Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2020, 18:16   #16

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft
Re: So I had an interesting thought. Night vision wireless cameras in the bilge.

An interesting and novel idea coming from somebody with obviously an open mind. And any novel idea should not be immediately jumped on in a negative way.

Personally we have a steel hull and no thru hulls so have never given it a thought.

Jim sv Gaia
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 18:26   #17
cruiser

Re: So I had an interesting thought. Night vision wireless cameras in the bilge.

I think every time someone clicks the Amazon link the guy gets a commission.
That’s how it works nowadays.
DomPerignon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 00:57   #18

I cannot answer specifically on a bilge, but on my current 32' cabin cruiser, I installed a camera in the engine bay/bilge and then used the waterproof LED strip lights around the perimeter. The led strips are self-adhesive, and then I used clear silicone caulk about every 8~10 in a strip to make sure it holds up. I then got a video wire and a power wire ran them up to an area where the stereo is and put a 7" video monitor. When I flip a switch, the lights and the camera turn on. I turn on the monitor and I can easily monitor that area with just a glance at the screen. When powering underway, it is such a peace of mind to just look at the monitor and check out the engines and bilge. As an added bonus, the lights have made it so I do not need flashlights anymore to work in my engine bay, even at night. For everything, maybe took 3~4 hours, and the cost breakdown, was $24, for 2 rolls of led strips, $18 for the camera, $10 for the power and video cable, the switch was $4, and the monitor ~$60. My goal is to run 4 cameras with a switcher, one in each corner.
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, camera