Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2024, 07:27   #16

Boat: Beneteau 361
Re: Suggestions on South Florida Towns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Melbourne area especially barrier island Satellite Beach , Indialantic an Indian Harbour Beach.
Only problem is nearest inlets are at Canaveral and Ft Pierce
I live in Indian Harbour Beach and am a member of Port Canaveral Yacht Club. If you have any questions about sailing in Brevard County area, I can share my perspective. Always up to meet sailors in the area.
twofingerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 07:52   #17

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
If it wasn't for your limit of St. Petersburg being the northern boundary I might have suggested the Melbourne to Cape Canaveral area. I used to frequent that area and knew a bunch of people from the Melbourne Yacht Club. They have an active racing contingent as well as cruisers. For sailing a 5-6 ft draft vessel in the Indian river and not have to stay in the ICW channel you are going to want to be south of the 520 causeway in Cocoa and north of marker 21 south of Palm Bay. Beyond those boundaries you are pretty much limited to the ICW channel. At Port Canaveral you are limited to the ocean or a 10 mile motor through the locks and canal to reach sailing grounds in the Indian river. Except for a small area north of the 528 causeway, the Banana river is too shallow. It also has 34ft fixed bridges. I do admit to not knowing what the Port Canaveral yacht club racing scene is but once having spent a month on the hard at the yard next door I never saw any racing activity.
I am very familiar with the Titusville area. The City Marina at Titusville is probably one of the nicest and least expensive ones on the East Coast of Florida. There is a DYI boatyard right next-door.
Deb downside is tourism during a space launch, and you will find the same problem at Port Canaveral.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 08-04-2024, 08:19   #18

Boat: Beneteau 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
If it wasn't for your limit of St. Petersburg being the northern boundary I might have suggested the Melbourne to Cape Canaveral area. I used to frequent that area and knew a bunch of people from the Melbourne Yacht Club. They have an active racing contingent as well as cruisers. For sailing a 5-6 ft draft vessel in the Indian river and not have to stay in the ICW channel you are going to want to be south of the 520 causeway in Cocoa and north of marker 21 south of Palm Bay. Beyond those boundaries you are pretty much limited to the ICW channel. At Port Canaveral you are limited to the ocean or a 10 mile motor through the locks and canal to reach sailing grounds in the Indian river. Except for a small area north of the 528 causeway, the Banana river is too shallow. It also has 34ft fixed bridges. I do admit to not knowing what the Port Canaveral yacht club racing scene is but once having spent a month on the hard at the yard next door I never saw any racing activity.
Melbourne Yacht Club continues to have an active racing scene in the Indian River near Melbourne.

PCYC has all new docks but even with added slips is now wait listed. We have about a dozen liveaboard and mostly cruisers.

Agree that the Indian River (ICW) is quite limited for sailing except for very shallow draft and there are plenty of crab pots in the areas one might sail.
twofingerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 08:31   #19

Boat: Manta 42 Mk II

It doesn't fit all your requirements, but try Apollo Beach, home of Tampa Sailing Squadron.
WantTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 12:42   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 63MY

OPs are right, anything beachfront is crazy expensive, the marinas are full and chasing out old-timers to replace them with better-paying customers. Unless you're drowning in cash, look further north. Northeast coast is safer (hurricane wise) than the west although no place in Florida is actually "safe." Look at St. Augustine area. Palm Coast is a possibility but you'll be hours from an inlet, so sailing mostly in the river there.

I lived aboard in the marina in downtown Sanford (north edge of Orlando) for 15 years. Reasonable prices, 12-foot maintained channel to the marina, part of the St. Johns River. You're about two days sail from Jacksonville (and the ocean) but there were plenty of 35-45 foot sailboats there. Housing still expensive as Orlando has exploded along with every other metro area in the state. However, west of Sanford (Lake County) there are still areas that haven't (yet) been repriced to oblivion. Also, north of Sanford to Palatka. Palatka itself has a couple of small marinas, active races and it's only a day's sail to the ocean.

I sold my boat in Florida, bought another one in Curacao and took it through the Canal to the Pacific Coast of Panama. Much friendlier prices ...

Good luck!
themediadoctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida