Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2023, 17:47   #1

Boat: Rustler 36
Support for Sailing Family

Hello everyone, my name is Clive and I am brand new to this forum. A bit unfortunate that this is my first post but if possible please read on..

We are a family of 3, originally from South Africa but currently living in Auckland NZ on a Rustler 36. We just moved aboard at the start of October but I have personally been hit with a some really bad news. I have needed to start a gofundme, something I never thought I'd do. Not easy but when these situations hit desperate times call for measures. If you feel up to it even just a share of our story could help transform our lives. Please PM me for details. I am also happy to answer any questions. You can read our full story at GoFundme and search 'Support for Clive and his family'.

Many thanks
Clive
Old 07-11-2023, 18:18   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Support for Sailing Family

Clive let's make it easy and post the Blurb from your Go Fund Me Page here. Feel free to delete if you think I am out of line.
Hello everyone and thank you for making it to this page! I am Marysia, Clive's mother, and I have started this page to help my son and his family.

After a lifelong dream of going sailing it all hangs in the balance for Clive and his family. They are a family of four. Clive (35), Pastal (40), Isabella (1.5) and Jumanji their Jack Russell (9.5). Clive started working at the age of 15 as an electrician, and has worked very hard for the past 20years. 2 years ago they purchased a 1983 36ft sailing boat. This was with the intention to use the next couple years to fix her up and get her ready to live aboard and eventually go sailing around the world. However Clive’s body has failed on him. He has been diagnosed with multiple back problems (degenerative disk disease, 3 intervertebral disk herniations and 2 disk bulges) preventing him from finishing the boat. From being an avid sportsman doing jiujitsu, sailing and surfing he now has had to completely restructure his life and can no longer partake in sport. Earning money has become the biggest problem as he is now unable to move like he used to. After selling all of their belongings, they are now living aboard the boat. Clive had started a renovation of the vberth which is now not accessible and is taped up as he had to stop this midway due to excruciating pain and not being able to sit in certain positions anymore. So all three of them are now living and sleeping in the saloon (small lounge area) with the v-berth inaccessible. Please help them raise the money to rehabilitate Clives back and finish their boat. All donations no matter how small would be greatly appreciated and help them immensely. For those who are unable to help even if you could just share this story that would be so much appreciated. Many thanks
Old 07-11-2023, 18:26   #3

Boat: Volkscruiser

Clive not raining on your parade but are you a New Zealand citizen? If so you should be collecting a disability pension which should help with the fit out? A v-berth is fairly easy/quick to finish for a skilled tradie.
Just look at the NZ pension rates from April 2022.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A disibility.PNG
Views:	52
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	283156  
Old 07-11-2023, 18:26   #4

Boat: Rustler 36

Hi Fore and Aft, thank you so much! great idea for posing directly here. Someone else (my mom) started the Gofundme on our behalf and for some reason only included the berth in there. There is a lot more needed if we are to release our goal of getting the boat ready, I will try get that included on gofundme. And no I am not an NZ citizen. Thanks
Old 13-11-2023, 12:48   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thread Closed by OP's request.

Ann
JPA Cate

Tags
family, sail, sailing