Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2023, 03:55   #1

Tiller Motor Difficult to Switch from Foward to Neutral and Vice Versa

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on this forums, and it relates to my 2010 2.5HP Mercury outboard I use on my sailboat. It recently started needing more force to shift between the forward and neutral gear. Comparing this issue to other people on YouTube with the same motor, they seem to have a much easier time shifting gears. Therefore, I was wondering if there was a way to lubricate this gear shifter mechanism or do something in general to make the process more smooth. Thank you everyone!
Polin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2023, 07:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37
Re: Tiller Motor Difficult to Switch from Foward to Neutral and Vice Versa

Polin,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, I think you can lubricate and make adjustments for easier shifting. Also make sure you bring the motor back to idle before shifting.
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2023, 11:57   #3

Capt Clark,

Thank you for the reply. I did not know that I needed to bring it down to idle before changing gears, but that is a nice thing to know. Moreover, if I am able to lubricate those gears, then do you know what should be lubricated? I have the owners manual for the motor which details each part, but I am not sure what to lubricate, thanks.
Polin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2023, 22:49   #4

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

to the OP: you are extremely lucky you didn't seriously damage your gearbox by shifting into gear with the engine at anything but idle. Its kind of like shifting a manual car gearbox without pushing in the clutch first. Did you not read your operator's manual?

As to lubrication of the shifting mechanism: you will need to download a "Workshop" Manual for information on how to do this job. You'll not find this information in the simple "Operator's Manual".

It is not rocket science, but you will need basic tools and some knowledge of working on mechanical systems. A major potential problem is that you will be removing stainless steel bolts from aluminium castings, and the bolts could be seized up (corroded in place) and very difficult to remove without breaking them off (major bummer).

Stainless and alloy are life-long enemies. Stainless causes the alloy to corrode (stainless is more "noble" than alloy on the galvanic scale). If the bolts were coated with anti-seize compound by the manufacturer (or you are only using the outboard in fresh water), you'd be fine and the bolts wouldn't tend to seize up in the presence of salt water. Unfortunately, most makers of marine gear prefer to save a few pennies on each item by NOT using anti-seize compound.

Good luck
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor