Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 22-08-2013, 16:49   #286

Re: The (Official) "Lets Bash the Nina Thread" - sponsored by Bazzer :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You posted that it came from your friend, who used a program on her PC to depixalize the image and that it turned out to be the same brand of liferaft that Niņa has aboard. That is a lot of info and none of that was on the FB page you hide behind. Where did that info come from? Is it true or do you just make these things up?
For goodness sake, I am not hiding behind anything ... surely logic might suggest to you I would not have returned to correct and apologise about it if I was hiding? I made a genuine mistake. Two images were posted, and I re-posted them here before the full explanation was added to the images; one photo was enlarged from a tomnod find, the second one, the detail of which was added later, for COMPARISON only, was an UNRELATED coastguard photo of a liferaft at sea same model as reported to be carried by Nina.

The key words here are in caps -- this was the info missing when I posted.

I made a genuine error, and I apologise once again. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 22-08-2013, 17:16   #287

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post

(...)/(...)

(...) "The imagery is from DigitalGlobe (our parent company). Their constellation of 5 satellites captures the world's best commercially-available imagery or our planet. The resolution of our DigitalGlobe satellite images means that 1 pixel corresponds to about 50cm2 on the ground (or ocean in this case). That means that a 8m liferaft would be about 16 pixels and the 70ft schooner Nina would be about 42 pixels long...."

(...)
@ Shakti:

You must have noticed they never say they do have imagery of this part of the ocean that corresponds to the resolution mentioned.

Noticed?

Some claim that there is no such resolution imagery for open water areas as there is nothing of interest there (making such imagery is very expensive after all) - so to say tomnod would have something that should not otherwise exist in the money and interests driven reality.

And if tomnod's imagery is authentic, then why no SAR uses / used it?

I refuse to believe the imagery being authentic AND sar not taking action.

b.
Old 22-08-2013, 17:27   #288

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova13 View Post
(...) Two images were posted, and I re-posted them here before the full explanation was added to the images; one photo was enlarged from a tomnod find, the second one, the detail of which was added later, for COMPARISON only, was an UNRELATED coastguard photo of a liferaft at sea same model as reported to be carried by Nina.

The key words here are in caps -- this was the info missing when I posted.

I made a genuine error, and I apologise once again. Nothing more, nothing less.
So is there a raft (an object looking like a raft) in tomnod imagery or is there not. And if there is, can you PLS tell me what was SAR response to the find? (Should you know of their response).

Because I understand that if there is an object that looks like a raft in tomnod imagery, then someone has already talked to NZ SAR and they took a stand?

Thank you. I can't find this info elsewhere, hence my asking here at CF.

The other thread became very enigmatic and questions posted there are not answered. It is silly I am trying to find more info in 'let's bash'. I am not bashing, I am hoping.

b.
Old 22-08-2013, 17:49   #289
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The (Official) "Lets Bash the Nina Thread" - sponsored by Bazzer :-)

To be honest I question the costs of $20,000/day for a... I believe was stated a Cessna to carry out a search...
1/ Maybe a pilot (REAL) can quote the range/flying time of a Cessna.. and tell us how many hours it can stay airborne and safely return to base...
2/ Down there I would imagine there's 8hrs of 'good visibility flying time.. lets be generous and call it 10hrs...
3/ I can hire a Cessna and instructor here in Portugal for 300 euro's/hr... is Equsearch a branch of a well known UK charity where 90% of donations goes to 'costs' and only 10% goes to the cause its allegedly funding.. that's 3000euros for 10hrs flying time... go frigging figure...
Friends of Nina and familys... I know this is important to you guys... but don't let yourselves get scammed by ******** holding out false hope... as I said before... survival IMHO is down to the folks on Nina... not a bunch of scammers in the good old US of A...
Nigeria eat your heart out...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
Old 22-08-2013, 18:00   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
So is there a raft (an object looking like a raft) in tomnod imagery or is there not. And if there is, can you PLS tell me what was SAR response to the find? (Should you know of their response).

Because I understand that if there is an object that looks like a raft in tomnod imagery, then someone has already talked to NZ SAR and they took a stand?

Thank you. I can't find this info elsewhere, hence my asking here at CF.

The other thread became very enigmatic and questions posted there are not answered. It is silly I am trying to find more info in 'let's bash'. I am not bashing, I am hoping.

b.
then we can hope together and thank you for your courteous reply.. Yes, there are two separate images on tomnod that strongly suggest being a life raft; but they are from satellite images taken on Aug 3, 4 and I think also 5. I believe from some reports that NZ SAR has been supplying the twin engine Cessna searching out of Norfolk Island with the relevant drift and current charts to assist.

Gossip in NZ is that for SAR to follow through on this, they will need to first accept they searched in the wrong place several weeks ago.

Our newspapers are carrying the story which might bring some movement, hard to know. It is at least in the public eye, even now.

These are vast and wild ocean spaces down here, and where the satellite images were seen is far off any air or shipping lanes .. seriously isolated. And now more than three weeks old. But the privately funded plane is in the air today again so hope is what we have, and lots of it.

I can't post any link for you as the sites are requesting support or funding. But if you were to search on Facebook for 'Nina' in it and thinking about bringing her home, I think you will find some interesting info. There are many sites -- certainly it appears these seven are much loved by many family and friends, and Evi Nemeth is a tech legend, Matthew Wootton an important UK Greens leader .. so many pages out there.

Hoping together then ...
Old 22-08-2013, 18:00   #291

Boat: Leopard 40

b -
I have NO idea about what was reported or not reported to SAR. I never saw the image that was reported to have the raft. I only know that TomNod was recently acquired by DigitalGlobe. DG is a huge imagery provider of high quality imagery. They must believe in this company. I went to the Contact Us button and asked them about the type of imagery they are getting for Nina. A man named Luke Barrington responded. He is listed as "CTO" (sorry not CFO - I keep quite a load of acronyms in my head in this business and senior management titles isn't one). He responded with the following:
==========================
Hi Mari,

I believe that most of the imagery is from WV-2... it's pan-sharpened using our default factory process (given the huge area). The color of the imagery varies depending on the environmental & weather conditions at the time of capture.

I'm working on an FAQ page that I hope to launch later today.

:Luke
Luke Barrington, Ph.D.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Mari Minari <> wrote:
Thanks Luke. So it is using Quickbird or WV-2? I am very familiar with DG as I work for the company that makes ENVI image processing software who have many ties to DG. I also happen to be a sailor concerned about the Nina.
Have the images been preprocessed? Also, the community if frustrated because they cannot themselves see lat/lon on the images which would be very useful. A small description on the main page describing the imagery and resolution would help because looking at the sea with no real reference point gives the illusion of low resolution.

Thanks much,
Mari
=====================

Now, maybe he is lying (for what purpose?) or doesn't really know, or has it all wrong but I am currently believing they are providing what they say they provide.

b -
"You must have noticed they never say they do have imagery of this part of the ocean that corresponds to the resolution mentioned."

Maybe I missed it but I don't see ANYTHING on their website describing anything about the imagery other than a scale bar at the bottom for reference and a globe with some outlines of the area of interest. It is very difficult to tell what you are looking at. I, personally, have no idea if this is the correct area to look but I believe this is the area they are collecting imagery, as it becomes available. I can only assume DG is donating the imagery ($$) but perhaps the family is purchasing it and in that case you can pretty much pay any satellite imagery provider with a pointable sensor to "look at" any position, even the ocean. You can only hope it is cloud free (and daytime) or you have to wait until the next orbital cycle.
The main problem is the website tools themselves are not sophisticated enough to provide reference information (lat/lon) on the image. I also think that they only have a few scenes within each of the rectangular areas of interest but they haven't bothered to document exactly what you are viewing. I am hoping he follows through with that FAQ.

Anyway, all I am saying is that I think that TomNod is trying to provide a legitimate service with imagery provided by their parent company to try and show what can be done with CrowdSourcing and imagery. I think they are trying to use it for GOOD.

What happened after the reported raft? I would like to know as well...

Respectfully - Shakti
Old 22-08-2013, 18:30   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
To be honest I question the costs of $20,000/day for a... I believe was stated a Cessna to carry out a search...
1/ Maybe a pilot (REAL) can quote the range/flying time of a Cessna.. and tell us how many hours it can stay airborne and safely return to base...
2/ Down there I would imagine there's 8hrs of 'good visibility flying time.. lets be generous and call it 10hrs...
3/ I can hire a Cessna and instructor here in Portugal for 300 euro's/hr... is Equsearch a branch of a well known UK charity where 90% of donations goes to 'costs' and only 10% goes to the cause its allegedly funding.. that's 3000euros for 10hrs flying time... go frigging figure...
Friends of Nina and familys... I know this is important to you guys... but don't let yourselves get scammed by ******** holding out false hope... as I said before... survival IMHO is down to the folks on Nina... not a bunch of scammers in the good old US of A...
Nigeria eat your heart out...
FYI, if it's helpful, this is the trusted and reputable NZ company flying the search in what must be their Reims according to pictures shown, their only twin engine Cessna. You could ask them directly what their costs are per day.

KiwiAir

Also maybe worth noting the search is not being run out of NZ but rather out of Norfolk Island in the middle of the new search area, maybe 1200 miles north of NZ. For sure this would increase the costs being offshore and you should know we have become a very expensive country in the last couple of years, including GST or VAT or 15%

Another point is some quotes are in NZ$ and some in US$ .. quite a difference so when you are converting you shd know the NZ$ today is worth only US$79 cents.

And no, I am not affiliated with the company -- juts googling the same way as you can !
Old 22-08-2013, 18:41   #293
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
FYI, if it's helpful, this is the trusted and reputable NZ company flying the search in what must be their Reims according to pictures shown, their only twin engine Cessna. You could ask them directly what their costs are per day.

KiwiAir

Also maybe worth noting the search is not being run out of NZ but rather out of Norfolk Island in the middle of the new search area. For sure this would increase the costs being offshore and you should know we have become a very expensive country in the last couple of years, including GST or VAT or 15%

Another point is some quotes are in NZ$ and some in US$ .. quite a difference so when you are converting you shd know the NZ$ today is worth only US$79 cents.

And no, I am not affiliated with the company -- juts googling the same way as you can !
IVA (VAT) in Portugal = 23%....
Don't use Google... use my brain and a mobile instead...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
Old 22-08-2013, 18:46   #294

Quote:
IVA (VAT) in Portugal = 23%....
Don't use Google... use my brain and a mobile instead...
expensive popcorn then ! that's a high tax.
Old 22-08-2013, 18:57   #295
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
expensive popcorn then ! that's a high tax.
Tell me about it... I live here...
But... the beers and tobacco is a damn sight cheaper than your rip off country's down under... figure the higher costs must be wages and fuel...

Old 22-08-2013, 19:00   #296
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

There is a story in a US paper from a few days ago stating family members believe Nina is still afloat because no wreckage has been found!

Seriously, the best is the Republican congressmen suggesting other sovereign nations are not spending enough money or time searching. Maybe he can just put the search on his campaign funds.
Old 22-08-2013, 19:10   #297
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
There is a story in a US paper from a few days ago stating family members believe Nina is still afloat because no wreckage has been found!

Seriously, the best is the Republican congressmen suggesting other sovereign nations are not spending enough money or time searching. Maybe he can just put the search on his campaign funds.
The world knows what a Congressman's worth... US corporations however seem to place a higher value..

Old 22-08-2013, 19:10   #298

Quote:
Tell me about it... I live here...
But... the beers and tobacco is a damn sight cheaper than your rip off country's down under... figure the higher costs must be wages and fuel...
i wouldnt think that whole cost is going to kiwiair but i don't know which is why i sent u the resource to know for yourself .. why so rude ?
Old 22-08-2013, 19:16   #299
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
why so rude ?
probably didn't get the leg over..
dave
Old 22-08-2013, 19:19   #300
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
i wouldnt think that whole cost is going to kiwiair but i don't know which is why i sent u the resource to know for yourself .. why so rude ?
Mate... rude is $40 for 20 grams of tobacco... 3.25euros here... and $8 for a bottle of beer... 90cents over here...
Ever considered... maybe your getting screwed over

Closed Thread

Tags
My Bucket is, superior to