Germany and Italy can be expensive, whereas, West coats of Portugal, Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro and Turkey will give you some real bargains.
It’s unlikely you will find a sail-away boat, it’s more likely you will find a boat you like and then will either want to add stuff, like a water maker and take stuff off. This can all be done while you are living on board and getting to know her.
My boat is moored in Croatia and I am normally on board from 1 April-30 September. If this is what you end up doing, you will be more than welcome to come on board and stay for a bit.
My guess is that if you do come to Croatia, it will be a while before you leave.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:27   #48

Boat: Catalina 470

I call bull-shirt on this post. This isn't an original idea, the YouTube folks are creating a bunch of people talking about this. I don't post much, but this showed up in my email for some reason and I wasted my time reading most of it so now I'll post. The fella never mentioned their experience that I saw, yet got offended when people asked. Also no mention of what they expect to spend on the boat they want people to help with. That's a pretty big piece of info that is missing.
glanrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:31   #49

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

He's NEVER going sailing.... just let it be.
pma_foyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:14   #50

Boat: Maxi87 29' sailboat

Just another scammer...
Please don't waste more of your precious time on this thread.
carstendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 15:59   #51

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Well, he has not posted in 3 1/2 days. So everyone here are the only ones keeping it going. He does post under the same handle throughout other forums and media.

Maybe he will get some money and buy a boat. One thing I do know is you cannot buy sailing experience or mechanical experience. They will need those two for sure.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 02:24   #52

Are you kidding, make the necessary arrangements and head south. I've been in Fla. for
30 years and there are some OK deals, but the real deals are in Texas. Between the hurricanes and snow storms people are unloading everything. CASH IS KING. Start in Kemah, then head to Rockport and the surrounding area, you'll save 10's of thousands. Extended stay hotels are cheap enough and you pay by the week. Once you find a boat, head to Florida if it needs work. You'll like Bimini Basin in Cape Coral, protected anchorage, dinghy dock, grocery store, West Marine, and pubic library. Let me know if you need help moving the boat. Kemo
captivacapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 12:14   #53

Boat: Simpson 40 Catamaran

For anyone that might be reading this in relation to their own personal aspirations to sell off their ties on land and go sailing, the question of how much sailing experience other people posted is not at all condescending.. Like all things in life, oftentimes you don't know what you don't know until you know. Having personally done lake sailing since childhood honestly did very little to prepare me to make an educated decision on the long list of subtle details I would want to ensure were met (or would feel were important enough to retrofit post purchase..) in a desirable cruising sailboat for me. And that last aspect of "for me" would guide not just the what boat was best but the where that type of boat would likely be located.
Best pre-purchase investment possible after an arm-chair decision of the types of boats a person might want is to crew or charter on a few of the leading sailboat candidates for a week or two...
Old 14-03-2021, 14:32   #54

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post
So for those unaware i'm one of those nuts that is selling off everything and going to sail around the world. Current step? The house is nearly sold and i'm planning what the next step should look like.

The question is, do I stay in Spokane, WA and look for a boat online (Which likely means either flying to inspect a potential boat, since i'm not going to buy sight unseen), or go where boats are more likely to be found, (Which means trying to figure out where I am likely to find a boat I want).

Staying means I can continue my existing job, but work for me isn't a high priority, and i'm a high-demand kind of employee.

Perhaps moving someplace nearer to a major airport would be a good in-between choice.

My boat requirements:
  • Monohull
  • Capsize Ratio < 2
  • Comfort Ratio > 30
  • Headroom > 6'
  • Length => 40'
  • Structurally Sound

Most likely the east coast is my best bet, I suppose a foreign boat is not out of the question, but that would complicate my existing plans a ton.

I figured I would see what folks had to say.

Thanks
I guess finding a boat a good start would be researching the market via the internet.
If you find a suitable boat you will have to go and have a good look yourself, no way round.
Buying a yacht overseas obviously complicates things regards facilities, visas, permits and time restraints, travel cost, import duties and so on.
Jiggling a high demand job with the time it takes looking for a hobby might be hard.
Marinas are full with boat owner who have one foot in either camp with the boat going nowhere.
BTW comford ratio is a sales myth..
Good luck
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 18:04   #55

Boat: 1987 Pearson 39-2

I read through OP's thread from last year, which included a link to the same topic and OP from 2010. OP has a dream, and in over a decade has made no effort to learn anything about this dream, so it remains just that.

Since OP wants to run away, I suggest they run away now to someplace coastal with a sailing culture in case they ever decide to pursue this dream. Baja Mexico comes to mind. Lots of people think they want to be cruisers, but then don't want to cross the Pacific or bash back north, either one. That leaves some reasonable deals on boats at times.
SeaStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 17:29   #56

Location: House in Evergreen, CO; boat in Bremerton, Washington
Boat: Morris 44 Ocean Series

This thread has been a great diversion for me.
Not a spy is offline   Reply With Quote