Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2019, 05:18   #16

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Smoke in engine compartment

Be careful running the engine dry. The rubber in the water pump">raw water pump is at risk of being destroyed without water to lubricate and cool it.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:07   #17

Boat: Watkins 29

Are the chainplates and knees repairable? As i ubderstand the knees are actually the internal bulkheads in the cabin and could be a bear repair.

Offer $4000 see where it goes!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:18   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpmmvc View Post
I am looking at a 1989 Catalina 30 to buy. It has a universal m25. It’s been on the hard for 2years. I started it on land for the first time in awhile and jogged down to the engine to take a look. This was a dry start and no water was used. I planned to shut the motor off before it got hot. I immediately saw smoke in the engine compartment . The motor had only been on for 20 seconds at this point. I was alarmed and shut the motor off within 2minutes of starting it. Engine never got hot and I’m at a loss to what would cause this smoke. It wasn’t a lot of smoke just a little foggy and it smelled similar to exhaust. Thoughts?
I'd bet you smoked a pump impeller. Even if that isn't what caused visible smoke.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:15   #19

Quote:
After reading all of this I dont think it’s such a steal anymore, but $11,000 was what we agreed on. It needs new chainplates and halyards. The bottom is in need of soda blast and bottom paint. Other then these things the boat looks new . 1989 Catalina 30 mkii wing keel. My knowledge (as you can tell) is very little on motors. I really appreciate all these replies. I think I will pass on this boat.
If it needs the above fixes PLUS rebedding the keel stub it is not a steal. You will end up with a $20-25K boat at beast. Plus all your ancillary expenses.

Without the keel stub issue it would still end up costing you another $5-6K to fix the other stuff. Which is expected from 30 yr old boats in that price range.

In October at my winter storage yard the yard had hauled in for parts sale and hull disposal a nice mid 80s Sabre 34 which the boat owner disposed of (at no small cost to himself) because it needed all new chainplates and possibly new rigging which his yard/rigger estimated to cost at least $10K, possibly more. And that was a Sabre 34 not a Catalina 30. And it still did not make economic sense for the boat owner to fix it. So when offering $11K for someone else's problem think about that situation.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'd bet you smoked a pump impeller. Even if that isn't what caused visible smoke.
I'm surprised people dry start engines when all one needs is to bring a 1 gallon jug or two of water to the boat and a screwdriver/small wrench for freeing the intake hose from the thruhull. At most it will be two (hopefully two) ss clamps and a little umph to free the hose and you're in business.

I also lug with me a 12v battery to start the engine as most boats not used for years will have a dead battery or two on board.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 13:06   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
I'm surprised people dry start engines when all one needs is to bring a 1 gallon jug or two of water to the boat and a screwdriver/small wrench for freeing the intake hose from the thruhull. At most it will be two (hopefully two) ss clamps and a little umph to free the hose and you're in business.

I also lug with me a 12v battery to start the engine as most boats not used for years will have a dead battery or two on board.
The impeller was probably dry rot anyway if the boat set up for 2 years. The problem know is bits of rubber in the heat exchanger and engine water galleries. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 13:26   #22
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
After reading all of this I dont think it’s such a steal anymore, but $11,000 was what we agreed on. It needs new chainplates and halyards. The bottom is in need of soda blast and bottom paint. Other then these things the boat looks new . 1989 Catalina 30 mkii wing keel. My knowledge (as you can tell) is very little on motors. I really appreciate all these replies. I think I will pass on this boat.
Probably a good idea!!

Going on what you have posted and the pictures of the engine, I suspect there has been a reasonable amount of deferred maintenance in other systems on board, not just the engine. Might be wrong but I'd be looking hard before parting with the cash!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, men