Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2021, 17:18   #16

Re: Spectra 150 clark pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Hmmm.

I think mine is called a Newport or something like that. Not a 150 actually.

It has a Zbrane set of electronics, lots of various buttons for backflush and other modes of operation, a TDS meter integrated to switch to tanks when product water is good, etc. it’s complex. And old. And looks very prone to failure due to age of electronics.

I’d like to do as this thread says I think, rather than try to get it all running with the electronics.
Understood.

Having seen the more complex systems, the electronics are a great time saver when all is working but quite frankly, I never really saw the point. When on an extended cruise, time is not a concern.

When not cruising, I'm fortunate that the Marina is about ten minutes from the house so the manual flush is just another of the regular jobs.
SYCavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 17:58   #17

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertevans View Post
Hello Jorden thanks for replying and putting my mind at ease.
Are you using spectra pressure vestals for you membrane or normal ones?
Are you using hydraulic hoses or stainless ones as spectra use?
thank you in advance
and thanks to every on who replyed for there help/input
Regards Rob

My very old Spectra 380 uses some kind of strong black plastic tubing from the Clark pump to the membrane vessel. Getting the right connection here, if you don't use Spectra parts, may be you biggest challenge. This tubing is quite stiff but can be bent in a radius of about 1 foot. This system was sold before they started making them with electronics.

For the first stage pump to the Clark pump and any other runs you can use standard plastic water hoses and hose clamps.

Get some diagrams of the plumbing for the older systems that were all manual. In my system there are four 3-way valves to allow servicing, including membrane cleaning with the chemicals.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:20   #18

I took the electronics off our Spectra 200T. Just not reliable. Converted to manual, I did keep the Z-ion unit. Added a second pressure gauge, upstream of the prefilters, so I know pressure drop across them. And an hours meter. All now works great!
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:30   #19

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by briblack View Post
I took the electronics off our Spectra 200T. Just not reliable. Converted to manual, I did keep the Z-ion unit. Added a second pressure gauge, upstream of the prefilters, so I know pressure drop across them. And an hours meter. All now works great!
Thank you for this post. I may have a question or two when it comes time to run mine without electronics
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:04   #20

I Understand that the spectra Clark pumps suffer from cracks if stainless steel fittings are used on the end caps, but stainless is ok everywhere else, spectra fix this by using bronze fittings that corrode and this corrosion debris can cause problems with scoring cylinders and jamming things up.
If I had stainless end caps made would this mean I could use stainless fittings everywhere and get rid of all associated problems?

Hope someone has the knowledge to advise me
thanks in advance
Regards Rob
robertevans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump