Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2011, 05:18   #1

Taking a Dog Into the Bahamas

We're new to this so I hope I'm doing it right. We are wanting to take our boat to the Bahamas this winter - mainly Andros. I have tried to get information from their web page without success. I'm hoping someone might either have knowledge or could direct me.
Thanks in advance for anything!
Sam and Pam
wineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 05:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: taking a dog into the Bahamas

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sam and Pam.
Bahamas Pet Policy
http://www.bringfido.com/travel/international/bahamas/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 06:28   #3

Boat: Lagoon 37

Gord has provided good info, but the part about seeing a vet over there within 48 hours is a rule that is usually not required. I actually do not know of anyone who has done this
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 06:31   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Make sure you have tick medication as there have been bad illnesses and one death that I know of from ticks. Apparently only one type of tick medication works. Perhaps a dog owner can give you more info.
Old 29-08-2011, 06:39   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

It is a great link and much better than the older information put out by the Bahamas that was quite confusing about the "48 hour Vet" clause. This on is quite clear on the matter. And I agree with "JusDreaming" - once you clear-in and the official looks at the Animal Permit to see if you paid - nothing is ever said or expected as to actually taking the pet to a Vet in the Bahamas.
- - Skipping the part about visiting a Vet, I suspect, is the normal case for "transient" boats with animals onboard since they are short term and the animal remains on the boat for most of its time in the Bahamas. But for anybody actually moving to the Bahamas to live on land then the visit to the Vet would be the proper thing to do.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 06:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Make sure you have tick medication as there have been bad illnesses and one death that I know of from ticks. Apparently only one type of tick medication works. Perhaps a dog owner can give you more info.
the vet in Georgetown, (Dr. DeYoung), said the only/best tick treatment that worked was "Advantix"
Old 29-08-2011, 08:34   #7

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad
Re: Taking a Dog Into the Bahamas

the advice re: ticks should be taken VERY seriously...a friends dog nearly died after getting ticks at staniel cay and took alot of time and a "sheep dip" to rid the dog of these critters

i hope you will not be like a couple of boaters we saw last yr. in the bahamas: people who were too damn lazy to take their dogs to shore for a dump and a good run..it really pissed us off to see the poor dogs sit on the little boat all day while the fat-ass owners sat on deck and couldn't bother to put the dog in the dink (which was in the water) and go 100 yds to shore...
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 14:37   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

As to animal medications, I would suggest the product "Revolution" - (Selamectin) is about the best possible for your pets. I use it on my cats. It is a topical that goes between the shoulder blades and according to the literature is absorbed into the animal's blood stream where it kills all the bugs and bad stuff including heartworms and a dozen other parasites. Then it is excreted out of the animal through its skin pores and kills fleas, ticks, mange and another basketful of harmful things.
- - In the USA it is prescription only from a Vet, but you can buy it on the internet from other countries for a fraction of the price the Vet is going to charge you.
- - See: Revolution for Dogs and Cats - Flea and Heartworm Control - 1800PetMeds
- - Oh, don't forget that salt water kills feas, ticks, etc. The more time the dog spends swimming in the ocean the better. This is an old technique used by dog owners in the islands.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 20:17   #9

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

My sister and I have brought our dogs to the Bahamas with no problems. The customs officials looked at the Health Certificate, along with the permit, but there didn't seem to be any expectation that we would take the Certificate to a Bahamian vet. Request the permit EARLY to make sure you get it back before you depart. Happy traveling to you and your faithful one.
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 16:48   #10

Boat: FP Athena 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by defever View Post
the advice re: ticks should be taken VERY seriously...a friends dog nearly died after getting ticks at staniel cay and took alot of time and a "sheep dip" to rid the dog of these critters

i hope you will not be like a couple of boaters we saw last yr. in the bahamas: people who were too damn lazy to take their dogs to shore for a dump and a good run..it really pissed us off to see the poor dogs sit on the little boat all day while the fat-ass owners sat on deck and couldn't bother to put the dog in the dink (which was in the water) and go 100 yds to shore...
I could have been one of those lazy fat ass boaters you are talking about. I have dogs - 3 of them - and ALL of them hardley ever leave my boat when we in different countries. All of my dogs have been raised on my boat. They have NEVER lived on land. When we are out to sea for days they have to use the deck to "go" this to them is not a bad thing, it is all they know. My dog swim, and they swim till they are soo tired they can not swim anymore. Me being lazy or fat has nothing to do with why my dogs do not go to shore, I take my dogs to shore when I know it will be safe for them and anybody else around. I have 3 pretty happy dogs.
Cats Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 17:15   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Despite the name, Cat's Eye, (I rather hear from Dog's Eye) I must agree.....

As a breed of boat dog, myself and my ancestors have been leaving their product on the decks of boats for about three hundred years. This of course does not accumulate because my fat ass boat operators keep rinsing it off. There are plenty of dogs like myself and Cat's Eye's dogs that are well adapted to life on board.
Old 03-09-2011, 17:35   #12

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
I've been living on my boat with my dog for over a year, but finally anchored out a little over a month ago so she could learn to go on the boat. It took a while for her to get used to it, but she's fine now.

We swim every day and she loves it. About a week ago, we went on a friend's boat moored close to shore. We'd been sailing all day and just finished our swim when they came over to get us, so she hadn't had an opportunity to go yet.

Once we got on their boat, she started whining and really wanted to go ashore -- she hadn't been on land in over a month, but since her training was complete, and I realized she needed to go, my friend took us to shore and she promptly jumped out. However, she didn't quite make it to shore, which made pickup a little more difficult, but as soon as she was done, she had zero interest in going on land and spent the rest of the time swimming in the surf. So much for dogs, at least some, wanting to go run around on shore.

So, if you don't have a dog, or know anything about them or their owners, perhaps you should think twice before passing judgement on those who do. They might surprise you.

Actually, that goes for pretty much everything. Not sure what it is, but there sure seems to be a lot of judging going on these days. Why is that?
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 18:05   #13

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse

When we checked in at West End, my son's large dog was on deck and the customs officers saw him, but didn't ask for any papers at all and we didn't bring it up. They didn't have any trouble for the months that they were in the Bahamas with him.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:20   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv5l View Post
So, if you don't have a dog, or know anything about them or their owners, perhaps you should think twice before passing judgement on those who do. They might surprise you.

Actually, that goes for pretty much everything. Not sure what it is, but there sure seems to be a lot of judging going on these days. Why is that?
Our dog is 17 years old and she very seldom wants to go to shore with us. SOmetimes she does, but usually she is very happy to lay around the boat and watch the world go by. The trampoline is her front yard and she is happy with that. And yes a lot of people ask does she ever get off the boat, my response is yep if she wants to!! But if I was 119, (dog yrs.) I would be happy to lay around, eat, sleep, and get lots of lovin
Old 04-09-2011, 06:18   #15

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Pay the $10 expiditing fee to the Bahamian Gov for the form or it will take a very long time to get it. We bring our dog in without issue. She knows everyone in Hopetown personally.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas