Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2015, 09:10   #16

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.
Re: Talk Like a Pirate Day! Arrrrggh!

A pirate's favorite letter is not, as many believe, RRR. It's the C they love.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 09:15   #17

Boat: campion 32 motorsail. 25 beachcomber ketch

where do pirates get there fast food? AAAARBYS,,,,, for jim cate; if it's a fine day and you are at the wheel look down at your hands. if your knucles are white you are hanging on way too tight....
svhydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 10:02   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by domander View Post
When I heard Charlton Heston was going to do Long John Silver in his son's movie I thought it would be a mistake. But for me now he IS Long John! He brought just the right amount of menace to the part. The only video link I can find here is just the trailer. Wish I could have found the "apple barrel" conversation or something as dramatic.

- Brian Domander
Ahoy Brian!

Thanks be to ye for posting that thar link. It looks like a grand bit of film, with a motley crew such as Olover Reed as Billy Bones, Christopher Lee as Blind Pew, and a young Christian Bale as Young Jim.

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 10:04   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrys View Post
Its Halloween, a little boy dressed as a Pirate knocks on a neighbors door, the neighbor, appreciating the costume asks " wheres your Bucaneers? " the little boy replies, "under me Buckin Hat"
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 10:06   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Here is a pirate film, starring Robert Newton (my favorite Long John Silver) reprising his role as LJS. In this, a sequel film, he goes to the rescue of his former shipmate Jim.

Long John Silver's Return to Treasure Island
(1954) ROBERT NEWTON

Some humour brightens the day.............and is much appreciated.
We also lost a friend on board a boat in the Caribbean in 1980 due to a botched robbery and another friend had his face caved in by a mallet (survived but maimed) - it is truly awful but we move on and must not deny others their chance to smile.
Thank you, Steady.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 12:48   #21

Boat: MacGregor 26X

Those type of pirates!
Damn, I have spent all day talking like I was from Pittsburgh......
MidwestRefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 14:13   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Today is "Talk Like a Pirate Day."

Not to be mistaken for "Talk Like a Curmudgeon Day."
Hilarious

Even if I rather sympathize with the curmudgeonly but correct point made by Jim Cates.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 17:06   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
My favorite pirate quote:

"Send me ten million dollars or I will start cutting fingers off your grandchildren, who are being held in vile conditions in Somalia".

Why are you glamorizing thugs and killers?? For those of us who actually sail into areas where these bastards are active, it doesn't seem amusing.

Jim
Hey Jim....Not getting enough fiber in yer diet? Man...lighten up a little will ya? There's a whole hell of a difference to the thugs we all agree are non-Buccaneer bastards and the swaggering, grog drinking scalawags, Disney has given us for the last 100 years.
Below is the humor Steady was referring to...Pretty innocent and his intention was noble.

Quote:
Its Halloween, a little boy dressed as a Pirate knocks on a neighbors door, the neighbor, appreciating the costume asks " wheres your Bucaneers? " the little boy replies, "under me Buckin Hat"
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 20:17   #24

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
My favorite pirate quote:

"Send me ten million dollars or I will start cutting fingers off your grandchildren, who are being held in vile conditions in Somalia".

Why are you glamorizing thugs and killers?? For those of us who actually sail into areas where these bastards are active, it doesn't seem amusing.

Jim
i love it! on sailnet there is a thread entitled 'is it lame to fly a pirate flag from your sailboat'.

a few pages of posts in, there are a number of people that respond like this: outrage and offence. i have said everything i had to say about the issue, there. however, i am just blown away that it took so few posts, here, to get such a ridiculously outraged response.

perhaps, just to keep the easily butt hurt from experiencing discomfort, they should rename it "speak like a pirate from the golden age of sail and not a modern speedboat, automatic weapon bearing pirate day".
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 20:39   #25

Boat: Catalina 22

Big difference between the fictional TV and book "pirates" we've grown up with and the bloody bastard terrorist SOB's still operating today. Talk like a pirate day is like Halloween for grown ups. I sure no one condoning the terrorist actions still happening today.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
T_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 18:29   #26

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
that joke was in Easyriders magazine around 40 years ago! amazing seeing it here, now, after all those years.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 18:54   #27

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post
that joke was in Easyriders magazine around 40 years ago! amazing seeing it here, now, after all those years.
Ya but I'm sure "Bob Bitchin" stole it from someone else...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 19:14   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Found this guy walking the docks at Green Bay a few years ago at the tall ships festival. As he walked, the parrot whispered into his ear, " left foot - right foot - etc." The little green guy did not like my Costco electric impersonator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIRATE LOU AND PARROTS.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	109571  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 20:46   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Found this guy walking the docks at Green Bay a few years ago at the tall ships festival. As he walked, the parrot whispered into his ear, " left foot - right foot - etc."
When asked "where did you get that", the parrot said "Well, it started out as a wart on my butt."

Remember, it's September 19, and maybe a lusty weekend or so of wenching and rapine before and after. Just don't kill a fun thing with "Arrr, Matey" for every square sail you see.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 21:00   #30

Jim, lighten up.

I watched three thousand of my friends and neighbors get murdered by a bunch of guys from Saudi Arabia while I watched with my own eyes from the roof of a friend's apartment less than ten blocks away.

Fourteen years later I have to walk past armed National Gaurdsmen every day when I go to work as a reminder and the Coasties in our harbor all have machine guns mounted all the time just in case I go sailing and happen to forget my troubles.

Sorry about your friend who got cut up. Some of my friends died jumping out of hundred-story windows so they didn't have to burn to death.

Get over it. Seriously. You'll live longer.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote