Oooohh Da Fid !!--, ye of little faith.
Old 13-12-2012, 13:30   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: The WTF are they thinking thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Don't matter what you do or where, someone somewhere likely will call you an idjut
What? Again? I'm used to that by now.

Quote:
and that includes if you simply stayed at home but had the bad luck to fall off the crapper
Haven't done that. Does falling out of bed count?

Quote:
But nonetheless, IMO simply a sign of civilisation that others will at least try. Personally I would have gone out to look for him (again!), how hard I looked would be another matter - sometimes Darwin needs a hand .
Now that sounds like a good "compromise" solution to me.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 14:38   #108

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Ahhhh,,,the infamous camel toe,,i used to be a connoisseur in my brave day's....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I thought that was Camel toes to beware of?...

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 14:51   #109

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Oh,,and by the way,,The saying i used is from the song "Soul cages" by Sting.
The lyrics are "It's better to be poor than be a fat man in the eye of a needle"
Nothing to do with any thing Christ said....
The saying carries it's own meaning, nothing to do with entering heaven.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 15:57   #110

Boat: Heritage 35

Couldn't agree more. There but for the grace of god (or whatever your diety) go you and I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I've lost count of the number of times I've shared fuel, water, given a tow or tried to monkey wrench some poor bastards engine and never received a sou for my trouble, nor asked for one. One of my old skippers once told me that you never know when you might be in the same fix, down on your luck and trust a good samaritan to help you out. I remember him standing by a broken down vessel years ago until they could secure a tow. Took nearly a day. It is what you do when you are on the water. We are a community out there and unlike our shoreside brethern, we look out for each other and lend a hand when we are able.
Some one once told me, if you accept money for helping out a fellow boater, bad karma will follow you around for many years. Phil
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 16:34   #111

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I regularly see people try to drive off without taking up the anchor or dropping the mooring. They keep going around and around in circles and can't figure out why they aren't going anywhere.

I once saw a guy take a dump in a bucket and dump it off the back of the boat into water where people were swimming like 20 feet away.

One guy so drunk and angry that he wants to leave in his Moorings boat at about 2 PM on New Years eve in an extremely crowded anchorage, drops the mooring but gets his prop wrapped in it, then passes out. Boat is washing up on beach and wife is screaming for help so we we motor out and help her out.

Another cruiser (also drunk) ran over a woman zipping through the anchorage at full speed in his RIB. Eviscerated her back and we had to pull her up on the beach. Blood and guts everywhere.

People regularly drive into a well marked reef with breaking waves... we count... 1....2....3.... and watch the boat slam into the reef. Happens over and over.

Non cruiser story... we have a big black lab and the cruise lines come into the bay all the time to drop off their guests on the beach. Usually accompanied by young guys with exactly zero experience driving a dinghy of any sort into surf. They usually make it ok. This time though... they had a helicopter with a huge bag of floating bingo balls hanging by the bottom. They drops the balls into the water and there is like a hundred white people swimming in all directions to pick them up... this was WAY to much for my lab to handle so of course he see "balls in water". Starts going and picking up the balls and taking them up to the house. OThe dinghy guys in their nice white pants, horizontal stripped shirts, and dorky sailor caps will have nothing of this and start chasing my dog up and down the beach. Of course... the dog is having a ball and they finally give up. I nearly had a stroke I was laughing so hard.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 20:11   #112

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Someone I don't know, but knew me, or rather knew I could be Big Show's big brother, asked me to collect a $110,000.00 judgment that has not been paid. I would get $50,000.00 for my trouble. HEAVENS!

Being big, means I have never had to scrap over anything ever. In a fight. A little guy would hand me my butt. I pondered the offer for several weeks before turning it down. I could see a deal like that going bad from so many directions.
Good instincts. I did a bit of informal "security" in my salad days, and saw a few guys bigger than me (and I am more or less "soccer hooligan" size) taken out by a sharp object to the face or a blunt object to the happy sack.

The guys who want to mix it up aren't always drunk or inaccurate.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 20:17   #113

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post

So Darwin really doesn't apply.

I guess that really wasn't all that brief. Sorry, something pushed a button.

Connemara
The corrolary to the misuse of Darwin (and I agree, once you've bred, dead or alive doesn't matter in the sense old Charlie meant) is probably "if you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning."

If the sorry and entirely self-inflicted and avoidable end of some sailor proves instructive to those who habitually think "wanna see something cool? Here, hold my beer!", then some service to the species has been rendered.

Jetskiers can apply at the end of the breakwater.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 20:36   #114
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
My point, exactly... it would be stupid to try it with just one. Me dying of thirst won't stop my son from trying .. he already has the I-don't- need-that-much-beer-anyway gene.

(Small fib to make the point. My son believes there is no such thing as too much beer.)
Your son is my hero.
Old 13-12-2012, 23:01   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I've lost count of the number of times I've shared fuel, water, given a tow or tried to monkey wrench some poor bastards engine and never received a sou for my trouble, nor asked for one. One of my old skippers once told me that you never know when you might be in the same fix, down on your luck and trust a good samaritan to help you out. I remember him standing by a broken down vessel years ago until they could secure a tow. Took nearly a day. It is what you do when you are on the water. We are a community out there and unlike our shoreside brethern, we look out for each other and lend a hand when we are able.
Some one once told me, if you accept money for helping out a fellow boater, bad karma will follow you around for many years. Phil
Spot on. Everyone on the water has a vested interest in helping everyone else.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 00:28   #116

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS

Coming to this thread a little late but the OP says the guy couldnt pay for his tow. Puts me in mind of another current thread where an ARC sailor lost his rudder and ws eventually rescued by the harbour master stumping up 6500 Euros to have him towed away from disaster into safety...I assume and hope that she was repaid and bought a case of her favourite tipple for this? But how many times will this angel of mercy and others get shafted by potless idiots before her good will is broken???
Thames 4 Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 06:41   #117
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
God help me, i'm doomed!!! My present TriMaran looks like a Garbage scow,(traded my Tri in San Fransisco for one in San Diego) compared to my old Sea Runner, and looking at the fellows boat in question, his looks like the QE2 compared to mine, and you all SH*t all over him????
While i try to accomplish my dream on a shoe string, i would advise you, Who would deny me the opportunity to learn in my own way, to stay the hell outa my way.
And we will all get along just fine.
Oh,,by the way,,,I pay for what i have, and what i use,and i give what i can to those who fare less well than i, So put that in your pipe and smoke it !!! :-)
"The Truth Shall set you Free....But First it will Piss You Off."
It seems as though you may be encountering some uncomfortable/maddening truths.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 06:57   #118

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I regularly see people try to drive off without taking up the anchor or dropping the mooring. They keep going around and around in circles and can't figure out why they aren't going anywhere.

I once saw a guy take a dump in a bucket and dump it off the back of the boat into water where people were swimming like 20 feet away.

One guy so drunk and angry that he wants to leave in his Moorings boat at about 2 PM on New Years eve in an extremely crowded anchorage, drops the mooring but gets his prop wrapped in it, then passes out. Boat is washing up on beach and wife is screaming for help so we we motor out and help her out.

Another cruiser (also drunk) ran over a woman zipping through the anchorage at full speed in his RIB. Eviscerated her back and we had to pull her up on the beach. Blood and guts everywhere.

People regularly drive into a well marked reef with breaking waves... we count... 1....2....3.... and watch the boat slam into the reef. Happens over and over.
Holly crap zboss! Where do you sail If this is "regular" for your neck of the woods, I want to say far away!
Old 14-12-2012, 07:11   #119

Boat: Franz Maas 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Holly crap zboss! Where do you sail If this is "regular" for your neck of the woods, I want to say far away!
I'm with you Mike. In 40 years of sailing I have never seen even one of those occur. I don't want to be anywhere near Jonah when he's out and about.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 07:38   #120
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Me too.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote