Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2020, 11:07   #1

So I had an interesting thought. Night vision wireless cameras in the bilge.

So watching sailing videos I always see a mad scramble to tear up the floor and rip tons of junk out of the bilge when they either hit something, or the bilge water alarm goes off.

But what about putting a few small wireless night vision cameras in the bilge?

Something like this, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QKXM2D3/ is only $30 each, very lightweight, has good night vision, and needs only USB power (500mA at 5V)

You could easily glance at the cameras and be able to see where the issue is and how bad it is before running around tearing everything apart.

Also you could take a glance anytime just to have peace of mind.

Am I nuts to consider this for some unknown reason, or has nobody else thought of it yet?

Thanks
Lasivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 13:40   #2

Re: So I had an interesting thought. Night vision wireless cameras in the bilge.

my experience with those kinds of things is that it takes time to find the app...launch the app...wait for connection....

then sometimes there's some sort of connection failure.... try again....

and then it seems like it would be mostly a needless battery drain.

and I'd wonder how well they'd hold up in a corrosive marine environment....

(I have a doorbell camera on my home. I generally don't use it to see who's at the door...takes too long)
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 14:05   #3

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: So I had an interesting thought. Night vision wireless cameras in the bilge.

I don't know about your but if I go aground I'm not going to trust what I see on a camera in a dark compartment. I'm going to get in there with good light and my own eyeballs to really see what is going on.

Plus, how many cameras would you propose to put in? One to look at the apex of the bow, one at the turn of the bilge to the keel, one on the rudder post, one on the prop shaft tube, four more on the other hull of my cat, etc.... There's lots of ways things can go wrong.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 14:27   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post
So watching sailing videos I always see a mad scramble to tear up the floor and rip tons of junk out of the bilge when they either hit something, or the bilge water alarm goes off.

Something like this, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QKXM2D3/ is only $30 each, very lightweight, has good night vision, and needs only USB power (500mA at 5V)

You could easily glance at the cameras and be able to see where the issue is and how bad it is before running around tearing everything apart.

Am I nuts to consider this for some unknown reason, or has nobody else thought of it yet?

Thanks
I think that a far better idea is to keep the cabin sole and bilge areas clean and clear of clutter.

Further I think that lifting a portion of the cabin sole to look in the bilge should not be a "mad tear". It should be a quick and easy process, normally done on a frequent basis.

Leave the gadgets home and practice good seamanship which includes a tidy vessel and frequent inspections, particularly of the bilge.
Old 20-11-2020, 14:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I think that a far better idea is to keep the cabin sole and bilge areas clean and clear of clutter.
Yeah, i'm sure that will happen. Right after I ride to meet a mermaid on my unicorn!
Lasivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 19:19   #6

Boat: Grampian 26

In my opinion you just can't replace a hand, ear or a mark I eyeball with technology. I'd trust myself to save myself and not rely on technology. And I'd agree with those who state the loss of time using that in an emergency when it hits the fan isn't my cup of tea. But I'm a solo sailor so I have to be doubly cautious, paranoid and safe.
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 08:50   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

Further I think that lifting a portion of the cabin sole to look in the bilge should not be a "mad tear". It should be a quick and easy process, normally done on a frequent basis.

Leave the gadgets home and practice good seamanship which includes a tidy vessel and frequent inspections, particularly of the bilge.
100%. All through hulls especially should be easily visible and accessible. Basic safety and seamanship.

I also have a large, color diagram that shows all through hulls including the ones close to the waterline that would be submerged when the vessel is heeled. Kept in the front of a bright red, emergency folder I keep at the nav station and show to all crew members.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 10:17   #8

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
In my opinion you just can't replace a hand, ear or a mark I eyeball with technology. I'd trust myself to save myself and not rely on technology. And I'd agree with those who state the loss of time using that in an emergency when it hits the fan isn't my cup of tea. But I'm a solo sailor so I have to be doubly cautious, paranoid and safe.

+1 I like technology but I like to absolutely know, the boat is not going down.
Best wishes
Old 21-11-2020, 12:51   #9

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

If you’re dead set on this then get a dedicated wired camera and monitor setup and leave it on ready to go
Old 21-11-2020, 13:06   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

How much time and effort are you willing to keep a bunch of cheap cameras functioning?

If your bilge is clear enough to see anything useful with a camera, why would you have a mad scramble to pull anything out to see into it?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 13:26   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

that would be a boring video. My bilge has collected nothing but dust for 60 years.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 15:03   #12

Grist to the mill.
It may well be useful to place the small lens apparatus in places that you just simply can't get at or see into. Maybe put the camera on the end of a stick as well.
I have tanks under the sole and I get P..d off whenever I want to have a look under these tanks. Very difficult.

I think the suggestion has considerable merit. The ultimate use value probably depends on the boat design and the owners "care" program.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 15:36   #13

Boat: Fusion 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post

Thanks
Great idea.
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 16:37   #14

I think you would have better luck with a set of solid state capacitive sensors. Lower power (battery power for years), longer reliability, and they could push information to your receiver right away.
jack4566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 16:42   #15

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
that would be a boring video. My bilge has collected nothing but dust for 60 years.
I hope you at least change your bilge liners frequently.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, camera