Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 27-07-2013, 19:58   #226
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: The (Official) "Lets Bash the Nina Thread" - sponsored by Bazzer :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
No problem. Never applied. With me, you see, it is the other way round: I elect with whom and for whom I work.

I too am sad with the news and, like some others, hope Niña and her crew will get to somewhere or get found. I know such stories do happen. It is only that with every passing day, their chances seem slimmer.

Frankly, the only posts that send me off somewhat are there where some of us claim that the boat should have had this or that onboard, that her skipper had no respect and other suchlikes. This is the sign of the times. Everything is taken care of, everything is insured. But this is not how life is, this is not where adventure is, this is not me. I am a dreamer. One that was lucky enough to be out there, doing sailing, in a boat that some of us would bash ...

Sursum corda.

b.
+1(00)
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 27-07-2013, 20:10   #227

Boat: PETERSON 44
Except maybe it should have had decent sails. Is that okay to hope that before you try a trip like this your sails are good?
Old 27-07-2013, 20:41   #228

Boat: Sabre 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray
Except maybe it should have had decent sails. Is that okay to hope that before you try a trip like this your sails are good?
What maker? Hank on or furling? What sails should I get to be legal? Help me obi won!
Old 27-07-2013, 21:20   #229

I don't care what sail you get. If your doing a 1200 mile stint in a sail boat you might like having sails triple stitched and able to handle 50 knots of wind.
Might be good if the engine has proper fuel lines and can run at spec. Just a thought. Not advocating it be a law just a thought.
Old 05-08-2013, 16:10   #230
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

On the matter of raising money for continued private SAR efforts......

Searching for Nina is completely hopeless proposition, Even given the faint possibility that she is still afloat, the search area is way too large and SAR assets way too few.

By now, the only hope for the crew is to save themselves and I wish them strength with this ordeal - should they still be alive.

I make no comment on the motives of third parties who advocate continued searching.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 05-08-2013, 16:24   #231

Thank you CF!! Cherie
Old 05-08-2013, 20:43   #232
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The (Official) "Lets Bash the Nina Thread" - sponsored by Bazzer :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
East west ? North South ? How about down ? The fact is if there is any flotsam from Nina it could be anywhere in the southern hemisphere. It's all very sad, but maybe a lesson to be learned.
Which is....?

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:19   #233
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
In the case of the Nina no indication whatsoever that there was anything wrong with any of the sails onboard, including the storm sail that was "shredded" (which term can cover a multiple of events). Whilst not an everyday event, not unheard of.

Of course the sails could have all been held together with gaffer tape, but until firm info that was the case I think entirely reasonable (and polite?) to assume that the sails were good......even if we all take a(nother) close look at our own sails.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:02   #234
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I would point out going to sea in a 90 y/o possibly hogged, certainly maintained on the cheap for over 30 years, vessel is a fools errand. Also don't do it in high latitudes in the winter! Perhaps that is not considered a teachable moment by others on the other thread?

I'm just back from a 2 week CF sponsored holiday myself do treading lightly. I assume a post with polite criticism is still considered appropriate.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:43   #235
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I would point out going to sea in a 90 y/o possibly hogged, certainly maintained on the cheap for over 30 years, vessel is a fools errand. Also don't do it in high latitudes in the winter! Perhaps that is not considered a teachable moment by others on the other thread?

I'm just back from a 2 week CF sponsored holiday myself do treading lightly. I assume a post with polite criticism is still considered appropriate.
I dunno, seems fair enuf to me (on this thread)......but I pressed the red triangle on your post just to find out .
Old 06-08-2013, 06:11   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

In the case of the Nina no indication whatsoever that there was anything wrong with any of the sails onboard, including the storm sail that was "shredded" (which term can cover a multiple of events). Whilst not an everyday event, not unheard of.

Of course the sails could have all been held together with gaffer tape, but until firm info that was the case I think entirely reasonable (and polite?) to assume that the sails were good......even if we all take a(nother) close look at our own sails.
Jedi said he believed the sails were bad. Post #427. Seems he knows the boat pretty well. I saw mention of sail condition somewhere else too but can't recall. Fair enough I don't know and got caught up in the story.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:30   #237
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Jedi said he believed the sails were bad. Post #427. Seems he knows the boat pretty well. I saw mention of sail condition somewhere else too but can't recall. Fair enough I don't know and got caught up in the story.
Whilst not taking that as definitive, nonetheless something I missed first time around. Cheers for the heads up.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1279234

That puts a somewhat different complexion on events, at least to my mind - and makes a vessel getting overwhelmed in a storm more likely from loss of steerage capacity, especially if engine also playing up (new install without major hours on it and a compromise or 2 yet to addressed). Of course the Skipper would have known that........
Old 06-08-2013, 08:23   #238
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
especially if engine also playing up ........
David the new engine WAS playing up! There is CLEAR evidence that was release by 'friends of Nina' that said the boat could only do 4-5 knots in flat water with the new engine.

Quote:
For those interested regarding Nina's engine..

Hi Cherie,
David had done a very good job on the install and had adhered to as much of
the advice that we gave him as he was able to
There was a few things such as the water intake that was not big enough to
allow maximum water flow to the engine at full throttle
Also the fuel lines were not of the correct size. These things would need to
be rectified before the warranty was signed off
The engine was quite capable of attaining full power however because of the
drive line alignment issues david chose not to go any higher in the rpm
On the sea trial the vessel motored at 6.5knots at 1600rpm. David was happy running at a lower rpm that gave them 4-5 knots.
David was aware of the issues with the warranty and drive line and as he was out of time he decided to address these issues when the vessel was slipped in Australia
The issues with the fuellines and water intake would not have caused any problems at the lower rpm.
I trust this will help
Regards Bruce.
My bolding and underline.

The total BS in both threads has lost virtually every important point.

Just think what a storm does to a boat with 'shredded' sails and a donk that can only do 4 to 5 knots without wind!

And that next storm was when all 3 satellite communicators failed to work.

Blaming Iridium (et al) just exacerbates the BS and doesn't allow value judgements of the underlying facts. Facts!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 06-08-2013, 08:33   #239
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The (Official) "Lets Bash the Nina Thread" - sponsored by Bazzer :-)

Coming to the conclusion that abandoned boats and myself are the only things that lay ahull when the winds are blowing 60+ knots...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:43   #240
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Coming to the conclusion that abandoned boats and myself are the only things that lay ahull when the winds are blowing 60+ knots...
But that likely intentionally, rather than by (sudden) events leading to less than laying ahull and more wallowing broadside on. Not to say of course that is automatically a catastrophic event (even if requiring a change of underwear!), but in a storm don't need much more for it to turn into one . In any event, at that point I would be happier being on a Beneteau half the size than a wooden boat with 10 year old fibreglass sheathing.......indeed I like to think I would not have got onboard in the first place for that voyage at the time of year, but sometimes my appetite for risk does outweigh my sanity .

I rather suspect that (once again) we are into the learning example of not following a schedule (whether that of others or own), albeit a tough one to accept if talking a wait in months........

......as well as the fact that most bad decisions get made in port before setting out on a voyage.
Closed Thread

Tags
My Bucket is, superior to