Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2017, 11:11   #91

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32
Re: The Nauti One, an Endeavor 32

The dinghy ride. On a clear day it feels like forever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14835569409291130013958.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	138982  
Old 04-01-2017, 11:21   #92

Re: The Nauti One, an Endeavor 32 - All Is Not Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
The body has fallen apart. Mainly the spine & being arthritic and the lungs. Two are genetic the other is stupidity. Such is life. Keep the progress coming.
Sorry to hear that my friend. Seems we have a few things in common. I just decided on an adventure before mine progressed too much further. Still, without a sense of humor we won't get anywhere. I'm glad to see you kept yours.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:25   #93

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareKnot View Post
I left the boat this morning at high tide. The dinghy ride is a long one, and no fun against the current. Came back on the low tide at 1 p.m. Found most of what I needed in town.

I now have a second pickup tube in the diesel tank. I also have a battery switch going south.

It is time to eat something and finish hanging my socks out to dry. I will do the battery switch first. It it should be done while there is still light.

Next I'll start on routing the second fuel line from the second pickup tube to the second input on the Racor fuel filter. Since I have room on the top of the tank, I am removing the 90-degree fittings. I've had enough of these floating paper check valve problems.

I got 2 in line shut off valves, but I think I'll leave them both open. If one line clogs the other will still work. I'll let you know how it goes...
I'm sure you know to keep the second one short. I hope it gets you home to find the real problem. A new boat is a bitch.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:29   #94

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
A new boat is a bitch.
So very true, but an old boat with a new owner is even more of a bitch.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:35   #95

Re: The Nauti One, an Endeavor 32 - All Is Not Well

Quote:
Sorry to hear that my friend. Seems we have a few things in common. I just decided on an adventure before mine progressed too much further. Still, without a sense of humor we won't get anywhere. I'm glad to see you kept yours.
Sense of humor or being pragmatic? I did it and hope your adventure works out well.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:36   #96

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

g'day Phillip,

Glad that you are making progress, both in the geographical and t he boat repair senses, and that you are enjoying the process. But, as one old fart to another, I'd sure recommend that you find yourself at least a small (2 hp or more) outboard for that dink. With our aging bodies, relying on rowing, especially an inflatable which rows poorly at best, can be a life threatening situation. And it can make getting to the pub so slow! Rowing is good exercise, silent and contemplative, but not a reliable means of getting ashore or setting a second anchor or returning to the boat if a squall blows up from the wrong direction. I expect the purists will argue with this view, but most of them are not our age!

Keep up the exploratory work in your new boat. We've owned this one for nearly 14 years now, lived aboard and cruised full time, and I still find new things to think about and investigate (and fix)... likely you will too. It helps if you like puzzles!

Hang in there... it gets better and better!

JIm
Old 04-01-2017, 13:56   #97

Quote:
I'm sure you know to keep the second one short. I hope it gets you home to find the real problem. A new boat is a bitch.
Correct on all counts.
Old 04-01-2017, 14:06   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
So very true, but an old boat with a new owner is even more of a bitch.
Grasshopper, truly you have learned the wisdom of the elders. When you can snatch this pebble from my hand, then you will have a pebble; just as when I snatched this sailboat from someone else's hand, now I own a hole in the water where I pour all of my money.
Old 04-01-2017, 14:13   #99

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Grasshopper, truly you have learned the wisdom of the elders. When you can snatch this pebble from my hand, then you will have a pebble; just as when I snatched this sailboat from someone else's hand, now I own a hole in the water where I pour all of my money.
"Like standing in a cold shower tearing up $100 bills."

And you and I probably bought "good" ones!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 14:15   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
g'day Phillip,

Glad that you are making progress, both in the geographical and t he boat repair senses, and that you are enjoying the process. But, as one old fart to another, I'd sure recommend that you find yourself at least a small (2 hp or more) outboard for that dink. With our aging bodies, relying on rowing, especially an inflatable which rows poorly at best, can be a life threatening situation. And it can make getting to the pub so slow! Rowing is good exercise, silent and contemplative, but not a reliable means of getting ashore or setting a second anchor or returning to the boat if a squall blows up from the wrong direction. I expect the purists will argue with this view, but most of them are not our age!

Keep up the exploratory work in your new boat. We've owned this one for nearly 14 years now, lived aboard and cruised full time, and I still find new things to think about and investigate (and fix)... likely you will too. It helps if you like puzzles!

Hang in there... it gets better and better!

JIm
G'day Jim!

As always, you give good advice. Thank you also for the encouragement.

As it stands right now, I have spent more than $100 a day just getting this far. The definition of crazy is to keep doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result. It is time for me to reevaluate my options. It's time for me to put a tourniquet on my bank account.

I'm not giving up. But it is clear that I need to implement a different approach. I'll let you know what I decide.
Old 04-01-2017, 14:16   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
"Like standing in a cold shower tearing up $100 bills."

And you and I probably bought "good" ones!
Old 04-01-2017, 14:28   #102

Quote:
G'day Jim!

As always, you give good advice. Thank you also for the encouragement.

As it stands right now, I have spent more than $100 a day just getting this far. The definition of crazy is to keep doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result. It is time for me to reevaluate my options. It's time for me to put a tourniquet on my bank account.

I'm not giving up. But it is clear that I need to implement a different approach. I'll let you know what I decide.
Don't give up that might cost more than carrying on? Best of luck.
Old 04-01-2017, 15:17   #103

Quote:
Don't give up that might cost more than carrying on? Best of luck.
Check your PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:42   #104

I arrived in Little River South Carolina on November 8th. It is now the first week of January. For two months I have struggled against trials and deadlines I could not have imagined. For the first time in decades I am slipping into debt. I am cold, hungry, tired and worse still, losing my sense of humor.

At $14 a month, Unlimited BoatUS Tow Insurance was one of the better decisions I have made (thank you Steady Hand). But that doesn't mean that it has been easy. So far, I have been towed a number of times and each time has been difficult in the extreme and for a number of causes.

The first cause is the boat design itself. Endeavourowners.com reminds us, "Ted Irwin designed her as a dual-purpose cruiser-racer before the development of IOR." Sailboatdata.com includes, "The ENDEAVOUR 32 was the first boat from Endeavour and was actually the same basic hull as the earlier IRWIN 32 (*conceived in 1970) with modifications by Dennis Robbins, in-house designer for Endeavour at this time."
(* comment mine)

So this hull design is a compromise based on early 1970s technology. Her lines are somewhat reminiscent of classic designs; winestem stern, pronounced overhang and a narrow 'sea-kindly' beam, but with modifications to the interior to make it more cruiser attractive. At 32 feet, her LOA is almost 7 feet longer then her waterline, yielding poor light wind performance. On the other hand, the helm is responsive to a fault and the boat will spin on her keel.

She has been called, "...a wolf in sheep's clothing" when any wind significant enough to make her heel is present. Suddenly the pig becomes a panther. However, her short water line coupled with a shoal draft fin keel are the very same ingredients that makes this hull design difficult to tow. When completely upright in the water, she is at her shortest waterline and most unstable posture.

Any turbulence in wind or water will cause the boat to sail against the tow rope. The same is true of the anchor rode and is most apparent when current and wind oppose. The only way to ensure you don't wrap your keel is to use all chain. It is almost required to have a drogue and a steering sail to set depending on what the other boats in the anchorage are doing. Since I have neither, I anchor apart. Likewise, neither solution is applicable when under tow, especially in the narrow and shallow channels of the icw.

Under tow, this boat requires the helmsman's complete attention (and sometimes all his might) just to keep the bow of the sailboat pointed at the stern of the towboat. Once under tow, there is little you can do but stand there and fight the instability of this design and whatever nature throws at you.

The first tow on this trip was the easiest and shortest, but it had the worst result. I ended up at a boatyard that cost me dearly. The net result was that I spent a lot of money, did not get the boat fixed and ended up with both wind and power failing many miles from anywhere. Ultimately I was left hard aground in freezing weather for 2 days. My only source of heat was my sleeping bag and my angry frustration. The propane stove would poison the air long before it would heat the boat. I like being able to wake up.

The second tow I stood at the helm as we tried to make way against current and a stiff headwind. The temperature was in the 40s and the tow captain, in a complete enclosure, complained that he was freezing and didn't know how I could stand it out in the open. We couldn't make our destination before the tow captain called it quits, so he dropped me at a marina in Port Royal. I was able to take a shower, wash some clothes and get about 6 hours sleep. I awoke exhausted.

The following day the weather improved. The tow captain handed me off to another who brought a friend. They would chat. Everytime the tow captain turned his head to speak, he also turned the wheel. It was reflex. I tried to talk to him about it, but it was to no avail. Imagine spending 8 hours yanking the helm to either port or starboard every 15 seconds or so. These guys wore me out, not to mention ran me ground twice before getting me to my destination.

This last tow captain was the best. But it was a 10 hour trip at hull speed in some fairly rough conditions. I was already exhausted from a week and a half of boat yoga, the previous weeks of engine troubles, tows and tribulations.

This last trip has tested me to my limits. I collapsed around midnight, waking throughout the night to check the anchor and rising at dawn to set the boat and my supplies and belongings in order.

So here again, I will empty the starboard lazarette to work on the fuel system as I swing on a hook beside a busy channel, while racing against the arrival of another arctic front in a sailboat with no heat. It's time to do something even if it's wrong.

Understand, I still love this boat. My happiest moments was during engine failure. For a few brief miles I sailed a beam reach. I felt like I was racing a thoroughbred. But it was brief. Too brief.

Last night I asked my brother to solicit bids on uShip. If I can get the engine running I will press on to Jacksonville and decide from there. If not, I will have them ship it and me from Fernandina. My best plan of action would be to put it on the hard near my resources and contacts and prepare it for spring.

In any case, I'm thinking of getting a room for the weekend when the rain and freezing temperatures are scheduled to arrive. A warm shower, clean clothes, a decent meal and some rest might be just what I need.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:24   #105

Quote:
I arrived in Little River South Carolina on November 8th. It is now the first week of January. For two months I have struggled against trials and deadlines I could not have imagined. For the first time in decades I am slipping into debt. I am cold, hungry, tired and worse still, losing my sense of humor.

At $14 a month, Unlimited BoatUS Tow Insurance was one of the better decisions I have made (thank you Steady Hand). But that doesn't mean that it has been easy. So far, I have been towed a number of times and each time has been difficult in the extreme and for a number of causes.

The first cause is the boat design itself. Endeavourowners.com reminds us, "Ted Irwin designed her as a dual-purpose cruiser-racer before the development of IOR." Sailboatdata.com includes, "The ENDEAVOUR 32 was the first boat from Endeavour and was actually the same basic hull as the earlier IRWIN 32 (*conceived in 1970) with modifications by Dennis Robbins, in-house designer for Endeavour at this time."
(* comment mine)

So this hull design is a compromise based on early 1970s technology. Her lines are somewhat reminiscent of classic designs; winestem stern, pronounced overhang and a narrow 'sea-kindly' beam, but with modifications to the interior to make it more cruiser attractive. At 32 feet, her LOA is almost 7 feet longer then her waterline, yielding poor light wind performance. On the other hand, the helm is responsive to a fault and the boat will spin on her keel.

She has been called, "...a wolf in sheep's clothing" when any wind significant enough to make her heel is present. Suddenly the pig becomes a panther. However, her short water line coupled with a shoal draft fin keel are the very same ingredients that makes this hull design difficult to tow. When completely upright in the water, she is at her shortest waterline and most unstable posture.

Any turbulence in wind or water will cause the boat to sail against the tow rope. The same is true of the anchor rode and is most apparent when current and wind oppose. The only way to ensure you don't wrap your keel is to use all chain. It is almost required to have a drogue and a steering sail to set depending on what the other boats in the anchorage are doing. Since I have neither, I anchor apart. Likewise, neither solution is applicable when under tow, especially in the narrow and shallow channels of the icw.

Under tow, this boat requires the helmsman's complete attention (and sometimes all his might) just to keep the bow of the sailboat pointed at the stern of the towboat. Once under tow, there is little you can do but stand there and fight the instability of this design and whatever nature throws at you.

The first tow on this trip was the easiest and shortest, but it had the worst result. I ended up at a boatyard that cost me dearly. The net result was that I spent a lot of money, did not get the boat fixed and ended up with both wind and power failing many miles from anywhere. Ultimately I was left hard aground in freezing weather for 2 days. My only source of heat was my sleeping bag and my angry frustration. The propane stove would poison the air long before it would heat the boat. I like being able to wake up.

The second tow I stood at the helm as we tried to make way against current and a stiff headwind. The temperature was in the 40s and the tow captain, in a complete enclosure, complained that he was freezing and didn't know how I could stand it out in the open. We couldn't make our destination before the tow captain called it quits, so he dropped me at a marina in Port Royal. I was able to take a shower, wash some clothes and get about 6 hours sleep. I awoke exhausted.

The following day the weather improved. The tow captain handed me off to another who brought a friend. They would chat. Everytime the tow captain turned his head to speak, he also turned the wheel. It was reflex. I tried to talk to him about it, but it was to no avail. Imagine spending 8 hours yanking the helm to either port or starboard every 15 seconds or so. These guys wore me out, not to mention ran me ground twice before getting me to my destination.

This last tow captain was the best. But it was a 10 hour trip at hull speed in some fairly rough conditions. I was already exhausted from a week and a half of boat yoga, the previous weeks of engine troubles, tows and tribulations.

This last trip has tested me to my limits. I collapsed around midnight, waking throughout the night to check the anchor and rising at dawn to set the boat and my supplies and belongings in order.

So here again, I will empty the starboard lazarette to work on the fuel system as I swing on a hook beside a busy channel, while racing against the arrival of another arctic front in a sailboat with no heat. It's time to do something even if it's wrong.

Understand, I still love this boat. My happiest moments was during engine failure. For a few brief miles I sailed a beam reach. I felt like I was racing a thoroughbred. But it was brief. Too brief.

Last night I asked my brother to solicit bids on uShip. If I can get the engine running I will press on to Jacksonville and decide from there. If not, I will have them ship it and me from Fernandina. My best plan of action would be to put it on the hard near my resources and contacts and prepare it for spring.

In any case, I'm thinking of getting a room for the weekend when the rain and freezing temperatures are scheduled to arrive. A warm shower, clean clothes, a decent meal and some rest might be just what I need.
Phil,

An anchor sally will cure the rode from rapping around the keel through slack tides. No need for chain or a drogue. It in effect also increases your scope.