Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2018, 10:50   #16

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 39
Re: To Rename Or Not Rename A Boat?

If you don't like the name, rename it.

My boat had such a name and it took a long time to come up with a new one. The old name was peeled and scraped off and we had new vinyl letters made and slapped them on. Downside is we had to deal with all sorts of paperwork & expenses due to the boat being a USCG documented vessel, registered MMSI, radio operators license, insurance, etc! Ouch!

We had a toast to Poseidon and pour said spirits into the sea. No need to do any of that superstitious stuff unless you want to. I had 3 groundings before the name change and none since, so go figure!
Mr O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 10:52   #17

Boat: Downeaster 38

As sailors we're inevitably a superstitious lot, perhaps because we're dealing with forces far stronger and more capricious than we are so it's possible that a fun ceremony can't hurt. Ever heard the old saying "there's no atheists in a storm at sea?"
We renamed our boat because that last one didn't fit us or the boat so we just looked up ceremonies, put a couple together and invited the whole boatyard to join in. They didn't need to be invited because they saw the bottle of whiskey and all drifted over but it was fun and we're feeling protected by Neptune as we invoked his oversight and generosity.
Rick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 11:12   #18

Boat: Hunter 33

I would definitely rename if I didn't like the name on it

In my case, the boat I bought last year was called Big Rosie and all my friends and I think its simple and funny so I kept the name
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big rosie.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	175517  
RobD527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 11:36   #19

Mine had the same name over almost 4 decades and under quite a few owners: I am not going to rename her.
Old 15-08-2018, 12:04   #20

Boat: 1987 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Rename it after a bar!
Hmm... Or maybe a liquor store?
Beaver Liquors - Avon Colorado...
BobFromColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 14:29   #21

Boat: Farr 1020

It all began in the days of tall ships. One engraved the name of the boat on a gold sovereign and placed it under the heel of the main mast. These masts were massive and only a very serious boatyard and months of work would remove it, so......
In the event of sinking, the gold became the possession of Davey Jones, or Posseidon if you prefer, it paid for the crew to go to heaven.
So, change the boats name and if she sinks, Davey would no know the dues have been paid and thus, he now had possession of the souls of the crew.

I come from east coast Pommyland, where the fishermen had the mantra "change her name, change her luck"!
So, it all depends on your belief about the after-life.
Have fun
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 14:54   #22

Boat: GibSea 472

Yes, always possible, as long as you follow a few simple rules.
1- You have to find a gold mother that would assit in the ceremony. This person shall not be red headed, virgin (Irish virgin are in general the worst);
2- The new name must be said the first time by the said lady in presence of the boat owner and its mate; The old name, never to be prononced again!... Ever!
3- A good glass of spirit(Not Bushmill, or any other spirit from this terrible Gaelic Country, god forbid!) shall be passed around after the gold mother sipped a bit of it), and more then a few drops dumped on the bow of the boat; Bourbon is acceptable, single malt scotch the best!.
4- a party shall follow!...
Simple!
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 16:13   #23
Marine Service Provider

Renaming is supposed to be bad luck. I didn't rename my first boat because I liked its original name. I renamed my second boat (it had a stupid name) but Irma had her way with her and beat her up pretty bad. She is fine now, the boat not Irma.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 19:06   #24

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If you do not want the existing name, you change it. I think this is the basic rule.
If you are superstitious then you missed a whole generation and have the mentality of our grandparents.
Cheers,
b.
I resemble that remark, so what's wrong with grand parents & does it apply to great grand-parents also may I ask?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 20:04   #25

Boat: Island Packet 40 cutter
pirate Re: To Rename Or Not Rename A Boat?

Just saying,I renamed one of my early boats and did no dumb ritual. A little later a stay broke and I lost the mast. I never changed another name .
Capt. Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 20:12   #26

Boat: Morgan 383, C&C 34, Kirby 25

I've renamed some and kept the name of others, always using Vigors renaming ceremony when I renamed.
Had a Shark called plastics (dumb name, owner had a plastics company) renamed her Manana, suited my lifestyle. Bought a Niagara 26 named Hot Chocolate, kept the name, what else do you call a rocket fast brown boat.(BTW new owners still have her named that) Bought a C&C 34 named Resolute, name fit left as is. Love that boat. Bought a Morgan 383 called Ocean Adventures, stupid name, rechristened her Easy Goin', suits my lifestyle. Bought a Kirby 25 as a training boat named Foreplay (owned by 4 racers) didn't suit my purpose or image so renamed her Black Magic (used a Disney M), she's a black hull. Used Vigors ceremony for all the renames and have had no issues in over 40 years of sailing. Vigors appeases the gods and keeps you safe, superstitious, maybe? But drinking Champagne and fine rum while bonding with your boat can't be a bad thing. BTW we had Champagne and fine rum with the boats we didn't rename as well.
Get your ass out there sailing and have fun, and stop stewing about the small stuff.
wolfesmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 22:26   #27

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

I think Loud Music is right. If is a special boat by its reputation or accomplishments leave it. Otherwise call it what ever you like.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 23:35   #28

I am not in the least bit superstitious except for anything nautical.Talking from years of experience, by all means rename a boat. However remember to have a due ceremony giving Neptune his due and keep the name FEMININE.In fact there should be a seperate one for relaunching and one for renaming. Two bottles of champagne!! I bought a yacht called "Uncle Dick" and had a deja vous feeling that i must change the name.Three months later a storm smashed her up.My next yacht was quickly renamed after my wife with the due double ceremony. I sold her a few years later to somebody who renamed it with a masculine name against my advice. A few months later she also ended on a bank.
GASF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 23:36   #29

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Many boats are sold that have names that are meaningful only to the previous owner. Sometimes those old names just sound silly, to the new owner. If you aren't superstitious, you should change the name if you don't like the old one.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 23:52   #30

Reminds me of a Cartoon i saw in a British Yachting Mag a few years ago.

Wife says to husband "Did you as I told you and named the boat after me."

Picture of the yacht's stern, painted on it

LARD ARSE
KiwiKen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat