Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2020, 18:56   #1

St Pete to Jax

I just bought a 28 ODay in St Pete, Florida. What is the best way to get to Jax. The Calloosehatchee River to Lake O to St Lucie canal to Intracoastal or south to marathon and up east coast to Jax.

Thanks in advance

Brian
Chiroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 19:04   #2

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia
Re: St Pete to Jax

For a vacation go via the Keys. For a delivery with a schedule, go thru Lake Okeechobbee,,,,,either way if you have AC do it now,,,,,,,if not wait til November
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 19:31   #3

Is it possible to sail going through the state
Chiroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 04:23   #4

Boat: Spindrift 43

Your follow up question suggests that you may not know of this route, so forgive me if you already do. Head south to Cape Coral, then hang a left. You’ll be running a little inland waterway that spits you out in Stuart.

You should be good with an Oday 28, just double check your mast height as there are a couple low bridges along the way.

If you take this route, I highly recommend an overnight stay at the marina in La Belle. It’s a really cool piece of Old Florida. It’s probably the quietest marina I’ve ever been to. I woke up in the morning to 3 gators floating just off my stern, apparently hoping I’d toss my bacon scraps to them.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 04:40   #5

The run from Ft Myers to the lake will take more than one day.

No problem the locks all close at night so anchoring in the river is fine.

La Belle is a delight , free wi fi from the local library , and free water and 15a of electric also free.

You are better off with a friend for locks as you hold the boat with two ropes to the lock top as the gates provide the water direction.

East of the lake the only non opening bridge is 44 ft .

Always !!! check with the Army if all the locks are functioning , so you are not stopped in the middle for weeks.

Cross the lake, the rim route is very shallow and slow.

Enjoy
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 05:13   #6

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAST FRED View Post

East of the lake the only non opening bridge is 44 ft .

Unless something has radically changed, the controlling height east of the lake is the Port Mayaca RR bridge, at 49'.
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:21   #7

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Opposite View Post
Unless something has radically changed, the controlling height east of the lake is the Port Mayaca RR bridge, at 49'.
What he said is correct. At least it was in Jan.2020.
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:55   #8

Boat: Freedom 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Opposite View Post

Still true. And the bad news i heard was the guy that did the “tilting” maneuver is no longer there. 😟

Back to the PO > have it TRUCKED home. Or at least to the St Johns so you are closer to home if something fails. Around via the Keys is no place for a shakedown cruise if you don’t know the area.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 09:04   #9

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I assume you are not pressed for time. Going south and crossing the Keys is longer but cooler, less buggy and hassel free. I would avoid the locks if single handing. Going north I would ride the stream and overnight offshore in 20-30; of water until you need a fuel/provisions stop. Past Ft. Lauderdale the ICW is nice motoring and not too many bridges so consider that route as well.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 11:00   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
.........…
.................... If you take this route, I highly recommend an overnight stay at the marina in La Belle. It’s a really cool piece of Old Florida. It’s probably the quietest marina I’ve ever been to. I woke up in the morning to 3 gators floating just off my stern, apparently hoping I’d toss my bacon scraps to them.
I like this advice from Creedence,- 'and there's a bit of new Florida too with the invasive iguanas sunning on the docks.

Please help us in Florida by not tossing any food to the gators. I am not assuming Credence fed his bacon scraps to the gators, but this is not a good idea. It's very important that we don't condition our alligators to associate people with food. This is just as unwise as taking the tourists in the Bahamas out to feed the sharks. Alligator attacks upon humans have increased where people have been feeding the gators.

There's little option for sailing with the Okeechobee Waterway route, but it is a much shorter and very easy choice.
Old 28-08-2020, 11:54   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

also on the way up from Stuart there are great marinas along the way. I like Telemar Bay at Indian Harbor Beach and the city marina at New Smyrna if going inside. Vero Beach is awesome along with Camachee Cove in st. Augustine. the tides play a big part in your journey as you get closer to Jacksonville.
Old 28-08-2020, 12:54   #12

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
Your follow up question suggests that you may not know of this route, so forgive me if you already do. Head south to Cape Coral, then hang a left. You’ll be running a little inland waterway that spits you out in Stuart.

You should be good with an Oday 28, just double check your mast height as there are a couple low bridges along the way.

If you take this route, I highly recommend an overnight stay at the marina in La Belle. It’s a really cool piece of Old Florida. It’s probably the quietest marina I’ve ever been to. I woke up in the morning to 3 gators floating just off my stern, apparently hoping I’d toss my bacon scraps to them.
They will settle for slices of bread. It’s amusing watching them swim parallel to food floating in the water and eat it with a side motion of their head.

Watch from the boat if they are longer than 10’. Also refrain from swimming until after meal time.
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 14:28   #13

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ama View Post
They will settle for slices of bread. It’s amusing watching them swim parallel to food floating in the water and eat it with a side motion of their head.

Watch from the boat if they are longer than 10’. Also refrain from swimming until after meal time.
How cute. I wouldn't worry about what time you go swimming because if they become a real nuisance after learning to associate humans with food, then the Fish and Game will send someone out to kill them.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 14:31   #14

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I like this advice from Creedence,- 'and there's a bit of new Florida too with the invasive iguanas sunning on the docks.

Please help us in Florida by not tossing any food to the gators. I am not assuming Credence fed his bacon scraps to the gators, but this is not a good idea. It's very important that we don't condition our alligators to associate people with food. This is just as unwise as taking the tourists in the Bahamas out to feed the sharks. Alligator attacks upon humans have increased where people have been feeding the gators.

There's little option for sailing with the Okeechobee Waterway route, but it is a much shorter and very easy choice.

Good catch, I should have added that caveat! No gators were fed nor harmed in the making of that memory!! I’m not in the habit of giving away my bacon when I have it- no matter how cool the animal.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 15:06   #15

Boat: Catalina 36

Easy; Just brought an O'day 30 over there on that route.
Day 1; St Pete to the Venice Inlet. They may be dredging the inlet. Stay on the ICW as you are on a shake down cruise (you may need help from a marina). Have Sea Tow or Boat US. Towing. with an unknown boat. Have some shade as the sun will be at your back. Beach towel ?
If you are going soon and can make use of the daylight saving time, make the Boca Grande Pass and stay at Cayo Costa State Park. Excellent anchorage.
Day #2; Take the ICW to Ft. Myers and the entrance of the Caloosahatchee wateway (River). Fuel here in Ft. Myers at the City Marina.
Day #3 Ft. Myers to Roland-Martin Marina in Clewiston (Numerous locks and bridges on the way Ch 13)
Day #4 Clewiston cross the lake to Stuart . (GPS required as lake is not well marked)
Then up the inside or out side as per your choice to Jax.
It's a nice five day trip. Bring a friend. Check the Waterway guide or Army Corp. to understand what time the locks stop operating. If you anchor in the waterway, make sure you are well lighted, there is barge traffic in the early morning. (Ask me how I know ?)
Question;
Why don't you tell the previous owner, you would like he boat delivered to Ft. Myers. That way you would find out that it is in running order for the rest your trip. At least you know that it made it from St. Pete to Ft. Myers.
Catboat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote