Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2020, 19:18   #166

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: So.... You want to cruise on a sailboat

Quote:
I have no illusion that sailing the world will be a walk in the park, I know it will suck 90% of the time but it will be my time living life on my terms.
FWIW, IME you have those percentages reversed more or less. There have been some crappy times but the good ones FAR outweigh those evil hours.

I think your chances of success as a cruiser will be improved with a bit of optimism. When the glass reaches half full, top it up with another bit of rum...

Jim
Old 03-12-2020, 05:32   #167
CLOD

Boat: none

Why would anyone consider doing something long term they expect the suck ratio to be 90%

Given a cruiser may do a short passage/hop that they expect to be be sucky 90%. That is a short term thing and gets done because they it to be a better thing in the big picture.

But that is just my opinion.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:38   #168

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@Andrea,

One's plans are always changed by circumstances, but it won't matter too much. There is huge freedom in the simplifications to life that a cruising lifestyle brings. Yes, there are still responsibilities, things you must do, or feel you must (like getting out of the cyclone zone in season, or finding mangrove creeks you can fit up into to weather them), and dealing with routine maintenance. But the times at sea, at least for me, have been wonderful, just the two of us responsible for ourselves, and accepting the weather and motion. It's not always inner harmony, but often, and for me, at least, a sort of joy at the pre-dawn light.

None of us, ashore or on the water knows for sure what will happen for us on any particular day. We have expectations, which may or may not be met.

I agree with Jim, I think you'll find the pleasure to pain ratio is quite different from what you wrote that you would accept.

Ann
Old 03-12-2020, 13:16   #169

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@Andrea,
and for me, at least, a sort of joy at the pre-dawn light.
Ann
Nailed it!

We are still very "green" at this, so we still make our crossings/passages with the inevitable fear and stress that we take into them and have at moments throughout each one...

but that moment right there - when you watch the magical glow start to arise on the black horizon... that makes up for the 10% (though I'm still not sure the number is even that high) on even the worst day.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 13:59   #170

Boat: Outremer 55L

One thing that has been new for me with passages on our boat, as I was never the skipper in my previous offshore racing and cruising history, is the sense of responsibility for the safety of the boat and crew.

After our first passage with our boat between New Zealand and Fiji, I realised as we entered the reef pass and made our way towards Vuda Pt for clearing in, that the constant state of anxiety that I had felt for the previous 5 days had just gone away. I have felt that same sense of anxiety, in the background and just perceptible, on every other passage that we’ve done.

Have other skippers felt this?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 14:04   #171

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
One thing that has been new for me with passages on our boat, as I was never the skipper in my previous offshore racing and cruising history, is the sense of responsibility for the safety of the boat and crew.
Yes, I think it's way different when the final responsibility ultimately rests on your shoulders, and your shoulders alone.

I don't think that slight feeling of anxiety ever entirely goes away, and that's probably a good thing, as hopefully it's helping towards remaining sharp and attentive regarding any of the possible issues that can occur.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 14:21   #172

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:

After our first passage with our boat between New Zealand and Fiji, I realised as we entered the reef pass and made our way towards Vuda Pt for clearing in, that the constant state of anxiety that I had felt for the previous 5 days had just gone away. I have felt that same sense of anxiety, in the background and just perceptible, on every other passage that we’ve done.

funny you should say this. due to covid, we've been coped up in port for the last 6 months...just river trips. finally left to bring the boat to meet family for christmas and found myself extremely nervous. something i've never felt before, including in extreme weather

what is even more weird is that just 2 days prior i delivered a boat (paying job) over the same route. boat verged on unseaworthy yet i did not have a moments anxiety

but on my own boat (home), with my wife (aka the owner), i felt quite nervous...maybe getting old but i think after 6 months in port just a bit out of practice at taking the responsibility

fortunately this feeling seemed to have eased on the second leg so no self-medication necessary

cheers,
Old 03-12-2020, 14:26   #173

You could cruise on that budget.
If
You are fluent in boat
You actually like the lifestyle and arnt trying to make a floating ikea condo
Etc.
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:11   #174
CLOD

Boat: none

The truth for those of us still only a few years from living up in the world of winter snow.

I sure is fun to sit around in your shorts and tee shirt when it is in the 60s in the Florida Keys and watch the locals freeze
Old 08-12-2020, 09:37   #175
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:

Of course. We all do ( well except the psychopaths)
Old 07-02-2021, 20:15   #176

Boat: Perry 43 (syndicate yacht)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
And so?!!?
Well, after a couple of false starts, (Work, kids, parents, changing boats.... oh and covid) we finally got away... AND LOVED IT.

Did a Thursday to Sunday trip. Come Sunday morning, we were absoultely not ready to come home.

We learnt loads about what we will want when we purchase our full ownership boat, rather than the syndicate boat. Even though it is early days, there were plenty of inwards smiles when Wife #1 made comments like "When we have our boat ...... "

It's probably fair to say that all of the big points I was pretty much convinced I was correct on, turned out to be wrong. lol. So a syndicate boat will be a great, inexensive-ish way to really cement what is important to us VS not so much.

eg, I was 100% sure I wanted a galley down setup. It was evident in about 5 mins that was not going to suit us.

Anyway, it was brilliant, a couple of nice flat water day sails in 15kts was very low stress. Beautiful sunsets and some nice port.

Doing it again next week.

Cheers
Jeff
Tsalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 22:14   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsalta View Post
Well, after a couple of false starts, (Work, kids, parents, changing boats.... oh and covid) we finally got away... AND LOVED IT.

Did a Thursday to Sunday trip. Come Sunday morning, we were absoultely not ready to come home.

We learnt loads about what we will want when we purchase our full ownership boat, rather than the syndicate boat. Even though it is early days, there were plenty of inwards smiles when Wife #1 made comments like "When we have our boat ...... "

It's probably fair to say that all of the big points I was pretty much convinced I was correct on, turned out to be wrong. lol. So a syndicate boat will be a great, inexensive-ish way to really cement what is important to us VS not so much.

eg, I was 100% sure I wanted a galley down setup. It was evident in about 5 mins that was not going to suit us.

Anyway, it was brilliant, a couple of nice flat water day sails in 15kts was very low stress. Beautiful sunsets and some nice port.

Doing it again next week.

Cheers

Jeff

Sounds absolutely great that you’re enjoying yourselves and considering your current situation as a stepping stone. And getting actual experiences that you can apply to your lists and realising that not all you thought before is still important.

Our original project list for our boat, compiled during the prepurchase inspections of our soon to be our boat, has been pretty much tossed out. Of the 40 or so items only about 5 were or are still to be done and the rest binned as we gained lived experience of our boat.

And when you say ‘enjoyed some nice port’, do you mean port the wine, or port the harbour or anchorage? Either way, sunsets with nice port or in a nice harbour are a great combination. Lounging areas both forward and aft are key to enjoying sunsets, regardless of which way the boat is lying or the wind blowing.
Old 08-02-2021, 13:38   #178

Hi Fxykty,

I meant Port of the drinking kind. On the last night we anchored late in the day in a really busy waterway. There were a gazillion Jetski's tearing past on their way home from wherever. Then by 6pm it was dead calm and quite and we were the only people left on the planet.

What else to do but crack out the Port and dance on the tramps at midnight.

Was worth every penny.

Cheers
Jeff
Old 08-02-2021, 16:27   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsalta View Post
Hi Fxykty,

I meant Port of the drinking kind. On the last night we anchored late in the day in a really busy waterway. There were a gazillion Jetski's tearing past on their way home from wherever. Then by 6pm it was dead calm and quite and we were the only people left on the planet.

What else to do but crack out the Port and dance on the tramps at midnight.

Was worth every penny.

Cheers
Jeff

Well, we will take a jug of Prosecco and Aperol, or sometimes a bottle of still Shiraz, to our trampolines, plus a couple of lounging cushions so our back sides don’t get grid-marked, and lay back and watch the sunset and emergence of the stars. Dancing not so much, but occasionally some romance (depending on temperature and proximity to other boats).

The quiet time at the end of a weekend makes it worthwhile getting to work late the next day.

Sounds like you’re doing great.
Old 08-02-2021, 17:32   #180

Yep, is truly magical.

I was quite proud of myself. The anchor windlass up switch failed on the second morning. After pulling the swith apart and clearning it all up, it was back in problem free operation. I felt quite chuffed.

I can't wait to get back out there on Sunday. Now I'm just cross at myself for not doing this MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH sooner.

Cheers
Jeff

Tags
boat, cruise, sail, sailboat