Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 09:14   #31

Boat: Island Packet, 35, - Serendipity
Re: The Search Is On for My First Boat

You mentioned someplace along the way to get a good set of weather gear">foul weather gear and learn on other peoples boats. This is a GREAT way to get into sailing. It it actually how I sailed when I first moved away from home and hence access to Dad's boat. Find a sailing club on a local lake or an area you are interested to sail and put your name out. There are always lots and lots of folks looking for crew on thier race boats. You can try out all sorts of different boats in different conditions this way. Racing with the right folks can be pretty laid back and did I mention a FREE way to get to sail and test drive boats. Don't be in a rush to get a boat of your own.
Good Luck!
Eric M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:05   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiva46k
Welcome, and not sure if this reply fits your time line however....
I have browsed the previous posts and can agree with all on at least some point. Here is my assessment (been sailing since 1958). Your first boat, by definition will not be your "last boat" but it should be a good viable spring board to the next umpty million seasons of boating.
1) 6'5 head room should not be your priority. You are absolutely correct that most of the time below will be in a non standing position and when heeled at 20 degrees, you pick up head room fast! Cooking aside, most every other activity is sitting or lying down. You do learn to get around without killing your self. 2) Get a boat that you can grow into and not grow out of immediately. Since you are going to travel some distance, it should be a comfortable "apt" while dockside and one that you feel good about inviting new friends aboard. 3) A prior poster mentioned Pamlico Sound... a hardy second to that. Plenty of good sailing area and adventures to nearby Manteo or Ocracoke Island will never be forgotten.4) 32'-38 foot boats are easily single handed or short handed when properly set up. Sails (even heavy Dacron) are easily handled by one. 5) the JR Overseas analog moisture meter is very reliable. I have one and count on it regularly. Also a phenolic hammer (Craftsman screwdriver handle will work in a push) is invaluable for finding "dead" coring around hardware. 6) I agree whole heartedly with the fin keel assertion above. There are some very noteworty full keel boats however for short sailing sessions, performance counts. If you have a boat that sails well you will sail...otherwise it may sit at the dock and look pretty.
Sorry this got so long winded...good luck on your search...keep us posted.
Hi kiva46k and welcome to CF.

Agree with most everything you said except the 6'5" comment.

If the boat is to be purchased as a training boat to be upgraded later you might survive with less than ideal headroom. There is a lot moree to be done below decks than cooking.

OHoever I will say it is a personal choice and has to be balanced against other priorities. Ot can be really annoying to crick one's neck all weekend.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc