Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2011, 19:11   #1

Stocked in Port Moresby

Hey everybody

I just have a few seconds so I write down my problem here and hope for helping answers...

I travelled over land without planes form Switzerland to PNG.
People told me, Port moresby is a good place to ask sailors to go with them. But there are almost no boats here (all 2 month 1...)
I have to make heavy decisions now, so I have different questions:

1. Are there many boats going north (Alotau, Madang, Vanimo) ? Ore more boats going to Port moresby?

2. Are there still boats going from Bali in direction west in october? How long does it takes to go to Europa from Bali?

Thx for your efforts.

Greets
p.s. Infos at : cymytrip - cymytrip.ch.vu
Habakuk12321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 23:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
I no longer call Port Moresby my home...

Are you actually in Port Moresby or are you trying to get there?

Its not known for being "visitor" friendly. Do a web search if you don't know what I mean.

There are very few cruising yachts that visit PNG and those that do would be hard to contact.

There used to be lakatois that traveled along the coast but these seem to have all been sucked into postage stamps. There should be modern equivalents but I'm not sure that they take foreigners, and even if they did it may be most unwise to travel that way.

PNG has a very high mountain range as its "backbone" so travel has been by air. If you won't go by air you've chosen the worst country in the world to travel.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 00:24   #3

Boat: Able 50
Re: Stocked in Port Moresby

Hardly anyone goes to PNG because it is a very dangerous place. Ask anyone there to tell you about about the raskols.

Your best two places to be for picking up a ride are Cairns and Darwin. You can fly to both from Port Moresby.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 05:47   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

NO cruiser goes to Pt Moresby.

One of the things about doing trips where you don't ever travel by plane is that you blindly wander into extreme danger.

If you are in Moresby now then get the hell out.

Quote:
Raskol gangs rule world's worst city

High levels of rape, robbery and murder help keep Port Moresby, the capital of Papua New Guinea, at the wrong end of the hardship table

In Lagos, expect chaos. There are gun battles in Bogotá. Crime has been a curse in Karachi. But there is nowhere on earth quite like this.

According to a survey by the Economist Intelligence Unit, the capital of Papua New Guinea has beaten all-comers - again - to take a title that no city on earth would covet.
With poverty, crime, poor healthcare and a rampant gang culture, Port Moresby consistently scores highest in the unit's "hardship" table, meaning it is regarded as the worst place to live among 130 world capitals. Baghdad is not on the list.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 06:41   #5

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

If you are in Moresby check out the yacht club. Might also check the shipping companies some freighters have cabins & a friend of mine & his wife had an interesting trip on a freighter but found the country not as it was when we were there !! Life is not valued as we would value it. Be very careful. A sailor was killed just a few weeks back. He was living on his boat in front of the yacht club. Air travel is the normal roadway.
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 07:15   #6

Boat: Able 50

This looks like the story.

British expat John Hulse, 62, murdered in Papua New Guinea | Mail Online
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 00:48   #7

Location: New Zealand originally, but now Malaysia & Thailand
Boat: Kendall 32, Daemon

We cruised in PNG a couple of years ago, not near Port Moresby but in New Britain and New Ireland. We had no problems at all, made lots of local friends and had a very good time. For onward travel, there are usually a few yachts (about half a dozen in 2009) in Kavieng, New Ireland around Christmas, waiting to leave for Palau/Micronesia in January.

Darwin may be a better bet, but bear in mind the cyclone season will be starting in a couple of months, and this will affect the number of berths available.

How long to Europe from Bali? Good question. Now the Red Sea is pretty much out of bounds, cruisers here in Malaysia & Thailand are either planning to ship their yachts, sell them, stay cruising here or go around South Africa. The timing for the latter is to leave here January to April, depending on your route. If you are looking to head to Europe, it may be a better plan to go to Darwin and look for people heading across to Africa from there, but that won't be until after May because of cyclones. Then there is still the Capetown to Europe part to sort out.
Old 13-09-2011, 17:49   #8

Thx.

In the time of writing this message, I'm already again in Indonesia.

About Papua
I had perhaps the biggest adventure of my live. True. But you must make a huge difference between the cities and the rest of the country. Its hell and heaven. Don't stay in the cities: they are the hell partof it.

My way
It was not always easy. Specially cos I'm hithhiker, alone and with a small budget. If there are no streets you need to find dinggies or so. Or from the mountains to the southcoast I walked one week in the bush.
I did never use planes in this two month PNG. Its not yet updatet, but in some days you gonna find report on cymytrip - cymytrip.ch.vu
Freigter are difficult to organise and the normal faire is about 120 dollars a DAY!!

Sailors
I found some in Alotau and Moresby. But the problem was the ROYAL sailing yacht club. I heard a lot of people were dissappointed, so am I. They said more or less: piss off and didn't have one minute to listen to me. Later I found out, there where yachts in the marina, but they just directely lied to me: causing me another 3 month trip to go back to Bali to find a sailor....I don't give up my idea of travelling without plane cos of some unable **** __: SAD PEOPLE?

Thx to Yachtdaemon: These are the information I need: So you think If I arrive in Bali, there are not gonna be any yachts to the west? (Ohshit)
Thx for your time and answers.
Habakuk12321 is offline   Reply With Quote