Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2020, 11:32   #1

Single Handed Chartering

I am looking for advice and direction on where I might find a charter of a boat outfitted for single-handed sailing in the US, Mexico, or Caribbean. My new mode: COVID cruising.
TWCrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 11:36   #2

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Single Handed Chartering

OP probably the best, first option would be to contact charterers in your preferred locations.

I can't imagine the number of charter firms that there might be in the US, Mexico and the Caribbean, but there will be thousands. And they will all have their own standards and preferences as to the requirements for chartering.

So send a few emails directly.
Old 23-12-2020, 11:55   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I suspect few if any will support single handed chartering
Old 23-12-2020, 12:22   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I suspect few if any will support single handed chartering
Precisely! They will be unable to insure the vessel with a singlehander as sole crew.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:51   #5

Boat: GEMINI Legacy 35x loa37' x 14'

I have been looking pretty thoroughly for a single handed charter from south or west Florida. No joy.

Dreamyacht literature seemed to imply they would do it but in the end, no.

Sailing Florida seemed to have some wiggle room and asked me to call and discuss. I really didn't want St Pete so I didn't follow up.

Please let me know if you find something.
Curtwpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:36   #6

Anything more than a pontoon boat is highly unlikely. They have no clue what your real capabilities are and it's going to be a boat that you are unfamiliar with.

Are you really looking to go out cruising by yourself? If you show up with a wife and two teenage kids but expect to do everything yourself, they could qualify at least officially as extra hands even if they offer zero help managing the boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 19:53   #7

Odd responses, single handing sailing is not illegal. and can be insured.
I have chartered or rented a small sailing vessel from a charter company and gone sailing by myself.
Locally, boats were small Cal 20 or Catalina 22 I took them out for the day and went sailing by myself. With the full knowledge of the chartered company. Nothing hidden.

I never asked them to charter a 30 ft boat by myself, I did move a couple for them. By myself. I was an instructor for their sailing school. They expected me to be able to sail one of their school boats by myself.

I routinely chartered 30 to 35 foot boats with just my girlfriend and myself. She was not experienced, I might as well been single handed.

Going to sleep and not keeping a look out is illegal. Nobody actually cares but would probably be a show stopper for a charter company.

Chartering a small boat with the intention of doing short day sails is not illegal. Convincing the charter company you have the ability to do so might be more difficult.
The boats won’t be specifically set up to single hand.

So call around, ask about chartering a small boat. In an area you can sail from A to B within a day’s sailing.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 20:33   #8

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post

I routinely chartered 30 to 35 foot boats with just my girlfriend and myself. She was not experienced, I might as well been single handed.
Ah, but she could operate a VHS should, God forbid, misfortune befall you.

Which is better, liability-wise, than 15,000 pounds of wood, GRP, stainless steel, and lead careening who knows where into who knows what for who knows how long because the sailor is incapacitated or overboard and no one's there to call for help...
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
I never asked them to charter a 30 ft boat by myself, I did move a couple for them. By myself. I was an instructor for their sailing school. They expected me to be able to sail one of their school boats by myself.

Going to sleep and not keeping a look out is illegal. Nobody actually cares but would probably be a show stopper for a charter company.
Sounds like they had a much better idea of your capability compared to a random guy off the street if you were one of their instructors.

The difference between single hand and having crew of even modest ability is huge...again particularly if the charter company has no idea who you are or what your abilities are.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:21   #10

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Ah, but she could operate a VHS should, God forbid, misfortune befall you.
Does anyone still have those? Isn't everything on BluRay or streaming now?

Or are you just talking about stopping it flashing 12:00 all the time?

flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, single