Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2015, 08:13   #61
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Talk Like a Pirate Day! Arrrrggh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Speaking as a Pastafarian, talk like a pirate day was great fun. I took the fun to work and me and my coworkers created pirate names for all 50 of our "crew" of "The Corsair Bovine" (I work in the corporate offices of a large dairy)

I took craft materials and anyone who wished could make an eye patch. My work group was particularly involved and most of us wore pirateish clothing. Baggy pants, tall boots and "poet" shirts were most common. And every single one of us wore an eye patch.

The day happened to coincide with a coworkers birthday too. A long standing tradition for birthdays is a clamor band. Everyone brings a noise maker and kazoo to play "happy birthday" to our aging victim. Imagine that scenario with everyone wearing an eye patch! Those who weren't using a mouth instrument did their level best to keep in character singing in a gruff voice.
Honestly we were terrible movie pirates, but this just added to the laughter. I can't wait to do it again next year.
Ahoy and Welcome aboard!

I enjoyed reading how your crew celebrated in good spirits. Sounds like a good time was had and good for the crew's morale.

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 08:24   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Talk Like a Pirate Day! Arrrrggh!

Thanks Delancey - the point I was attempting to make is that sometimes a route decision is not so straight forward and sometimes the person making that decision does so with the best available information to hand. Sometimes that might be at odds with other peoples view point. That doesnt mean they are wrong as perhaps their information is more relevant to their own situation and not subject to media sensationalism. Tell me which route you would sail if you were parked up in Sri Lanka and I shall tell you of an incident that happend along that route and therefore you should not go that way.
Most of us still fly despite what has happened to a number of aircraft this year. Does this make anyone who flies foolish? People need to be able to make their own decisions without being subjected to unnecessary critical comments. I also agree that some people shall never listen to anything however clear the evidence is. In my opinion a great majority of cruisers are pretty smart people and capable of forming a decision. I believe my point is made. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Bulawayo, point taken.

My comment was meant in reference spivs remarks about having simply avoided the trouble spots and wasn't intended as a criticism but rather meant to emphasize that if you don't go looking for trouble you are much less likely to find it.

I highly doubt few who choose to transit the Red Sea route or other high risk areas do so without an assessment of the risks and that they have deem them acceptable and so it is difficult for me take pity when the risks turned out to be greater than they had anticipated or were able to manage because in the end it was their choice.

Cruising is a choice and that choice involves risks. The high seas are lawless by definition. People who take to the high seas must be aware of the risks and be prepared to suffer the consequences of their actions because in the end they have no one to blame but themselves.

Saying arrrrgh! once in awhile doesn't amplify those risks.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote