Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2019, 20:10   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Social scale question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Mine is not finding any socks in the laundry.
What are "socks"? Are you talking about that thing that swallows the spinnaker? Why would you wash that in the laundry?

(I shamefacedly admit that I wore some wool socks in my sandals the other day when it was 10 deg in the cabin when we arose, but it isn't common behavior for me!)

Jim
Old 30-03-2019, 20:49   #32

The only real question is whether or not you give a s**t what other people think.

I'm a professional homebuilder. I've built over 200 of them, from plans to turn-over. I've owned 4 myself.

The last thing I want to own is a house. I live in a small 18' RV, and am looking forward to living on a boat instead; an average 36-40' monohull is almost twice as big as my current space, and costs several orders of magnitude more money. Until then, I'll continue to split my time between my turtle house, and living in a tent from the back of my motorcycle.
LaughingWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 21:16   #33
cruiser

Laughing with you.
I wasn't paid monetary to service last 20+ years and I was denied transfer from army trucks to navy diving before then because the plates that rebuilt my face structure would likely implode at 30metres.
I spent a year living in the back of a 1 tonne Ford Falcon XF ute, upgraded to a bus, sold that, now with a van. In a house but likely to get up and go. Built properly, solar generates electricity, a big shed that'd fit a 30 foot trailer, water tanks still in expansion mode yet should remove need of mains and a couple of bee hives living in the kitchen wall. It was the cheapest suburban house I could find, house ok, lifestyle can accept letting my friend pay to use house while I go a boat.
Mortgage sucks but it is same as rent and choice to stay mine.
I have know idea of future; future. Simple too brother.

I wouldn't mind a washing machine on a yacht though.. Hmm. Useful. Guessing agms and washing when storage high.

I like wool. Warm when wet without wind.
Boatsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 21:23   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

When I first lived aboard, I worked at a golf course. When people asked what I did, I would say I split my time between my yacht and the country club!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 22:02   #35
cruiser

Funny thing is both my eyes have vertical stigmatism . They see movement clear yet definition of static structure isn't the best.
I'd applied to be allowed to use the air force jets but was denied due to eye sight testing. I'd have thought they sailed faster than our boats.. They test at zero movement.

Loving, laughing, lazing about. Walrus is heaps fat why would he hunt 5 day/nights solid?

Farewell.
Old 30-03-2019, 23:58   #36
cruiser

Ironic, irony.

Army taught me to drive trucks.
Air force refused me because I have crap eyesight yet I sail and I have twin eye vertical (or horizontal) stigmatism.
Navy refused me because my face is damaged and I wouldn't survive deep dives yet I survived between 500kg-a tonne when about 5mm edge hit and rested upon my head. Knocked out; remained on stance.
Nowadays I drive trucks with 1 of Australias largest food transport companies. (In case we war).
Ironic hey.

Please protect earth. Farther wind. Earth is our common life support system. I walked away from engineering. If I told you a simple how, you could destroy everyone.
Easier to protect earth and enjoy something I'll never learn. How 2 sail. Easy I guess. We rarely dead run, it's that dangerous.
Old 31-03-2019, 00:09   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
What are "socks"? Are you talking about that thing that swallows the spinnaker? Why would you wash that in the laundry?
Nah, they're the things you slip over the red wine bottles to stop them rattling around.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 02:01   #38
Marine Service Provider

length times 2 plus beam equals that much of PRIME ocean front real estate!!!!!!!!! Let them chew on THAT!!!
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 02:35   #39

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
My favourite measure of "Success" is

The ability to choose for yourself, how you spend your time, and who you spend it with.
A person in prison may think he is successful using the above criteria
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 04:27   #40

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

(I shamefacedly admit that I wore some wool socks in my sandals the other day when it was 10 deg in the cabin when we arose, but it isn't common behavior for me!)

Jim
I'm a fanatical boat keeper.

I will actually have a pair of foot socks in the wash next laundry day.

I was invited out to dinner last night to a place with a dress code. I dread having to wear shoes these days so I went out and bought a pair of black foot socks to wear with my black sandals. Felling very pleased with myself as I breezed past the door man without his noticing I was not wearing shoes. Aged cunning beats young order Yay.

There are exceptions to every rule and I am not going to regret this pair of foot socks next laundry day.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 04:46   #41

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

We get confused.
Yesterday we were accused of being rich for living on a luxury yacht (their words) even though she cost a fraction of the price of the accusers home and 1/20th of the price of a 3 bedroom waterfront property in our area.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 05:04   #42

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Mine is not finding any socks in the laundry.

Same day as above I wore socks (mismatched colours and length) shoes that make strange noises as I walk as the sole is falling off and sort of attached with sikaflex (first time wearing shoes and socks in 4 years) and a royal purple hibiscus Hawaiian shirt (the most sombre colour shirt aboard)

Felt a bit conspicuous amongst the suits as it was a funeral for my Grandmother but she would have been good with it even if some family members weren't.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 05:05   #43

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
A person in prison may think he is successful using the above criteria
Well that makes sense since some equate being stuck on a boat like being in a prison …… with the chance of drowning
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 05:12   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
What jurisdiction accommodates that designation?

Florida, although my “address” on my license is the USCG registration number, not the name of the boat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 05:14   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I have been living aboard full time for nearly 8 years and it is pretty clear that in the minds of many landlubbers I am considered boat trash. I have noted that if you don't have a land house it doesn't matter how big or nice or how much it cost, the attitude of these people is the same. Now I have created some confusion in my own mind. Due to an increase in maintenance required as I have worn the boat I have purchased a landside home to live in while I do maintenance on the boat. The home is on a canal and has a dock for the boat. The issue is that the home is actually a manufactured home better known as a house trailer (though double wide). Many landsiders consider people who live in manufactured homes trailer trash. So the question I put to you is now that I am going to be boat trash half the year and trailer trash the other half, have I moved myself up or down the social scale?

Hypophora.
Gruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal