Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 10:56   #1

Some guidance for a beginner

First of all thank you for creating and adding to this forum! I am new to the world of sailing. I'm actually still biding a little more time while my youngest finishes high school, but my thoughts are starting to turn from my landlocked state to creating a life of sailing and discovery. Maybe a few of you can indulge me with a few basic questions:?

1. What boat? I'm thinking a single hull sailboat around 40-45' so that I can be comfortable and host friends and family on occasion. That said, I'm intrigued by the possibility of a catamaran (not only for comfort, but what I perceive to be ease and safety.) HOWEVER, I wonder what the limitations are of a catamaran? Are they actually easier to sale? I don't mind that they are more money. it seems there is some substantial value there. What are the advantages of single hull v. catamaran?

2. Location. I'm thinking about starting out with 6 months-1 year in the Caribbean. I don't want to get in "over my head" figuratively or literally and so I'm hoping for somewhere warm and fun where I can get some good experience sort of cherry picking (at least at first) what days I'm sailing and building my comfort and skills as I go. Thoughts on that?

3. Are there any boatmakers any of you love and think I should focus my search on?

I appreciate any and all guidance and thoughts!!!
cruisinyogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:15   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Some guidance for a beginner

1. Books. Read up on how-to, theory, adventures, and for the sake of reading itself. A few posts on the internet will never tell the full story. Books.

2. Start small. I will never understand why everyone does not start with a sailing dinghy. They are not undignified--they sail them in the Olympics! They will teach you more about the wind, waves, and the balance of forces in 5 days than years of weekend sailing on a 40-foot barge will. Sail Delmarva: The Merits of Learning to Sail on a Small Boat Heck, you don't even know if you like sailing. If a dinghy is too small, consider any of hundreds of good small day sailors. You will spend < 5% of your final investment, will get it back, and learn lots.

3. Start sailing NOW! In fact, some of the best times have been family sailing. If you aren't interested in starting now, question whether you are really interested, or whether you have simply bought into the fantasy.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:23   #3

Thank you thinwater! I have done some dinghy sailing and did enjoy it. I understand what you are saying about fantasy and such and so I know you are right about entering slowly, with wisdom.

Assuming these things are in place, which in my case I believe they are, do you have any thoughts on my questions?
cruisinyogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

There are several discussion threads comparing monohulls and catamarans, which you can find using the search feature. Here is an example:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ard-14714.html

It will be hard for someone else to tell you what kind of boat will be best for you. Spending time on other people's boats will help. Doing a lot of reading, as thinwater said, will also help you narrow down the choices.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinyogi View Post
Assuming these things are in place, which in my case I believe they are, do you have any thoughts on my questions?
It's a big and diverse market, and people's preferences and budgets vary widely. You haven't given enough info to even begin to answer.

Walk the docks. Go on as many different boats as you can - friends, chartering, etc. Attend one of the cruising sailing schools in the Caribbean. You'll start to build your own short-list.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 13:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Yogi.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 13:59   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Suggest you start with the very basics ...
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
Old 01-12-2019, 14:27   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Cruisinyogi and welcome to the forum.

I'm pretty sure none of the members on the forum were born expert sailors. We all had to start somewhere and seems like you have a reasonable plan started.

Some comments below.

Quote:
First of all thank you for creating and adding to this forum! I am new to the world of sailing. I'm actually still biding a little more time while my youngest finishes high school, but my thoughts are starting to turn from my landlocked state to creating a life of sailing and discovery. Maybe a few of you can indulge me with a few basic questions:?

Ask all you like. No extra charge.

1. What boat? I'm thinking a single hull sailboat around 40-45' so that I can be comfortable and host friends and family on occasion. That said, I'm intrigued by the possibility of a catamaran (not only for comfort, but what I perceive to be ease and safety.) HOWEVER, I wonder what the limitations are of a catamaran? Are they actually easier to sale? I don't mind that they are more money. it seems there is some substantial value there. What are the advantages of single hull v. catamaran?

As already pointed out, this has been a frequent topic of discussion on this and other forums. Use the search feature on the menu and plan to spend a few hours reading the various opinions. However I will say here, there's no such thing as a free lunch. Everything on a boat is a compromise. Any advantage you get in one area you give up something in another. That applies very much to cat vs monohulls.

2. Location. I'm thinking about starting out with 6 months-1 year in the Caribbean. I don't want to get in "over my head" figuratively or literally and so I'm hoping for somewhere warm and fun where I can get some good experience sort of cherry picking (at least at first) what days I'm sailing and building my comfort and skills as I go. Thoughts on that?

Caribbean is a big place but in general a good place to start.
Bahamas are also very nice and a bit close to the US.

3. Are there any boatmakers any of you love and think I should focus my search on?

Only a few dozen. That question is far, far too open ended.
To get a reasonable answer you need to narrow it down a bit. Budget, cat vs mono, performance, room, draft, etc, etc, etc

skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 14:37   #9

Boat: Volkscruiser

Cruising Yogi, you might want to pick up the phone and ring a few boatyards and marinas and ask the slipping and hauling costs for a 45 foot cat or a 45 foot mono. I see you don’t mind that cats are more money, but how much “more” money can be frightening when you ad up the cost of owning two hulls and two engines.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 15:26   #10

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

I recommend you either start with a small boat (up to 22ft) or crew with someone else's boat.

Where do you currently live?

Thx-Ace
Old 01-12-2019, 15:52   #11

Unless you're already living on one of the coasts or around the Great Lakes I'd start with moving to an area with robust sailing scene. Then join a local sailing club which offers some learning curve classes. Even if you are advanced sailor there is always room for improvemeblnt. Once you're comfortable with sailing something bigger than a dinghy on your own it's time to start looking for your own boat. A few seasons sailing club boats of various sizes and makes will give an idea which direction to go toward. The rest is easy as there is a glut of decent used boats which would fit a descritiption of a good first boat. Just keep in mind that all boats are a compromise and don't let the best be an enemy of the good or the better be an enemy of good enough. The first boat is like a first car for a teen - you shouldn't be learning with a new MB but neither do you want a beat up Yugo or a Pinto for your first car either, even for free.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:22   #12

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Is seasickness an issue for you or your partner / family? I have never had seasickness, so I never thought much about it until I started inviting people on my boat. Everyone says, "No I don't get seasick", but in my experience, 75% do. Something to consider

I have a monohull cutter, but I have sailed catamarans. My preference is for the monohull, because it can sail closer to the wind, I like traditional boats, and it's more fun to sail. My wife's preference is for the cat, because it is more stable and offers more creature comforts. I compromised by doing a partial ownership in a Moorings cat with friends, but I'm keeping my monohull.

Sail as many boats as you can to get experience - and I mean sail them, don't visit them at the dock - local sailing clubs are a great resource. As others have noted, the cost and availability of slips for cats is an issue, depending on location. As someone else mentioned, read as much as possible about sailing and boats. And good luck!
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:10   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
Is seasickness an issue for you or your partner / family? I have never had seasickness, so I never thought much about it until I started inviting people on my boat. Everyone says, "No I don't get seasick", but in my experience, 75% do. Something to consider
Seasickness is weird stuff. We had made half a dozen round trips between Toronto and Bahamas in our trawler, Neither my wife nor I had ever been seasick. We made two one day trips on a sailing cat and my wife got violently sick both times ..... completely different motion.
Old 02-12-2019, 14:00   #14
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:

You have opened the floodgates asking for the advantages and disadvantages of monohulls vs. catamarans. Whatever you are told please due your own research as you will be the captain and both your safety and comfort for all aboard your responsibility.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote